Anyone have a picture of the Pulse Devil?

• Admin

Hello All,

I've seen a lot of talk about the Pulse Devil manufactured by Dave, but haven't seen a picture as of yet. I don't care much for the format on the "ProspectingOZ" forum, so was wondering if someone could post the picture and information here for us?

Thanks,

Rob Allison

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi buggy,

Speaking of frightened, I'm still wondering what detector you use and what detector that is currently on the market you would recommend people use to prospect for gold. It is the fifth time I've asked. Why the evasion?

Flak, they cycle pictures on the ProspectinginOz main page periodically so just watch the main page. Might not last now that I've mentioned this.

Steve Herschbach

P.S. Late breaking news from Marshall (Doug):

"The copyright on all the Nemesis pictures is hereby released. Any forum is now free to publish them on their own forum. If you require them without the copyright notice please contact me privately and I will send you the zip file. There will be more to come but my forum will always have a 72 hour copyright and will always be the first forum to release any updates or news. This is also the ONLY forum where Dave will answer your questions as myself and the Vic test team have had a long involvement with Dave and the development of the Nemesis. To post on this forum you must be a forum member".

Cheers, douginpoz

It is an interesting message that we are being sent here in the United States.

Steve Herschbach

Hi buggy,

Speaking of frightened, I'm still wondering what detector you use and what detector that is currently on the market you would recommend people use to prospect for gold. It is the fifth time I've asked. Why the evasion?

Flak, they cycle pictures on the ProspectinginOz main page periodically so just watch the main page. Might not last now that I've mentioned this.

Steve Herschbach

"The copyright on all the Nemesis pictures is hereby released. Any forum is now free to publish them on their own forum. If you require them without the copyright notice please contact me privately and I will send you the zip file. There will be more to come but my forum will always have a 72 hour copyright and will always be the first forum to release any updates or news. This is also the ONLY forum where Dave will answer your questions as myself and the Vic test team have had a long involvement with Dave and the development of the Nemesis. To post on this forum you must be a forum member".

Cheers, douginpoz

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

The guys on that forum reckon everyone else avoids answering the hard questions, but it looks like some avoid the EASY ones. I also wonder what detector Buggy uses, or IF he uses one at all?

On another note, it is about a week to the release of the new GPX45oo. Bring it on!!! I can hardly wait. Cheers.

What a bunch of crap Doug/Dave. Where's the field test reports on the Nemesis ???? and I don't want to hear more crap about having to be an prospectingOZ member, or your 72 hour copyright bullshit either. Their" a lot of people out there getting tired of the dribble coming from your finger tips. and the editing on ProspectingOz that is real convenient. Geez, and talk about drip feeding this is the finest example of it I've ever seen. What a joke. :lol: AzNuggetBob

Hi AzNuggetBob,

I suspect the copyright idea was Doug's, not Dave's. But this focus on Australia does tend to make it seem like we in the good old US are unimportant. I've always thought Dave's best market was the US with a fully discriminating PI unit but the only people that get attention are the Oz guys. Frankly, we have good PI prospecting units. I want a PI that will do that and everything else besides!

If Dave wants it warts and all then dump the info on the so-called "unfriendly" Minelab dealer forums instead of an inherently friendly forum. If the Nemesis has the goods, it can stand the heat.

Thanks for the photos Reg. And here is wishing Dave true success with his venture. If he wants to make a unit better than a Minelab for less he has my support. But the time has come for proof.

Steve Herschbach

I agree with you Steve. I'm all for a new machine, any new machine, especially a Pi with great discriminating capabilities. But my patience is wearing thin on the Nemesis. I think Whites has got it figured out. If the Pulse devil/ Nemesis can even come close to what they say it can do and at the price they intend to sell it for, I think it will take the market by storm. But I'm just getting a little tired of the drip feeding on it. ;) AzNuggetBob

Hi everyone,

I released the Pulse Devil "Nemesis" pictures early due to advice from many people who were worried about those who might be wondering if the detector was real or not.

I was going to wait until I could add a write up and at least the field testing results from Europe. I decided to release the pictures first although I suspected that there would likely be an outcry about the lack of the supporting material.

