Back in Time - Bud Guthrie's 70+ Ouncer found in Arizona

• Admin

Tremendous 70+-ounce Gold in Quartz nugget – found in desert country a few miles east of the Colorado River canyon bottom in Arizona during the winter of 1989 by amateur gold hunter Bud Guthrie – estimated at $300,000 or more.

The astounding Gold in Quartz nugget, found in Dolan Springs, Mohave County, Arizona, was the find of a lifetime for Bud Guthrie and the nugget has achieved a good bit of fame in the subsequent 20-plus years after its unearthing. After spending hour after hour searching with his “gold bug” metal detector, and turning up little save an occasional stray bullet, Guthrie moved a few miles east into desert country where there appeared to be some old mine workings. Sweeping the open areas between scrub bushes, he was rewarded with a beep and began to dig. A full 16 inches down he ran into something solid and the rest, as they say, is history.

Here is the picture below of the great looking piece.  Always nice to see some large Arizona gold.  I heard around Dolan Springs area, but not 100% certain.  Others guys might have heard rumors or know the general area better.  

Bud.jpeg

Thats it....im throwing my 5000 away....................:P
  Its still out there. Just have to get the dang coil over it! :)
Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Sasquatch,

I'm positive we are talking the same guy.  I never met him, just knew of him.  I even heard rumors many years back that the piece never truly came from Arizona, but rather a old mine in Montana.   Who knows, but rumors fly when a big nugget is found.  

Either way it's a beautiful piece of gold.  

Hi Rob,

Bud found the piece in the King Tut area. There is an article I believe in one of the treasure magazines from the 90's about it. It was auctioned off a year or two ago. 

Sasquatch- That is the Bud from Helena MT.

Very nice piece....

Dave

" Bud told me a story about hunting nuggets at night on a farm that he had been told not to hunt on. He was detecting away and suddenly had an uncomfortable feeling. He turned on his cap lamp a low and behold he was surrounded by a herd of cows, scared the life out of him".

That's funny. 

• Admin

Hey SanDomingo Jim,

Ya, I guess we have to understand.  I'm not sure I would tell anyone right out of the gate where I found a huge nugget.  We all know has it causes a mini-gold rush to the area. 

I have always been a guy to share and talk for the most part about my finds.  However, I have been burned over it many times also for having loose lips hoping someone wouldn't run out and beat your patch up ..... 

1 hour ago, nuggethunting said:

Hey SanDomingo Jim,

Ya, I guess we have to understand.  I'm not sure I would tell anyone right out of the gate where I found a huge nugget.  We all know has it causes a mini-gold rush to the area. 

I have always been a guy to share and talk for the most part about my finds.  However, I have been burned over it many times also for having loose lips hoping someone wouldn't run out and beat your patch up .....

Yeah, been there, done that. I have also been burned by sharing too much info about certain finds, and that's my own fault. I generally prospect alone now because of it. Been at it since about 1982 and have met some great people with a ton of knowledge on the subject. Sometimes I'm not sure which is more fun, chasing gold or listening to their stories. It's all good. 

• Admin

Hey Jim,

Ya, I guess I have to look back to when I found my first gold nugget, I was hot to trot to find more gold.  I guess the "Gold Fever - Gold Bug" gets too you and you don't even know.  I'm sure we all get the calls, emails and such about where to go and guys wanting to hunt old patches.  I'm all for helping someone out, which I think most do, but it's not a "One Way Street."  

The old stories are sure great to listen to, regardless of how much true is really in them. :D