Hearing the frequency

Can anyone tell me what frequency the GPX 5000 put out to the head phones or to a external speaker. I know my hearinf is bad and can't hear certain frequencies, am I not hearing some nuggets? I don't wear hearing aids (yet) if I find my hearing is hurting my hunting I will get them. But if it is just to hear the wife better, I will wait a few more years. When I go in for a hearing test, I would like to know what the GPX puts out and have them test me for that. Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't answer your Q about output frequency from the detector however someone most likely will or you can research it.
Try looking thru the owners manual back pages for Specifications list it may be there.
BUT I can give you some insight on hearing, I recommend you investigate "Black Widow"  Headphones  150 ohms.
Made by Detector Pro, I believe Rob here who runs this forum carries them.
I started using them many years ago with the GP and GPX series detectors.
Amazing difference for the hearing impaired.

Just run through the tones on your detector and find the one that is most hear-able to you...be aware that some ability to hear a specific sound amongst other sounds may affect that choice...the spec's will give you the range of the detector.

fred

• Like 1

Mt;

I am assuming you know there is a tone adjustment on your detector...it ranges from mad mosquito to booming base tones...after you set-up the detector up away from city/emi sources you can use a small test nugget. I do not like super high tones- drives me wacky! However real low tones are not sharp enough.  

Jonathan Porter prefers higher tones and some do not- based on personal preference and ability to hear...good luck!

fred

Yes I have played with the tone switch. But what I have been reading about sound or loss of hearing, there is a difference between "tone" and "frequency" That is what I am trying to figure out if I am missing anything. I know I can't hear a high frequency sound, as most people loose that hearing as they get older, but I am sure mine is worst than most. Maybe I am just trying to find an excuse why I haven't found that mega nugget yet.

• Like 1

It has to be there to find it...

I have a friend, I will call him Norm...he has severe hearing loss yet he finds gold as well as anyone and better than me. I have come to believe that hearing loss is not always a detriment to prospecting...

I don't have the technical knowledge to explain, BUT, sound is frequency which we perceive as various tones from bass a low frequency to mosquito buzz, a high frequency...

I hope this is more or less correct... 

fred

Get yourself a pair of Blackwidows, I have used them on the 2100 2200 3000 3500 and now on my 4500.
Also used em on VLF's and they WILL change the game for you.
They come up used at times on various classifieds ads also.
And as Fred suggested play with the tone adjustment to find an "acceptable" sound for yourself.

• Like 1