Modded 4500 review

Had my gpx 4500 modified a few weeks ago and was able to get out and use it last weekend, so I figured id write a review on my experience with it so far. The machine very different than before, my favorite is the manual tuning to what size/ depth gold you are Targeting. I didn’t play with this too much but had it set on manual tune between 150-165 depending on EMI.  This setting is for basic detecting. I was on new ground and didn’t want to target small or big gold without knowing if there was even any there. I plan on playing with this more my next trip back.  Next up is the variable front end gain they add to the detector, the slightest turn of the knob is crucial because it can make it super sensitive or you can turn it up too high and won’t pick anything up, I think I had it too high my first day because it was much more noisy and only dug a few shallow targets. This front end gain works with the back gain in your lcd menu.  I had my back gain set at 7 and the new front gain between 35-50%. This gave me the best results for the mineralized ground I worked in through the weekend. I did have to turn it down if it got too noisy in really bad ground. I feel this upgrade was worth the money spent and would do it again. I was in an area that was detected before and was able to pick up a few nuggets. Not sure if they were just targets they missed or if they didn’t  pick them up with their machine. Overall the machine is much smoother/quieter and more sensitive. Here is a pic of what I found. The big one was 2.8 grams and the smallest one would not register on my scale but is approximately .1-.2 of a gram. 8E294DE0-D316-4EFD-9596-1F2D29486A38.thumb.jpeg.ca8a0a149298c29dd7da9e61fb240570.jpeg

• Like 1

GPX Dan

Good to hear you like the upgrades.  What size coil and how deep were those nuggets found at?  I’ve had Link Tech do upgrades on an sd2100 and a gp3500 and it made a huge improvement in threshold and the size, depth of targets found.  I will soon be sending my 5000 to him for modification.  

Wes.

Edited by WHawkins

The small nugget was found about 3-4” deep. The bigger ones were  a little over a foot, it was 2.8 grams and 2 grams but clear signals and no way to miss them. I plan on playing playing with the settings more this next weekend. The detector feels like a completely new machine with the mods, acts and even sounds different. I think wait time on mine was 3 weeks, one week to ship there, 1 week for them to work on the unit and a week for shipping back to me in California. 

• Admin

Hey Dan,

Thanks for posting your results from the modded GPX and the Coiltek 14-inch Round Mono Elite.  I think you will like the new NF 17x13 EVO you just purchased, it will get a bit more depth and is very sensitive for the size of the coil.  All the new Flat Wind coils, Elite and EVO's are great.  

Keep us posted here if you would.  

• Like 1

GPX-Dan

His return time is pretty quick, I assume it’s Woody, Peter Woodland, at Link Technologies.  As long as you don’t send it with more than a hundred dollars of insurance, if you do customs grabs it and holds on to it.  They hold on to it for a long time if you get nasty with them.  Long story.

When you ship your detector for a mod do you have to send the whole unit ? I have yet to find anything free in this world, So can you are do you wish to say your cost for the mod you had done ? I was wondering too if by doing this if it’s still in warranty does that void it ?

Thanks!

Chuck

Chuck I am sure that the mods would void your Minelab warranty but you should search that out for yourself.   The costs for the upgrades range from $650 to $2200 this was posted a year ago so these prices may have gone up.   If you had a older detector and couldn't afford a new machine then maybe getting a mod done would be worth it.

Way2cool

Thanks for the quick replay. I can see depending on the cost and what one can afford if you would want to go that route.

I’ve heard on here if a mod made it equal to the Minelab above it. I say I just want to make it better than it was. If I wanted it to out do the next then by not buy it. This way I’m not paying for the mod, shipping and taking the chance of it getting lost are damage in the mail.

I’m sure Rob will be more than happy to sell us a up grade to the one we have now plus a nice long warranty. Don’t forget that great field training that goes with it. That’s one thing I have yet to take advantage of.

Chuck

I pretty sure the mods negate the factory warranty but Woody garrantees his work for two to three years I think, may be more.  Honestly I’ve had such poor luck with getting my machines repaired correctly the first time at Minelab I would send them to Woody to be repaired warranty or not.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my 5000 modded by woody about 2 years ago. The cost was 1340.00 u.s. at that time.

woody has a 5 year warranty on his mods. They have worked excellent on my machine. To fully understand the mods I made a test patch with various weights of lead at different depths and this proved invaluable in understanding what the mods will do.

if you sent it to OZ you need to print in large legible print " for repair and return" . I put 35 bucks value on the paperwork I filled out and no insurance. It's scary but I got it back with no problems.

Chip

• Like 2