I guessed that I would still get some negative responses if I waited to release the full write ups and reports I have of course been proven right as one can tell from this forum

Let me first expalin the Australian connection to the Pulse Devil "Nemesis":

Although the US market is of prime importance, there were other some other major considerations.

Australia has ground that most people here in the USA cannot even imagine. I was lucky enough to get some of the Prospecting in Oz guys to do some initial testing for me. They took two different search coils and the transmit and receive circuitry out into the Australian bush and performed tests for me.

The places they went to had the very worst ground known to them in Victoria. This same ground has yielded thousands of ounces of nuggets and it still produces a lot of gold to this day.

The signals from the ground were measured on an oscillosope powered by a gas powered generator. The team sent me pictures of the oscilloscope display of the ground signals by email. I would stay up until 4:00am to wait for the pictures to come in on test days.

Without the help of the team in Victoria I can assure you that my detector would have failed in the worst ground to be found in Australia. I really owe the guys in Oz for their help which was so freely given.

The test team are still involved in testing my design as well as comparison testing with other detectors. Some of the people involved have found many hundreds of ounces of gold in the past.

The ground we have measured in the USA at its very worst causes a signal which (worse case) is about forty times less that the ground signals from Beggary Hill, Victoria, Australia.

Sure I could release a detector that will work great in the USA. Sorry, I won't do that. I will release my detector ONLY after I can assure my potential customers that my design will work ANYWHERE on this planet.

As to the testing, the initial development tests have already been made across the USA. The next tests will be made by the three US dealers. As Steve H is on this list he will soon be able to tell you if he likes the Nemesis or not. He and the other US dealers as well as Reg Sniff will be receiving a Nemesis to test. I think that everyone reading this forum will trust Steve and Reg's opinion.

We will soon know if my detector will fly or if I have to go back to the drawing board!!! I sincerely believe that it will fly just fine but I like you will simply have to wait for all the test results.

Sure the deecor has been a long time coming. I too have to earn a living as well as paying out for the parts etc for the detector. I have obviously not been able to spend 100% of my time developing it.

Think about this before making attacks such as "where are the results" and "I am sick of waiting". Those remarks show an almost childish lack of understanding.

It has cost me many thousands of dollars to develop my detectors and the technology behind them. I don't think that I deserve to be judged until after I take my first penny from my first customer. This is yet to happen.

I have taken no money yet there are those people who are acting as though I am some kind of criminal for taking too long to release a product. Where is the logic in that?

I have no partners, no investors and I have no bosses. I do however seem to have critics before my detectors have even gone on sale!!! Go figure if you can. Dave. * * *

Hi buggy,

Steve Herschbach

Cheers, douginpoz

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

I used to have an SD2000 and a Garrett Infinium. Neither of them impressed me so they were sold off and I have used the money to fund development of my own PI design which is still a way off.

You can view some of my early, publicly shared work at Geotech forums under Projects\ Universal PI micro.

I occasionly go detecting with friends who have a variety of ML detectors, they detect, I dig.

What really drove me to sell off and make my own was a request from a friend who lost the small ornamental nugget from her necklace somewhere in her backyard. I arrived with the SD2000 and found lots of assorted ferrous junk but no nugget. She was a little disappointed and very bewildered that the machine I was using was called a gold detector.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to putting the Nemesis to the task to see if can earn it's stripes.

regards

bugwhiskers

Hi Dave,

People say things that can be perceived as attacks but are not. I am sure you are stressed out from trying so hard to get your unit completed. But when people say they are tired of waiting that is not an attack. That is a statement of fact.

Surely you might understand you have had a part in feeding this frustration felt by many, including myself. You have made statements numerous times in the past about units being available for testing. I was supposed to have a unit last spring. Last fall you were to meet with Reg and demo the unit. The reasons why those things did not happen is not important and we do not need to hear the reasons again. The point is expectations were set by you, and then those expectations were not met.

So I'd be a liar if I told you at this point I have more skepticism than I had a year ago. You say "We will soon know if my detector will fly or if I have to go back to the drawing board!!! I sincerely believe that it will fly just fine but I like you will simply have to wait for all the test results". That sounds to me like we are basically testing a prototype, and if anything does not come up 100% to your satisfaction then we will just go on waiting.

