jim straight

Hey jim. Been a mnute. Hows old jerry doing? Anyways im getting ready to head to the rands area next wk. Do i still need to pick up a permit to drive on the dirt roads to the gold fields and into the hills. Where wouldi i need to oick it up at and how much are they?

John

Jerry doing pretty good... Having knee issues and temporarily gave up nugget hunting as he felt it was better

for him to drywash... Time is short for you to get a permit to detect or drywash in the the Rand Mountain

Management area.... As far as I know the permits are still available at the BLM office in Ridgecrest 760-384-5400

and the Jawbone Station visiting center (try 760-383-1146). Take care and stay warm and dry... jim

Other then the Rand mountain management area there is less restrictions in the El Paso's and Summit range.

Thanks jim. I usually beep the el paso ranhe. Goler gulch ect. I juat dug out my follow the drywasher vol 3 big yeller book. Im still trying to find the others. 3 hours to gold and few more. Your a huge help with info and resources. Tha ks again. Hooe to see u soon at the old general store and get ya to sign a couple books. Jerry signed one pic for me . I sure enjoy his company back then. Ill give him an email soon and see how hes doing andmaube meet up with him. Hiw bout ol rich. Hows he doing?

John

Hwy jim. I called the jawbone visitors center and he told me i didnt need any special permit for driving my vehichle on the dirt roads. I do remember the club and jerry one time few yrs ago giving me one. But they said as long as my vehichle has plates and tags or green sticker i dont need any other permits to drive the roads or prospect. Can you tell me what the peritt is called and any other infobi may need.

John

Ok jim. Nevermind. After another call to the blm and then the visitirs center i was able to get what i needed. After explaining to the guy i was in a legal truck with plates and tags he kept saying no permits were required. Then after some explaining i will be in the el paso and rand mountain management area few more times he got me someone else. But yes one is needed for the rands mountain management area. Thanks.

Joh

yep.... for any prospecting on the RMMA you need a permit... Other areas just a legal registered vehicle

and only drive on the roads that are open to vehicles... As far my books, they are available through Rob

and 3-hrs is covers "the rands area" you are interested in.

At this point in your time schedule; both Jerry and Rich are your best contacts and

if'n you are a member of one of the prospecting associations within the RMMA, all you would need would

need would be your current membership card. Both Jerry and Rich know the 'drill' so 'hunker

up' with them.... My Best... jim

Thanks jim. I habe most ur books. They are just i. Some boxes somewhere. I will dedinately get with jerey and rich. My 5000 paxkage should be here tomorriw so in the next couple days ill be going for a day to test and run it. Supposed to be dry all week. Nit real warm but ni rain. We will see.

John

John, Jerry has a 4000 that he bought from Montana Bob a few years back. I know he found at least

one nice nugget with it. Best luck with the 5000. jim

I just called the visitor center and they said they do give permits. They also said you will not be cited for metal detecting without a permit. Permits are free. The visitor center is 40 minutes from the management area. Someone could be cited if they are going off the roads or something else but not for metal detecting. Prospecting is allowed.

Jim, is there gold there?

Yeah. I got a permit. Its just a map with a place u sign and print. They ask u read the rules and map areas. The permit isnt for prospecting. Its for driving the roads and to stop the off roaders from just blasting across the area and off roads. Tortuis preservation.The jawbone recreation just purchased a large amount if land for preservation of recreation. Theres alot if gold in the rands mountain management and the el paso mountain area. Also esst is a ldma camp and lots of prospecting. Also red mou tain area. Over by burro smidt area. Jim is a ton if info in this area. He has written many books. I have most of them. I went couple days ago with my uncle who cant hike like i can so we just played in flat areas for the peacee and gd weather. No luck. Just alot of usual trash and lead. Ill probably go again in a day or two. I habe an area i found 3 dinks in about two hours.

John

Jim. Is that the same montana bob that had that big trailer with a dredge sluice hooked up to recirculate and about a dozen 55 gal barrels a few yrs ago diggin in goler guch. He was a memeber of the oc49ers and was working one of their claims. He had a huge hole and i had found my first nuggets in the area around there. I remeber he had some gd gold. Worked hsrd for it but had a gd amount. Thats if its the same montana bob. Gd guy he was.

John

Not the same Montana Bob Dansie as he WOULD never dig a large open hole on any BLM claim

The BLM would be most unhappy to say the least!!!!

mn90403.... The Randsburg greater area and the El Paso and Summit ranges are a vast metalliferous area.

Hey jerry. Not sure if u have the same email. I tried sending u a message. Anyways im in Ca for few weeks and went out once. Planning on a couple more trips out to the rands area. Picked up another 5000 witha dozen coils id like to try out. I still have the same number and email. Be nice to see u again and maybe if ur up to it hitting a spot or two.

John

Johnstidman@yahoo.com

661-748-2320

Glad to see you posting again Sandtrap. :)As we both know there could be deeper gold in the RMMA. Give john a shout and show

him some areas that are on the fringe of the pounded association claims. If his 7000 is able to outpunch my Infinium and TDI and your 4000 and the multitudes :unsure::wacko::blink: of other VLF and PI detectors that have pounded the region over the past 30 years.... this certainly includes the Greater El Paso Summit Ranges that are still open BLM ground. Just remember that Tye Paulson :huh:found a large nugget back in 1977 (pg 52 in 3-hrs to gold). ;)

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to say Jim, I love your books and hope that we will cross paths in the very near future!

I've also been frequenting the RMMA and just saw on a Kiosk that I've been needing a permit to travel the roads out there! I'll also be stopping by Jawbone Station to pick one up. Apparently they don't expire, so that's a positive. I wouldn't mind at all to link up with another detectorist in the area. Ive been doing a fair amount of research for that general area and have been out there for 3 days or so every 2 weeks. If anybody is interested meeting up for the day or more just let me know.

Edited by diggin4aug