Searching for a Lost Placer in Northern Arizona

• Admin

Hello All,

We have been researching a lost placer in Northern, AZ for some time, so we finally got an opportunity this weekend to give it a whirl.  A partner and I hiked in several miles from the nearest remote road and tried our best at finding the lost placer, if it even really exists.   What is strange, is it's not near any typical gold bearing placer areas.  We didn't see any prospects, mines or any signs of placering the entire day.  I was lucky enough in one of the gullies to find this small quartz and gold specimen weighting around 2 Dwt's.   After hitting this small piece, a partner and I really slowed down and tried to find another piece of so.  The wash was pretty barren and even the side gullies.  

I guess we will just chalk this up as a lonely nugget gully.  

It's out there .....

SpecimenGPZ.jpg

specimenGPZ02.jpg

• Like 4

Rob, neat story. Kind of reminds me of the N. AZ placer that my great grandfather found, and then lost. During the early days of the Depression he found a spot, far from "known" placers, where, by himself, and using an old hand-crank "huff and puff," he was able to modestly support his own family as well as those of his two younger brothers. Not knowing how long the Depression AND gold deposit would last, he refused to tell anyone of the location. One day, back in town, while crossing the road headed to the saloon for a beer, he was struck and killed by a brakeless truck. The location of the spot died with him. HH Jim

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments.  I agree that most gold isn't alone.  However, in this spot the bedrock was minimal at best, so much of the stuff is deep.  I know how to get back to this spot, but was hoping some other gullies in the nearby area might hold some nuggets also.  If the hike wasn't so long and  the terrain a bit rough and very thick in spots, I might attempt it again really soon.  

The Lost Placer could be just fine gold, but I would think if I found it, I would find the signs of placering if they were of any size.  Most of the placers around Arizona have some nuggets, so hopefully at some point we can locate it.  

It was great getting back behind the GPZ.  I was recovering from a few surgeries, so the GPX was a bit lighter and more ergonomic to use during those times.  

• Like 1

Cool! at least you got a nice one :).

There is a "lost" gold find in the area I frequent. Im always looking for a certain type of terrain on the side of a mountain.

Glad you were able to get out.

Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Yes,  the country was pretty thick, but open in some places.  Most of the gullies and areas near the benches were pretty thick.  

Ron - it was for sure up in the hills, not down low in the typically alluvial stuff.   Lots of quartz blows around, most of them looked "Bull" or barren.  

• Admin

Hey Adam,

You got that right.  I enjoy getting out and hiking, detecting and making peace with the Lord.  The gold is just a bonus in my book.  I believe I found my share of gold over the years and met some great people in the process.  I also lost a few friends over gold, as I believe it can bring the best or worst out of people.  

• Like 4

So here's a question for the searchers of new ground. Where do you start your search for a new ground?

The rule I have always heard is to start looking for gold where gold has been found. Also look for similar areas and geology where you have found gold before.

I once built a building in the center of the Amaragosa Gold Placer. An area that was mentioned on one of the forums years ago. As it turned out it is on private property. I asked permission to detect and was denied. What a rich history is left or hidden. There was definitely gold there. Now, this is part of Caterpillars 7,800 acres of ground 30 miles south of Tucson. 

I also love the research but the first clue seems to be the hardest to come by.

Fish.........

I kind of do the same thing.

If I find gold in a area, I research it, look for some of the same geology and POUND the ground :)
Some times it works...other times not.

But I will say, I have found gold in totally unlikely regions in the lower desert. IE: volcanics that were a real pain in the neck to detect.  (Dont know what happened back in the dinosaur days)  So, I kind of just hit ever thing and if it turns up YE HAH!!
Tom H.  

• Like 2

• Admin

Hey Fish,

The first clue is probably getting close (starting out) to known gold areas or placers.  From there, branch out chasing the geology, vein systems, rock types and anything else associated with where gold was found prior.  That being said, some of the best places I have found over the years were not the "typical textbook" locations most would be searching for.  

Second thing, get out there and start searching.  This can includes hundreds of hours exploring and detecting without a single piece of gold. 

• Like 4