Info Needed for Australia Trip

Trying to plan a trip to Perth Western Australia.   Would really like to hear from you guys that have been there.    I don't really want a guided tour but would like to hook up with someone over there who knows the area and is honest.   Is there any problems bringing in my own  detector (gpz)  ?  I have been wanting to get over there for 20 years .   Figure I better go before I run out of time......  any help would be appreciated.   bj

hi BJ

firstly let me tell u that u need to do a lot of homework otherwise a group tour is the way to go.

u need a Western Australian Miner Right--$25aud

u will not be able to bring a li-ion battery on the plane

its hot in WA from now through to April next year temps will be regularly in the high 30'c-40'sC over 100'F

plan your trip as well as u can coz most of the time u will b driving past gold looking for gold.

u will need a vehicle preferably a 4X4 Toyota or similar. u can hire campers to tour with and they have a bed, water, fridge, power etc etc.

how long r u coming for?

i'm 1000 miles north of Perth and distance isn't a problem for me.

just something to get u started.

regards

oneday

16 hours ago, oneday said:

u will not be able to bring a li-ion battery on the plane

If that were true no one would be taking computers, pads or phones...there are specific regs so check the airline rules...

You should go to the Oz forums and post your desires...Get Doug Stones reference book Metal detecting Gold and Relics to get some idea of where to go...

If you are going for two weeks or less you really should consider a tour...Mark Hyde of Gold Prospecting Australia is an excellent operator.

make sure you have a passport and get an electronic visa for OZ

mate I don't want to stomp on your head but maybe u should check with the Australian Airlines re their policies.

furthermore u need to sign a declaration if u r airfreighting lithium ion batteries just like minelab do thats why they have a minimum charge in the battery.

theres a lot of battery power in a detector battery compared to a mobile phone otherwise we would be using mobile phone batteries to run our detectors.

r

oneday

oh, no worries...stomping me would not be easy, Mate!

Anyway, I did say to check the airline regs....I only offer guidance to help not to be antagonistic... 

BJ; there are many issues involved in going to Oz..plan carefully and get the facts...all you have from us are opinions...

fred

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guy's.  I can stay for about a month. Figured I'd do a 10 day tour  to get the lay of the land and learn the many rules that seem to be in place about places to hunt then go out on my own for the remaining time.  Hopefully I will have my 19 " coil for the GPZ soon.   Like you say I really need to do my homework.   I'd like to go in April.    I've been hunting for the past 25 years but haven't got a clue on how to hunt WA.  I meet a guy (Hyderdal? red headed guy back in the 80's)   who just got back with a sack of really nice pieces.   I've wanted to go ever since.  Now that I'm getting older guess it's time to get it done.....bj

Easy guys no one needs to get stomped....   Have a Fosters.      I do have another question.      Looking on line under miners tenements.  It says I need miners rights.  Ok then it says miners Lic. .?      Also all the claim Info got really confusing .      What's it take to spend the money  go over there take a  5 to 10 day tour. To figure out what's going on and go out on our own for the rest of our months stay.?   Or just hook up with someone over there that wants some company to share expenses.   Being a Rooky to the area I don't have a problem paying for the experience.    From what I have read is it can be rugged out there and I want to learn in a short time the best way of going about it.  

Should I rent a vehicle  and gear (have detectors). in Perth  or wait till I  get to my destination?

thanks bj

You will need a Miners Right, that is for Western Aus...other states have other requirements. Search the web and find a tour that suits your needs, none are cheap!!!!

Airfare from San Diego to LA to Sydney to Perth and back again usually costs around 2500 for me...you may get free airmiles or other discount.

Renting a transport is expensive, you will likely need to get it in Perth...again extensive planning and research is required.

Dougs book and others may get you on open ground but it won't be virgin...Pieter H found pounds of gold, probably still does but don't expect too much.

Get on the gold forums here and in Oz and get to know the members and let them get to know you and what you need...

I see you are in Lake Almanor; did you ever know my sister and brother in law...Rosie and David Stanton?

Don't worry about the stomping... Some Ozzies like to start with a fight...but I love them anyway!!!

fred

On 11/20/2016 at 10:22 AM, fredm said:

You will need a Miners Right, that is for Western Aus...other states have other requirements. Search the web and find a tour that suits your needs, none are cheap!!!!

Airfare from San Diego to LA to Sydney to Perth and back again usually costs around 2500 for me...you may get free airmiles or other discount.

Renting a transport is expensive, you will likely need to get it in Perth...again extensive planning and research is required.

Dougs book and others may get you on open ground but it won't be virgin...Pieter H found pounds of gold, probably still does but don't expect too much.

Get on the gold forums here and in Oz and get to know the members and let them get to know you and what you need...

I see you are in Lake Almanor; did you ever know my sister and brother in law...Rosie and David Stanton?

