'51 Franklin Half Found Saturday

My beeping buddy and I have been doing pretty good for the last few months. Finds have been way up, including several silver dimes found by him, an 1860ish 10 centavo silver coin and a silver quarter by me, and quite a few wheaties by both of us, but the best so far was last Saturday.

He found out about an old place that had been a miniature golf course/trampoline place (it's now an empty lot) so we headed over there. I dug about 3 targets (using my little Ace 250), but they were junk. Then, I was swinging and got a really strange signal.....bouncing between 25 cent and 50 cent piece on the id. I thought "Drat, another canslaw target." and started to walk away. Then I thought "What the heck, I haven't found anything yet today, so I may as well dig it." I pinpointed, stuck my digger in and got about half of what looked like an old washer popped up out of the ground. I reached down, picked it up and thought "Yep, another piece of junk." Then I rubbed it a little and lo and behold, that "washer" started having something on the surface. A little more careful rubbing and out pops old Ben Franklin's portrait! I managed to get the date cleaned off enough to read and almost dropped my drawers!! I let out a yell and called to my buddy to come over here! I showed him and he almost dropped HIS drawers! A 1951 Frankllin half dollar!! WOOHOOOOOO!!

Needless to say, I just kinda floated around the rest of the day while we were detecting. :lol:

So, that makes a silver dime, silver quarter, the 10 centavo piece and the silver half dollar that I've racked up in the last year. It's not that I'm detecting anywhere that ain't been detected before. I think my buddy and I are doing bunches better because we've been getting out and detecting......practice makes perfect and all that.

Anywho, I think I'm well on my way to finding a silver dollar and the holy grail....a gold coin. :D

Thanks for reading my little tale.

Kajun

P.S.

I head out tomorrow to Hillsboro, NM for 3 or 4 days to do some beeping and drywashing for gooooollllllddddd!! Wish me luck.

A Franklin 50 cent coin is a neat find... I confess I have yet to find one.

Like you and your buddy I search for older areas and fight the trash in the

hope to find an older coin. Unfortunately, urban growth has expanded into

many older sites. Asphalt and concrete likely will forever conceal many

old coins... However, there are still flagstone curbs in some older sections

and I'm concentrating on them...