You are obviously a perfectionist, and I can respect that. But that can get in your way at some point. People are not perfect. We all have flaws. The things we make are also not perfect. They all have flaws. We can all use improvement, and so can any item that comes off a factory production line.

At some point you just have to say "good enough" and let it go. And then you keep working on the unit and improve the unit over time. Some call this drip-feeding technology. I call it progress, and it has been going on for all of human history. Sure, Minelab could have not released the SD2000 and just worked on it for 10 more years and released a GP3500 instead. But how would that have benefited anyone? I'm sure all the people that found gold with the SD2000 at the time considered it the best unit they'd ever laid hands on. It is easy to snipe, but as you now know getting a unit to market is a huge undertaking. I'm glad people like Howard (bugwhiskers) have the ability to make their own detectors but that is beyond the capabilities of most people. And spending years making a better unit gets you less gold than just using the best that is available.

If you wait until the Nemesis is perfect then we will never see it to market, plain and simple. There will always be something people will complain about. As they say, you can't please all the people all the time. I truly worry that you have set the bar so high for yourself that it simply is never going to happen. You'll just keep fiddling and tweaking and improving.

Please prove me wrong. Please be willing to say "good enough" and get this thing in our hands. And then please drip feed me improvements. I've seen lots of different types of product go to market. There is nothing you and a few testers can do to anticipate the ultimate testing ground - the general public. You have to get it out there, let people use it, gather their feedback, and work on improved models. That is the way the real world works. 1000 users will find things you never will discover on your own. People care about things that you simply do not care about and did not consider. I deal with it every year in products as diverse as snowmobiles, outboard motors, generators, ATVs, heaters, you name it. I sell thousands of different products. You'd think a gold pan was a simple thing, but every year it seems we get an "improved" gold pan. Some really are, some are not.

Thank you for choosing me as a tester of your unit. I am anxious to get my hands on a Nemesis. But you have to know something about what I look for in a product. An edge. That's it. All you need to make me happy is give me an edge I can't get with some other detector. I'm not expecting the holy grail of detectors. I'm sorry, but I've been around the block too many times. I just need your unit to go a tad deeper than anything else. OR hit a tad tinier gold. OR discriminate gold from iron or steel just a bit better than anything else. Whenever I use a new unit I just try to ferret out what if anything it can do better than other units. And if it does even one thing better than I want one.

I also expect any unit to have things it does not do well. From what I've seen excelling at one thing costs you somewhere else. If you've overcome this somewhat inherent limitation imposed on most products that is great. Surprise me. But I'm not expecting it. If your unit had a "hole" on less than one ounce nuggets but detected 10 oz plus nuggets 50% deeper in bad ground I'd be more than happy to accept that "flaw" if it was required to make the extra performance on larger gold happen. Such are the trade-offs sometimes required to make a machine excel at some certain task.

I really do not care about anything the Nemesis might do except for one little thing. I want it to hit gold deeper than a VLF machine, and discriminate iron or steel better than any other PI on the market. If it does that, I want one. Everyone else can quibble over whatever else the unit does and I won't much care. I'll just grab one and head for the numerous iron riddled sites I know of and go dig gold. I have units that hit gold as small as I want. I would like some thing that hits big nuggets deeper but I have to say that right now we have some pretty amazing units for depth. What we are really lacking is some ability in a PI unit to get rid of the junk. That is the reason that to this day a White's MXT will run circles around the best PI units at Ganes Creek, Alaska. Give me a PI that will allow me to dig nuggets deeper than an MXT and which can reject iron as well and I'll go there this summer and make a ton of money.

That's it Dave. Give me that unit. I do not care what it looks like, I do not care what it weighs. I don't care about tiny gold. I don't care what it costs. I need a PI unit with better disc and truly that is the only thing you've offered that I care about. If it does that, just get me one ASAP. It looks great in the photos but I'd rather see one in my hands.

Please!

