up date on the Mariposa fire, 16,000 acs.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Grubstake,

I hope you come through all this without loss. Y'all have really had it bad this year. Stay in if you can, although I know you are wanting to be out detecting but protecting your health now will mean more time to detect later. Although I havn't met you I did meet Shep at Stanton back in Feb. Tell him hello for me and I hope he has finally got of the cigarettes, I ain't yet. Slim

Well heres an up date as of 1:40 pm pst. Bear Valley being evaced, Mt. Bullion, fires are raging, French Camp RD. here in Mariposa, triangle Road, Greely hill, Shilling ranch Road, Dog town, and much more, ash still falling right in town, looks like bagby is going to burn, also the Freq, is: 153.9950 for Mariposa County Sheriffs, fire may reack the hospital, put them on notice to evac. Texas hill also burning. I will keep giving up dates as I hear them on the scanner. Grubstake 21 homes have burned so far. Gary

This is a devastating fire event.

There are a great many people living up there who are retired or who do not have much.

This area already has very serious economic difficulties.

To think it did not have to happen is tough to swallow.

These people deserve better than this.

Keep us posted as you can Gary.

Flak

I was in Bagby ALL DAY dredging only sign of fire was smoke over in miner matts neighborhood I hope his house is standing still, the cops had that road and the next one blocked and barracaded.

HAs anyone talked to matt yet? I lost his cell #

Never seen 727's ??? ( some VERY large planes ) being used on fires now that was a trip I have video will post it later this week

Yeh Vini, them planes were coming right over my house, very low, shook the whole house. One was so low, I thought it was crashing. not talked to Matt, I've been calling for two days now. Did talk to his wife a couple of days ago, I told her if she need help getting stuff out to call me. Grubstake

Well heres an up date as of 1:40 pm pst. Bear Valley being evaced, Mt. Bullion, fires are raging, French Camp RD. here in Mariposa, triangle Road, Greely hill, Shilling ranch Road, Dog town, and much more, ash still falling right in town, looks like bagby is going to burn, also the Freq, is: 153.9950 for Mariposa County Sheriffs, fire may reack the hospital, put them on notice to evac. Texas hill also burning. I will keep giving up dates as I hear them on the scanner. Grubstake 21 homes have burned so far. Gary

Shilling ranch Road , looking east at Quartz Mountain around 1600 7-27-08

I'll check with Fred in the morning I should have called him earlier today I am just hoping the fireman made special care to save the homes around there , keeping fingers crossed.

Whelp that stuff sure likes to burn mountains are covered with impenetrable brush ti's a tinder box.

They were saying some guys were target practicing what were they shooting at stick matchs :angry:

Picture is from our view point today at the river, just a lot of smoke white and black no flames , I think yesterday it was a lot worse one of the guys who was there with us left yesterday when the smoke started billowing all over the tops of those mountains I think they saw some flames too thats probably what scared them most and the way the wind was acting said it felt real strange so they booked it outta there.

Bagbyfire2.jpg

Hi to everyone out there.

I hope that you all are still safe and your homes are not threatened. You fellers have a lot more experience detecting than I do. What will the detectors act like when this ends, and it will. I know charcoal will make a detector act up. can you GB all this out? I am sure some of your patches have been burned over. On the brighter side mabe some of the undergrowth won't be so thick now, at least for this year. Y'all take care of yourselves and each other. Slim.

Shilling ranch Road , looking east at Quartz Mountain around 1600 7-27-08

Hi just found this board yesterday...used to live in Merced and Atwater for 33 years...we dredged a lot a Bagby...for a couple of summers back in the 90's...I am the "crazy lady with all those kids" and the one who took "Scout" home from there.

Would "Fred" be old Fred who gives candy to all the kids and built the "STOMP" mill for the kids to play on? Sure hope he is ok. Although all the kids are grown now, "Uncle" Fred is still one of their heros :)

Prayers are with ya'll....hope they get it out soon...Deedy

NO this is a different Fred Deedy

I'm sore today working throwing all that cobble trying to find bedrock up there yesterday, gonna have to get a rock net going next time, many feet of cobble over B rock to move.

Listening to radio air attack coomunications the fire is now going to go past Briceburg bridge there shutting down 140 to and from the park, due to lack of visibilty tankers aren't able to get in, hope they get this thing shut down before it burns everything along the river and into yosemite valley. Good thing is its going to start cooling down for a few days just hope that doesn't bring any winds.