ARE MINELAB PI'S SUPERIOR?

Montana I will say that I must agree with you on that Pulse Devil. To much hype for something that only exists in theory.

Hi Doug The reason I made this statement above is that I have always been led to believe that even though Dave has working field tested models, bench tested models of the Pulse Devil by upgrading or improving them and not yet field testing them means only in theory they will work.

"Because a device has not yet been tested in an environment for which it was created, it only exists in theory" Albert Einstein

Correct?????? yes or no? ;)

AzNuggetBob

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi AZnuggetBob,

Question, if you change the sheetmetal on a new car does that make the new car a theoretical unproven model?

The latest basic design changes on the PD have merely changed the adjustments from a knob you turn by hand and one that is controlled digitally. The fundamental operating circuitry has not changed but the technique to change the pot has. In other words, if the pot originally used was a 50K and that has been thoroughly tested, then the digital pot is also a 50K pot. Again, the only difference lies in the technique in adjusting it.

Today, this is the industry standard. Eliminate the manual pot and reduce failures. Instead, use new digital pots that do exactly the same thing but mount on the pc board. Wiring problems are minimized as well as concerns of dirt getting into the controls.

The bottom line is reliability goes up, failure rates go down and customer satisfaction is improved.

The problem or delay has been in just how these adjustments are made via programming and how it is displayed on the LCD. Now, one of the added features is to design in preset settings when have been assumed to be the best to start with. So, the programming will have to systematically set x number of controls for each specific type of hunting.

Now, if the programmer misses one of the presets, that doesn't mean it won't work. It simply means, it may not be set for the best possible conditions at the onset. The owner can still change the settings.

Personally, for me, I could test the basic design with just the ability to be able to make the individual adjustments. I don't need the presets. However, Dave would prefer the unit go out with all features working as he expects.

On a little different note, last night Dave explained one of his little circuit designs he uses to adjust the automatic gain adjustment. I had wondered how he was doing that. Now, I have to admit, his technique is one of the slickest ideas I have heard of in a while. I have seen the general technique used in a different fashion so I know it works and works well. Again, this circuit has already been tested.

He has really has some unique designs involved.

Reg

Hi AZnuggetBob,

Question, if you change the sheetmetal on a new car does that make the new car a theoretical unproven model?

Reg I think Dave changed more than just sheet metal Did he Not??? :P

AzNuggetBob

Bob,

In technical terms, basically, he did not make much more than cosmetic changes, in my opinion. The fundamental principles pertaining to how it works, and the depth capabilities didn't change. The discrimination abilities are the same also.

Why all the concern? Jeez, it is like many people are hoping it doesn't exist or never makes it to market? I would think people would want the competition so they have more choices. i could see if people asked sincere constructive questions like Fred M just did, but to constantly question whether the unit really does exist or to take potshots at a new design that hasn't been seen or used by them doesn't make sense.

Lets be practical, Microsoft has hundreds of engineers working for years on their new Window designs, and none of them made deadline. Most of them are still works in progress also. So, here we have one guy trying his best to bring out a new design that could really help and people want to try to find fault with it. I don't understand.

Now, to make things as clear as I can, the Pulse Devil does exist. It will be seen at Rich Hill. It will get a good workout by me, and, like Doug from prospectinginoz, I will give my unbiased opinion of it, warts and all. Those that know me personally, know I am not afraid of saying what I believe to be true.

If Dave makes the March 10 deadline or just the PD is sent to me while I am down there, those present will be given the opportunity to see the unit. Also, if the unit makes it, I will have one in the area for a few days so others will get the opportunity to see it and some will get a chance to use it briefly.

If, by chance, Dave can't make the March 10 deadline, there are other backup plans being developed where Dave and the PD will be in the Rich Hill area in the next few weeks. Since he is unfamiliar with the area, I have decided to pick up the tab for him to join the 24K club so he has a specific place to try the unit. That is how much confidence I have in the existence of the detector. Also, we are working out some of the other details just in case.

I will try my best to make the second scheduled date also if it comes down to that.

Reg

Bob,

In technical terms, basically, he did not make much more than cosmetic changes, in my opinion. The fundamental principles pertaining to how it works, and the depth capabilities didn't change. The discrimination abilities are the same also.

Why all the concern? Jeez, it is like many people are hoping it doesn't exist or never makes it to market? I would think people would want the competition so they have more choices. i could see if people asked sincere constructive questions like Fred M just did, but to constantly question whether the unit really does exist or to take potshots at a new design that hasn't been seen or used by them doesn't make sense.

Lets be practical, Microsoft has hundreds of engineers working for years on their new Window designs, and none of them made deadline. Most of them are still works in progress also. So, here we have one guy trying his best to bring out a new design that could really help and people want to try to find fault with it. I don't understand.

Now, to make things as clear as I can, the Pulse Devil does exist. It will be seen at Rich Hill. It will get a good workout by me, and, like Doug from prospectinginoz, I will give my unbiased opinion of it, warts and all. Those that know me personally, know I am not afraid of saying what I believe to be true.

If Dave makes the March 10 deadline or just the PD is sent to me while I am down there, those present will be given the opportunity to see the unit. Also, if the unit makes it, I will have one in the area for a few days so others will get the opportunity to see it and some will get a chance to use it briefly.

If, by chance, Dave can't make the March 10 deadline, there are other backup plans being developed where Dave and the PD will be in the Rich Hill area in the next few weeks. Since he is unfamiliar with the area, I have decided to pick up the tab for him to join the 24K club so he has a specific place to try the unit. That is how much confidence I have in the existence of the detector. Also, we are working out some of the other details just in case.

I will try my best to make the second scheduled date also if it comes down to that.

Reg

Reg I have pictures of it. I would post these pictures but I think that would not be fair to Dave because the pictures show it not fully assembled. I know it physically exists. I just hope the new version works as good in the field as it did in previous field tests. If it does I will probably add one to my arsenal. Reg this is the last coment I want to make on it until after the new field tests. ok Take care. AzNuggetBob

Reg, Doug. This is great. All the squabling has brought out a lot more info on the PD than I was able to find anywhere else. A lot of my questions have been answered and as a result I will have a much more positive outlook on the subject. Thanks for putting up with my seemingly negative comments . Non of the discussion got hostile and a lot of people are better informed. I have to wholeheartedly agree that new concepts need to be brought into the detecting market. It keeps all manufacturers on their toes , knowing that at any moment they could lose their market share if they aren't looking far into the future. It's what drives the whole electronics industry. It's what made Bill Gates one of the richest men in the world. All the talk of the PD no doubt has the ML engineers scrambling to make a perfect discriminator. Bring it on Dave!!-----Bob