Steve Herschbach

Hi Bugwhiskers, I'll never forget my first experience with a Minelab 2000 I just arrived at one of my favorite old patches only to find frugal floyd there (Floyd Allen) with his new metal detector. We chatted for a minute about this new machine and he was thrilled how well it was working in the old beat patch. And then he reached in his pocket and pulled out a nugget bottle with about an ounce of nuggets in it that he had just dug. I was impressed. I had been beating this patch along with several other people for years with a popular VLF. I asked Floyd if this was a prototype machine and he said nope I've got another one in the truck if your interested. How could I say no. I hunted that patch for the next two days with my new PI and took out a little over four ounces. It did not seem to be very good on the little stuff, the nuggets I found ranged from about a gram to about a half ounce but then again I had just learned how to use it and I had several other old patches to go clean out anyway. That detector was worth every penney Id payed for it. Im not talking about theories or possibilities, Im talking about results. Have a great day, I'm goin huntin. AzNuggetBob

Hi bugwhiskers,

I think my previous post let's you know where I'm coming from. In my gold hunting locations south of Anchorage we have low mineralization and small gold. When I got my hands on an SD2000 I thought it was worthless. My VLF units of the day easily hit the gold as deep and hit lots of smaller gold the SD2000 would not hit. In fact, we rarely find gold south of here large enough to set an SD2000 off. I still remember well some Minelab groupies who came up and went down to my favorite spot near here, Crow Creek Mine. They left bitching about how "there is no gold in that stupid creek". "If you can't find it with a Minelab, it does not exist" seems to be the thought pattern. I can understand why you and others find that attitude annoying. I know Rob and a few other guys here learned to respect what a White's MXT can do at Ganes Creek, Alaska versus the best Minelab units.

So no, I do not think a Minelab is the best gold detector made per se. It depends where I am as to what works best. I know places where I'd rather have an MXT, and others where I'd rather have a White's GMT. And I'd be more than willing to meet the best Minelab operator at those locations and give them a good thrashing.

But I also think that in the majority of gold locations around the world Minelab does indeed currently offer the best units made for the issues faced. Gold hid amidst the toughest mineralized conditions. Arizona, Nevada, and of course Australia. In the vast majority of the locations out there you either have a Minelab or you miss lots of gold. Minelab currently offers the SD2100v2, SD2200v2, and soon the GPX-4500. Now, when you talk about depth on large gold nuggets I'm unconvinced that there is anything else made by any other company that I can buy that can hit a large nugget deeper than a Minelab SD2100v2. I still have the SD2200v2 and I like it a lot. The GPX units are great but there is something that seems to get lost when you go from analog to digital. I can't really put my finger on it, but analog audio seems more alive and digital audio overly processed. I can tell with a digital unit that I'm working with a translator.

My point being that so far nobody else is making anything clearly better than a Minelab SD2200v2. If people do not want to pony up the bucks for a GPX then they can get an SD and still have something that will do the job quite well. I'm certain that for the majority of targets that count that I get over an SD will find as well as a GPX. But I am also certain there is gold I can find with a GPX my SD will not find. But basically you could regard it as leftovers. That said, if an area has been "cleaned out" with SD units, please let me be the first there with a GPX!

I know you guys do not like Minelabs marketing practices. Fine, we got that. But most of us do not care about anything other than the question I asked you. "What do you use, how is it working for you, what do you think would work best for me, and why"? Griping about Minelab does nothing to answer that question. For most of us, the answer at this time to that question is Minelab. When you complain about Minelab you put yourself out there as annoying background noise to the real subject at hand. Just tell me what I should get that is better and why. Let us as adults decide about how we want to spend our money.

One thing I always know as a detectorist. I am missing items. So when I get told that a detector misses things and that it is a "flaw" you might as well point out that the sky is blue. Yeah, there is certain smaller or wire-like gold a Minelab misses. Maybe there is a "hole" in smooth mode. Oh dear, my detector does not find 100% of all targets. Well, which one does? The point is to have whatever unit will deliver the most gold on the first pass. Even if I had the perfect machine I'd miss targets just by being sloppy. No operator is so machine like as to run the coil over the ground in such a fashion as to maximum depth over 100% of the ground.

When people point out a unit does not get 100% of the gold the only thing we really want to hear then is what alternative unit does a better job overall. Sure, my GMT will hit tiny gold my GPX would miss, but does that mean I should ditch my GPX and use the GMT exclusively? Of course not.

