Iron Pyrite (Fool's Gold) Boulder Found

• Admin

Hello All,

I was out poking around with the Minelab Gold Monster during the week and stumbled onto this huge, Iron Pyrite boulder.  As you can see in the picture, I have my Minelab Gold Monster 1000 sitting on top of the rock.  You can also see where I chipped away nearly 100 lbs of the pure Iron Pyrite crystals.  It was a struggle to carry all these crystals in the backpack and out of a large ravine, but I got it done.  

Just thought you would like to see.  

IronPyrite01.jpg

• Like 1

Dang! Thats a lot of Pyrite.

Be interesting to hear if there is any gold on it.

Cool finds

Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

As far as the Gold Monster 1000, Yes I have found some gold with it.  It's all been small stuff, as I have been just working exposed bedrock.  I haven't even tried the larger coil yet, just been using  the small round for dink hunting and trying to see it's capability on small gold.  At first I was thinking the GB2 had it really beat, then realized when I crank of the sensitivity a bit it's right at the same level so far and much better on mineralization.   I tested it a few weeks ago on some VMS bedrock and it purred across it.  I remember hunting this with the GB2 and could't keep it quiet.  

As for the Pyrite boulder, I just took what I could for now.  I know where it is and I doubt anyone will find it.  It's keep within a canyon, so go find it if you want it ..... LOL :ph34r:  I chipped 70% of the massive, solid pocket out.  

• Admin

Hey Andy,

I have sold a bunch of Gold Monster's since the release and they are still selling very well.  I haven't had one customer complain about the coil issues.  I have seen it on the other forums, but no complaints have came back to me about this issue, at least yet.  As for my GM 1000, I'm not having any issues either.  I have the coil cable fastened real nice to the shaft, so there is minimal movement from the cable.  

Would reeeeeealy like to know what your plans are with the pyrite?  default_pop.gif

Been to a mine that processed it to get the gold off of it....but it was more of a peacock color.

Tom H. 

Edited by oldies1955

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hey Col, Honestly I have found some pyrite ore that has given the PI some fits, but nothing like a VLF would.  A VLF will scream on most, a PI might just be more of a moan type signal, just depends on how much metal is really left.  

Rob