Don't worry about the stomping... Some Ozzies like to start with a fight...but I love them anyway!!!

fred

Fred; thanks for the Info.   Can't say I remember Rosie and Dave.   Might if I saw them.   I've been up here since 1982.    I'm looking at the Leonorra area. They have a three day class and a lot of land to access after the initial three days.  Not cheap but worth it if it's not hammered it would be worth it.  They seem like nice people via my emails.  .   It's 10  hours from Perth.   I wonder if they rent off road  rv's.....Thank's bob

• 2 weeks later...

Lithium batteries:       I found out that no Lithium batteries  in the cargo area,   You can take them with you in your carry on  if they are in a plastic baggy with the terminals tapped.    One more question.   Should I take the GB2 with me as a spare detector?    I'm just thinking  the hot  (ironized) ground might be a bit much for it.  bob

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Just got back on the forum for a number of years.  Too long  :)

Well, my wife and I started to go to West Australia (WA) in 2016, went most years until 2014.  Up north of Kal, around Leonora,Laverton and north mostly.  Usually for 3-4 months, sometimes more.

I'd be glad to let you pick my brains (what are left anyhow) here on the forum, or for more detailed stuff, maybe the email would be better.

Things always change, but we never had problems with taking batteries with us.  We mostly used small batteries, such as Coiltek used to sell, or sold now by an unnamed dealer.  Smaller, lighter, easier to carry.  One year we did carry the bigger batteries from Minelab, and had to get a document from Minelab stating capacities, etc., and had to carry them as checked baggage.

Mostly flew out of Seattle, either using Singapore Airlines (great airline), ask me sometime about flying between Indonesia and Perth, starting out with two engines and ending up with one.  Mostly flew using airline miles with Alaska Air and Qantas out of Seattle again.

You will love the country, the people and the gold.

Gary

The first year, we assisted Hoss Blackman when he had a GPAA tour group.  This was just when the the SD 2000 came out.  The tour group had all US detectors, Gold Bugs and Whites, my wife had a Minelab Gold Striker and Hoss and I had 2000's.

We'd go out to a patch north of Leonora, and there was small gold every where.  For some.  Hoss found lots of small pieces, and some nice 1 oz + pieces at depth.  I found enough that I was happy (first real prospecting trip, still learning machine) and my wife found several small pieces.  The tour group found ZIP.  Ground too hot, just covered with small ironstone.

So is it worth while taking a US VLF machine?  Not in my mind.  Don't know what you'll be using, but I'd suggest buying a used Minelab, 3000 or Extreme or better, and just taking the box.  Sell it when you get home.  That said, some of my aussie professional prospectors still carry a SD2200, as they feel it handles deep ground as well as anything.

Just our opinions.

Gary and Agnes

Thanks for the Info.   We are flying into Kalgoorlie driving to Leonora.  taking a 3 day class from Gold Talk.   I have a 3000 and have upgraded to a 7000.  19 1nd 14' coils.     Fred my neighbor is going to use the 3000.  I'll leave the GB2 at home.   Staying at the White House hotel , bar Rest.   Got the APLA,  international drivers  lic.  need to get the miners rights  when we get there. going to stock up with supplies, Sat phone rental,  gas cans ,water  containers,  emergency food,  tire repair kit,  etc. I have uhf / vhf radio,  gps,  in Kalgoorlie.   My 3000 has the Peter Woodward Mods and only runs about 10 Minutes on the small Lithium batteries I used with it before, so  I need to use the large gel cells with it.  those  will be taped  and in cargo , the lithium  batteries for the 7000 have to be in my carry on bag.  I have Been talking to a few people over there  trying to get as much Info as possible  Gold  Talk folks seem very nice  very helpful  they have access to a lot of hectors  N of Leonora that we can use.  That would be a good start.   Still trying to figure out the Tengraph system and how to over lay on to google Earth.    We are leaving April 5th so it's getting close.   Not looking  forward to the 28 hours of flight time and  Having a steering wheel  on the right side of the car........   my email is bjretired@gmail.com     Can't wait to get there.

• 9 months later...

My neighbor Fred and I took the trip to W. Australia.  flew to Kalgurly  rented a mine truck and drove to Leonora,   Stayed at the White House Hotel.   Hunted all over that area.   The GPZ7000 worked well in the hot ground.  found a 18 gm. Spec.    Meet a lot of really great people saw some camels, lizzards and snakes.  Steve Carr  (Nugget in Hand Prospecting)  really  helped us out and showed us some good area that   produced..  Tony and Liza at Gold Talk Leonora (great people)put on a 3 day class that really helped us learn the way to hunt over there The only thing I didn't like was the $10.00 beer and the long plane ride......and the fly's  .I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Edited by bjretired
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...