The ultimate question is, if I had to own one and only one gold detector, which one would I own? And my honest answer to that question of machines I can currently purchase new is the Minelab GPX-4000. It boils down to getting gold and in my estimation that unit can get me more gold under more circumstances than any other detector I can buy. Yes, there is gold it will miss, and some places a VLF unit might be better, but any other single detector will miss more if used long enough in enough locations. At least, that is my opinion and I'd bet on it with my money. And right now I'm betting my hard-earned money on the GPX-4500 since I've already sold my GPX-4000.

And it appears bugwhiskers, that you simply have no better answer. I'm expecting the White's unit to be one of my favorite detectors but I'm not expecting it to cause GPX owners to abandon their machines in droves. I'm rooting for Dave also but I'm amazed how you question every tiny tidbit said about a Minelab but accept anything said by Dave as gospel without a shred of proof. It really does make you appear to be very biased. No disrespect for Dave intended, but when somebody says they have a unit that will detect as deep as a Minelab and sort out iron and steel as good as or even better than a VLF unit then they've got to prove it to me. I don't so much mind you guys being critics but the fact that you seem to be critical of only one product - Minelab. Everyone else gets a free pass.

Steve Herschbach

Hi,

Sheesh, I sure am a motor-mouth, or typer - whatever. Shows what to much coffee on a Sunday morning can do to a guy!

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

I live in what is called the Golden Triangle of Victoria Australia. Records say that over 20 millions ounces of Gold have been pulled out of the ground here, and you can bet there was a lot more that was never recorded.

In the early days with VLF's there was hardly a weekend when a largish nugget wasn't found. When the SD2000 arrived the number of finds accelerated. Obviously this couldn't go on forever so things slowed. ML started making their new platforms with enhanced ability to find smaller gold and the trend continues. This move also opened up markets such as the USA where the gold is typically smaller.

I am working on a detector to find and discriminate the larger and deeper targets in atrocious ground that are out of reach of any current platform. This task specific detector is for the use of a small group and not for general sale.

It is not ML bashing but pure fact that the 13 year old MPS ground balance system still in use in current models has holes for certain targets at certain depths. If you desire I can email you a scan(for copyright reasons) of Bruce Candy admitting as much in a published Magazine article on the SD2000 in 1995.

regards

bugwhiskers

Hi,

Sheesh, I sure am a motor-mouth, or typer - whatever. Shows what to much coffee on a Sunday morning can do to a guy!

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

The following link is a must read for all GPX4000 owners, the topic is "SETA - the truth revealed".

On entering it appears that important posts 2 to 23 are missing, judicious use of the "previous" button at the bottom of the page will reveal those posts.

http://groups.msn.com/GoldDetecting/genera...666350029673401

This topic may "disappear" any time.

regards

bugwhiskers

Steve,

I have to admit that your response was both truthful and very fair.

I am the first to admit that my detector is very late getting to you.

there are many reasons for it being late. One obvious one is that I have not been able to afford to work full time on the project. One has to eat!

Before I go any further, I want to make it perfectly clear that I am neither in any kind of competition with or have anything against Minelab. Indeed, I recently posted my opinion that Bruce Candy is a genius. He is indeed one smart cookie!!!

Minelab detectors are without any doubt the best available at this time for prospecting. VLF detectors will find smaller gold than the Minelab PI's but they will neither handle severely mineralized ground or have the same depth on nuggets over a gram.

I too own an MXT. It is a great little detector. David Johnson designed it a long time back and it is still a top seller. I also own a Fisher GBII. I have previously owned several Minelab detectors and found them great to use.

One exception to this was an old SD2100.

I am sure it is a great detector out in the countryside but I had to drive about 45 miles from the city until it became quiet enough to use.

The 2100 picked up any and all electromagnetic interference.

I also did not like the way it overloaded so easily and the tone sounded like a sick puppy dog to me. (Just my opinion).

OK, I am sure that my detector is also not 100% perfect. I do however believe that it does have a few of those edges that you are looking for. I have cast the design in stone now so it WILL be shipping soon.

One pleasant suprise is that I am very happy with it. I have no problems releasing it as a coin hunter or a US prospecting detector. I will however wait for the results from Australia before breaking open the champagne and declare it a detector than can be used world wide.

The Nemesis is designed to be a light weight, simple to use, easy to transport or backpack coin and nugget hunter. There are no holes in the detectors response to certain size nuggets. Being a PI the sensitivity to really small gold is definitely not as high as a high frequency VLF. the Nemesis can detect nuggets down to a couple of grains. A VLF like a GBII will of course detect much smaller gold.

