Homesteads and handstacks??

Question is, there are no signs of placer or hard rock mining in the area I was detecting yesterday.  I can’t upload the pic so I’ll paint it.  Two hand stacked walls to the mouth and side of the wash. Closest of any signs of mining would be a 1/2 mile from here.  Why would there be what appears to be a small foundation this far remote??  There are no old can dumps and I found only 2 pieces of trash when I hunted the wash above it ( likely from motorcycles).  Second question is what’s the best way to research if a lode has detectable gold??  I have read a lot about micron gold and the thousands of ounces they have produced but nothing really drives it home by saying the lode had chunks of free gold waiting to be detected. Wishful thinking I know?.  Thanks for the input!

• Like 1

A picture would be great !  You found handstacked walls on a wash , get back and detect more !  Yes , it could only have been fine gold , so you can check for that too. Hunt the heck out of the area. Foundations meant people had the inclination to stick around a little while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's all according to just how old those walls are.  Is the side walled area where the wash flattened out and slowed down?  If they were before folks took vacuums out I would go to the side wall stack and get to bed rock, clean out the cracks and suck them out with a vacuum.  See just what you got and go from there.  Like Adam said that area has to be scouted much more than you have.  

Old Tom

• Thanks 1

So if you adjust the color in a picture and not make everything work so hard you can post a pic??.  So my Jeep has 6” on either side of this hand stack Jeep garage.  Each wall is about 6’ in length that you cannot see.  Absolutely no signs of any mining anywhere within a half mile.  No bench workings or old header/tailings piles.  Good input so far friends thanks!  Old Tom yes to your question.  The foundation looks like it was put out of the way of the wash and at the mouth where it widens.  It looks almost too perfect kind of like the work ethic the Chinese had but I can’t recall if they were ever back there.  I’ll have to double check that.  The terrain and geology look identical to where I found 29 grams a month ago which is why I was in there to begin with.  Broken schist with large and small stringers.

41660109-C665-4DB3-BC2F-AFB2C25B937D.jpeg

Edited by BrownNugget
Added to comment.

• Admin

Hey Brown Nugget,

Check out the two videos I have on my Youtube Channel that show some handstacking.   I'm sure you know what it is, but typically it's right along the creek where you will see it.  Handstacking is a great sign of gold placering, but don't always mean nugget gold.  That being said, I'm not sure I haven't found a nugget around handstacking.  :ph34r:

• Like 1