Minelab SD 2100 value

I have a chance to buy a lightly used SD 2100 with 2, maybe 3 coils if the old fella that has it can find the other one. I think i can get it for around $700. Is this a fair price and is the 2100 a decent nugget detector. And help appreciated.  Thanks

• Admin

Hey Rod,

I would check it out, if it works well it's worth $700.00.  It's a great PI, so you will get good depth, good sensitivity to smaller bits and great mineral immunity.  I found a lot of nuggets with the SD 2100 back in the day. 

There are a lot of aftermarket parts and searchcoils that will also help increase performance even more. 

• Like 2

• Admin

Hey Rod,

There are huge differences with a PI vs. VLF, but each have their advantages.  The new ML Gold Monster 1000 is a VLF gold detector, which is extremely sensitive to small gold.  The VLF will struggle in medium to high mineralization, where a PI will just purr through it.  The VLF's are also much lighter and easier to use all day.  The major advantage of a PI is the mineral immunity and depth (typically 2-3 times the depth of a conventional VLF).  

For the price of under $1000, I would consider a used PI.  

The TDI and SD 2100 are around the same class.  I have always been a Minelab fan, the the TDI is a great unit also.  The SD 2100 will be easier to use, the TDI has some functions like Pulse Delay and such that kind of confuse new PI customers.  If you can get either for around $700, they are both worth a look at.  

Thanks for the info, i do appreciate. I know the difference between them. I had a TDI a while back but had to sell it because i thought i was going to have to make a trip to Mich. because my dad was not doing well. But he is ok now and i am looking for a machine to replace it.

I'd go for the old 2100 for $700 in a heart beat...My old Baboo 2100 has found a few pounds of gold and is pretty easy to learn and use ...The White's unit is obnoxious in my opinion ... Esp. if you are using it around any ML PI units...heavy cross talk...Cheers, Unc