The emphasis of the Pulse Devil design was on the iron discrimination circuitry. You yourself unknowingly set the direction of the design. Let me explain.

A long time ago you posted a message on Eric Fosters PI forum asking the technical people why a detector cannot be made that can reject large iron?

I guess that you must have lost a lot of time that day digging some up some large, deep iron somewhere?

I got to thinking about the question and I figured out a way to do it. I bet that you never figured that you were instrumental in influencing the design of the Pulse Devil's electronics?

By the way, all my detectors are Pulse Devil's. Pulse Devil is a generic term. The microcomputer version is the Pulse Devil "PD1000". The detector in the pictures is the Pulse Devil "NEMESIS".

I had to smile when you asked bugwhiskers why he did not believe things said about Minelab but you take Dave's stuff as Gospel.

There is a good reason for this. bugwhiskers is the senior technical engineer on the Victoria test team. He has built coils to my specifications as well as the transmit section and the coil amplifier - receive section and has conducted tests at Beggary Hill and Kingower as well as in other places. bugwhiskers knows only too well what a Nemesis can and cannot do.

The guys from Prospecting in Oz have been a fantastic asset to me. Sure, the forum gets a bit bloody every now and again but most Americans don't understand the Australians. They love to fight. It is also extremely common for them to pull down large name brands. They are however the best bunch of people that you will find anywhere on the planet.

OK, I will soon be releasing an explanation of the Nemesis. I will post it on Prospecting in Oz first. After 72 hours it will be available to all.

I am really looking forward to taking some time off to do some detecting. I am currently suffering from a bad ear infection so I cannot fly until I get fixed up. I also have a sinus infection to go along with it that is resistant to antibiotics. With luck I will get back on schedule soon.

I will be making a trip to England, France and Bulgaria. After that I will be going all around Australia.

To end this message, I would like to let you all know a most important lesson that I have learned. NEVER announce that you are working on any product or products. Wait until you are ready to release them. I will be strictly adhering to this in the future. This said, I am about to file another patent.

Dave. * * *

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the long reply. Sorry to hear about the health issues and hope you are 100% soon.

The big iron issue came about because of Ganes Creek. Minelab units have you digging 6 foot holes going after 55 gallon drums. The MXT sorts out iron better, but there are things that large nuts or washers or steel punch plates that also have you digging 3 foot holes in loose cobbles. It is a time waster and a back killer. I understand why PI units have the problem as they are well known to at this time be unable to discriminate well. But it is even more frustrating with VLF units when they do so well with most iron and steel items.

So ANYTHING you can do to get better iron discrimination is the most important thing you have to offer me. If I had a 100% effective iron disc system on a PI detector I could make my living running a detector.

That said, it is very frustrating to me that the PD1000 got shelved to go off on a tangent with the Nemesis. With all due respect to the prospectors out there the crying need in the overall detector market is not another prospecting machine. People outside the prospecting community are crying out for the PD1000 , and it verges on being not very nice to dangle it in front of us and then jerk it away. You are in effect telling me you have my dream machine but you won't give it to me! The market in the United States for such a detector dwarfs anything else out there. No offense meant but I really don't care what they want in Australia!! Drop in on Carl's forum and ask what they want over there. General use detectorists want the PD1000 but I guess we will settle for the Nemesis if it knocks out the iron. That alone would make for a good coin, beach, and relic machine. If the disc is variable above iron that is even better yet. But I'm sure wanting to see that digital readout.

Sorry, just whining.

Now you know why White's and others are usually so secretive. I have to say as an end user I'd just as soon not know about stuff until I can get it. It is frustrating for all involved when units get leaked early.

bugwhiskers, I have the article you are talking about. You don't get it. I know there is gold the Minelab won't detect. What alternative do I have? What is better? Hopefully the Nemesis. It is nice you can build your own detectors but I don't have that option. I'm not as smart as you. I need to buy one. You are telling me nothing I do not already know when you say a Minelab could be improved. Who cares about holes? Why can't a $5000 detector come with a waterproof coil? How about a speaker? It took forever to come up with a battery that did not need your power cord to charge the battery! I get it!! So offer me something better!!!!

