Rye Patch ?

I have heard a lot about Rye Patch Nevada and now that we are retired the wife and i are thinking about taking a trip down there so i can do some detecting for nuggets? We have a 4x4 PU and small 18' camp trailer. Are there areas you can get to with a trailer and set up close to where you want to hunt. Is it even possible to get a trailer in there? Can anyone go and hunt? We are thinking about some time in May, weather in Oregon and over the passes permitting. Any chance some of you might be there and be willing to give a new comer some tips on nugget detecting. I have a Minelab GPX 4000, a Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and a Whites Gold Master V-sat. all of which i need a lot more experience with. Hope to see some of you there.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:51 PM, Rod K said:

I have heard a lot about Rye Patch Nevada and now that we are retired the wife and i are thinking about taking a trip down there so i can do some detecting for nuggets? We have a 4x4 PU and small 18' camp trailer. Are there areas you can get to with a trailer and set up close to where you want to hunt. Is it even possible to get a trailer in there? Can anyone go and hunt? We are thinking about some time in May, weather in Oregon and over the passes permitting. Any chance some of you might be there and be willing to give a new comer some tips on nugget detecting. I have a Minelab GPX 4000, a Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and a Whites Gold Master V-sat. all of which i need a lot more experience with. Hope to see some of you there.

Hi Rod, I reckon that if I can get up to the top of Rye Patch with this monster, so can you... I was in the process of moving from the Northwest to the Southwest and stopped to nugget hunt overnight, I'm probably the only person who's ever taken a pickup truck load of dredging equipment to the top of Rye Patch (there's no water up there..grin)

Jen

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0132.jpg

Hi Rod. Unless they are muddy, the roads out there are exactly as Jennifer has posted in her photos, and the road on the west side pf the reservoir goes all the way to Sawtooth and beyond. When you can see the roads up close and personal, you will see the sharp shale/shist rocks that eat up tires.  
As I wrote on NuggetShooter, some people camp on the BLM land just outside the park and then take their 4x4's or whatever from there. Some drive their rigs into the outback and camp while others like to be plugged-in somewhere. It all depends on what you want to do -- and how many spare tires you have.  

Jen I hit a rock that I did not see 50 Km Off road one day. It took out 2 tyres and the front wheel alignment. Only had one spare so I see your point it not nice to get caught like that. When I got back I lent a couple of wheels and had to do a 500 Km round trip to get 4 new tyres more suited for situation. 

Speed is bad for tire failures out there, as well as the wrong tires, some in our group have had tire failures, due to inadequate tire specs, load range B tires do not cut it at all out there, despite looking like a great offroad tire, they aren't, personally I won't run anything but 8 ply tires with 3 ply sidewalls, the tacoma doesn't like 10 ply, a lot of the tire failures are from sidewall cuts, the tires with 3 ply sidewalls are much heavier tires at around 50 lbs per tire versus 35 lbs or so for a lesser tire, but havn't affected my mpg, I run BFG TA/KO's, usa made, the only other option I know of usa mfg is General X3 tires they are three ply sidewalls and usa mfg, china mfg tires are also responsible for a lot of tire failures. You get what you pay for in tires.  You can pay now or pay later.

Edited by Mxt Sniper
  • Like 2

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlars are all I've been running on my truck for 10 years now. Strictly meant for off road use being a traction. However they are very quiet for being traction type tires on pavement and Kevlar sidewalls mean much more durable and less likely to have a puncture. I've only had one puncture in those 10 years which was a chunk of steel on the highway. Also made in the USA. As MXT said, you get what you pay for. MT/R's usually run over $1,000 per set of 4. I drive off road with confidence all the time. Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

I think the bedrock is something like shale on edge. Whatever it is, it is sharp and always wins in a battle with bad or cheap tires - especially if speed is a part of the equation. Luckily it is so beautiful out there it isn't hard to slow down (just a touch), and enjoy the view. Also, if it's warm it's probably super dusty and sometimes there are potholes that are entirely filled with facepowder-like dirt that isn't visible until you hit it.

Edited by FlakMagnet
  • Like 1

• Admin

Hey Guys/Gals,

I remember the days at Rye Patch, 20+ years ago when the roads were just as bad, if not worse.   I have been with guys that had blowouts.  I never had one in my vehicle, but I also drove slow on the roads and had BFG All Terrains.  These are are some of my favorite and most reliable tires I have used.  I'm running the KO2 version now on a heavier 2500 HD truck.  

• Like 1