Of course I'm hoping it will be the Nemesis. But Dave has to put one in my hands first. Dave, I don't care if it works in Australia, just send me one!

Just so you know it, I was one of the people responsible for White's coming to market with their machine. I am all for giving Minelab competition. I want more and better detectors from anyone who will offer them, and the more competition the better. I do not expect the White's to be the Minelab killer you seem to be hoping for. But I expect it to be a very good detector for a lot of people outside the prospecting realm. And for some prospectors looking for a unit that won't break their budget and their backs.

Lots of people want that machine that will hit big gold deeper. I do. I'd love a machine that can hit multi-ounce gold deeper and would actually prefer it not hit small items. I'd rather ignore tiny trash. So your contribution to the prospectors of the world is going to be to develop such a unit but keep it to yourself? Wow, thanks for looking out for us like that.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the long reply. Sorry to hear about the health issues and hope you are 100% soon.

The big iron issue came about because of Ganes Creek. Minelab units have you digging 6 foot holes going after 55 gallon drums. The MXT sorts out iron better, but there are things that large nuts or washers or steel punch plates that also have you digging 3 foot holes in loose cobbles. It is a time waster and a back killer. I understand why PI units have the problem as they are well known to at this time be unable to discriminate well. But it is even more frustrating with VLF units when they do so well with most iron and steel items.

So ANYTHING you can do to get better iron discrimination is the most important thing you have to offer me. If I had a 100% effective iron disc system on a PI detector I could make my living running a detector.

That said, it is very frustrating to me that the Pulse Devil got shelved to go off on a tangent with the Nemesis. With all due respect to the prospectors out there the crying need in the overall detector market is not another prospecting machine. People outside the prospecting community are crying out for the Pulse Devil, and it verges on not being very nice to dangle it in front of us and then jerk t away. You are in effect telling me you have my dream machine but you won't give it to me! The market in the United States for such a detector dwarfs anything else out there. No offense meant but I really don't care what they want in Australia!! Drop in on Carl's forum and ask what they want over there. General use detectorists want the Pulse Devil but I guess we will settle for the Nemesis if it knocks out the iron. That alone would make for a good coin, beach, and relic machine.

Now you know why White's and others are usually so secretive. I have to say as an end user I'd just as soon not know about stuff until I can get it. It is frustrating for all involved when units get leaked early.

bugwhiskers, I have the article you are talking about. You don't get it. I know there is gold the Minelab won't get. What alternative do I have? What is better? Hopefully the Nemesis. It is nice you can build your own detectors but I don't have that option. I'm not as smart as you. I need to buy one. You are telling me nothing I do not already know when you say a Minelab could be improved. Who cares about holes? Why can't a $5000 detector come with a waterproof coil? How about a speaker? It took forever to come up with a battery that did not need your power cord to charge the battery! I get it!! So offer me something better!!!!

Just so you know it, I was one of the people responsible for White's coming to market with their machine. I am all for giving Minelab competition. I want more and better detectors from anyone who will offer them, and the more competition the better. I do not expect the White's to be the Minelab killer you seem to be hoping for. But I expect it to be a very good detector for a lot of people outside the prospecting realm. And for some prospectors looking for a unit that won't break their budget and their backs.

Lots of people want that machine that will hit big gold deeper. I do. I'd love a machine that can hit multi-ounce gold deeper and would actually prefer it not hit small items. I'd rater ignore tiny trash. So your contribution to the prospectors of the world is going to be to develop such a unit but keep it to yourself? Wow, thanks for looking out for us like that.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve,

You will have to agree that there is a very limited market for such a machine as the majority of prospectors just want to find gold no matter how small. Most of the guys in the small group are not so young and have dug more than their fair share of "ground noises" and ferrous trash.

I did not post the info as a tease but because you did entreat me five times.

It is refreshing to see you have a balanced view of the prospecting scene. As a citizen in the land of the free you would probably be horrified to know that some of the so called "Prospector" sites in Oz would ban your butt forever and delete ALL your previous posts for such heresy. This is of course after the rabid Minelab Jihadists had finished with their derision of you.

A recent thread at the MSN Gold detecting site was removed because it stated that pictures of the Nemesis could be seen at Prospecting Oz.

regards

bugwhiskers