up date on the Mariposa fire, 16,000 acs.

The fire is still raging.

I am listening to the scanner traffic and there are

many air drops and ground deployments being implemented.

Flak

Not good :( praying and hoping for a rainstorm, here :( Glad ya'll are ok

I listened for a couple of hours during the night. Got the impression they were mostly checking up on each other for safety's sake...I admired how calm, cool and collected they were...I would be hysterical :( sitting in the middle of the river :)

Deedy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to talk with Matt an hour ago sounds very relieved he got spared this time thank God.

Hope the winds stay low but it sure must have whipped up last night??

There was a picture in the Chico paper today showing the remains of a house that burned on Whitlock Mine Rd. I know that's near Matts house but not sure how far. Glad he's made it out so far. It could still turn depening on the wind.

We've been through 2 major fires here in the last month that caused evacs in Paradise. First time that's EVER happened here. And we're only half way through the season.

Digger

I know what you mean about the controllers being calm,

but that and clarity are the biggest requirements for that job as you know.

From the sound of the scanner traffic

these guys seem to have a high degree of experience

and are probably among the best of the best.

Flak

wow, one of the things I don't miss about CA...take care ya'll...Deedy

Hi Gary,

Sorry so slow on the uptake. Here is where you can download a pdf

map of the fire. It's cool because than you can enlarge it to see detail.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/index_incidents_telegraph.php

scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Click here to view a map of the fire"

Hope there is some progress being on that mess,

it's hard to find meaningful news. Now it's all about

what could have - but didn't - happen in LA.

The earthquake today was small potatoes compared to

what we all know is possible.

Just sort of a wake-up-have-you-done-your-preparedness shaker.

Flak

Had to say by to a long time friend today, Bill Bomprezzi passed away and was layed to rest today, he was an old miner and woodcutter, born in OCT. of 1912 and related to the Radanavich family. Aka Gorge Radanovich the Congressman. I sure will miss old Bill. but he's not hurting any more. Grubstake

Had to say by to a long time friend today, Bill Bomprezzi passed away and was layed to rest today, he was an old miner and woodcutter, born in OCT. of 1912 and related to the Radanavich family. Aka Gorge Radanovich the Congressman. I sure will miss old Bill. but he's not hurting any more. Grubstake

Sorry for your loss, Gary...but I am glad he is no longer hurting, too...Deedy

Morning Gary,

I'm hearing (over the scanners up there), the fire is going up the Merced River canyon

toward Clearing House on both sides of the river.

That's a nasty place to have to do anything, much less fight a fire.

It seems headed NE away from the highly populated areas

but the downside is, it is headed into the National Forests etc.

Hope you guys are ok.

Flak

Fire Danger is over for us, there still fighting it, but its headed toward the Stanasluas National forest now, letting people go back to there homes, esscorded, in and out, I guess we had some scum bags that did some looting in the fire areas. Too bad they did not get them yet! But I think they will sooner or later. Hopefully sooner. Grubstake

32,000 acs. 40% contained, moving away from Mariposa, In to the Stanaslaus National Forest, Still putting out hot spots, hoping to get evacs. back to there homes tommarrow. Still 4000 homes threatend. But tommarrow is going to be high humitity, which will help. They said 29 homes and 32 out buildings burned. some looting was done atleast to one home. Keep your fingers crossed, that it does not burn all the way to the next big river. Grubstake

32,000 acs. 40% contained, moving away from Mariposa, In to the Stanaslaus National Forest, Still putting out hot spots, hoping to get evacs. back to there homes tommarrow. Still 4000 homes threatend. But tommarrow is going to be high humitity, which will help. They said 29 homes and 32 out buildings burned. some looting was done atleast to one home. Keep your fingers crossed, that it does not burn all the way to the next big river. Grubstake

Stanislaus any wetter I hope? I pray it will get there for the early am mists...since there will be high humidity coming :)

I have been listening to the radios...some of those guys sound like they are getting really tired...the ladies too...throwing a few prayers up for them as well...

Sorry about the "snakes" ... that makes me so mad... the lazy fools could be helping stop the fire if they are brave enough to loot while the area is still at risk...I once asked the fire cheif of the CDF in Mariposa/Midpines? (I forget now:)... what were the requirements for a CDF..He answered, "Breathing!" ...so there ya go, you creeps, join up!

Deedy

4.Over 200 National Guardsmen Deployed To Help Fight Telegraph Fire

KTVU 2 San Francisco - 2 hours, 35 minutes agoMARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. -- More than 200 National Guard Airmen were deployed Wednesday

Would somone please explain to me why the guards were not already firetrained???? Why in Heaven's name are they being trained AS the fire RAGES?

:wacko:

4.Over 200 National Guardsmen Deployed To Help Fight Telegraph Fire

KTVU 2 San Francisco - 2 hours, 35 minutes agoMARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. -- More than 200 National Guard Airmen were deployed Wednesday

Would somone please explain to me why the guards were not already firetrained???? Why in Heaven's name are they being trained AS the fire RAGES?

:wacko:

For some reason the link did not cross...story goes on to say they have been training fire fighting for the past 4 days...that is scary!!! Lord how much of this mess could have been avoided if they were the ready minute men and women they are supposed to be?

What amazes me after looking at some of the picture posted here and on the thread "links" is the size of the trees at the trunk, small, and all clustered very close together between brush. IMHO if the forests were managed better and more logging was allowed it would be much easier to get the fires under control.

It just kinda makes me wonder if this is the "new means of FS mandated management i.e. let it burn". Then throw into the mix all of those 'dead standing trees' killed by the beetles and not removed :spank: .....go figure! :wacko:

It's also a bit strange that in CA, we have a FIRE SEASON :blink: And, how many outside "contractors" now have work because of this???

To those up in Mariposa and the surrounding areas I wish you well and am glad to hear that most got through this nightmare unscathed.

Gary

Thanks Gary, it was close, my son, and his family were evaced, My daughter and her family were evaced, They get to go home today, Did not touch there homes, Hosiptal and my DRS. office were evaced. Back today, thats good I have a 10:00 apionment this morning. I live in the center of town, so if it ever got to me, Mariposa would be history. Matt made it through ok, But a lot of friends lost there homes. It will be tough to rebuild. Some say they won't others say yes they will Mariposa is there home and family. My thanks to the fire fighters from Assutraia and New Zeland, they were a big help and are still on the fire lines. National gaurd goe's out this morning, mainly clean up and hitting hot spotsd. No over but passed us. Grubstake

Thanks Gary, it was close, my son, and his family were evaced, My daughter and her family were evaced, They get to go home today, Did not touch there homes, Hosiptal and my DRS. office were evaced. Back today, thats good I have a 10:00 apionment this morning. I live in the center of town, so if it ever got to me, Mariposa would be history. Matt made it through ok, But a lot of friends lost there homes. It will be tough to rebuild. Some say they won't others say yes they will Mariposa is there home and family. My thanks to the fire fighters from Assutraia and New Zeland, they were a big help and are still on the fire lines. National gaurd goe's out this morning, mainly clean up and hitting hot spotsd. No over but passed us. Grubstake

I am really happy to hear your family was spared, Gary...sorry others were not :( Really mad at the governor...the National Guard should have been trained already and been there from the git go :(

I am greatful the Austrians and New Zealanders came to help but they shouldn't have had to....there are thousands of National Guardsmen in CA and the reserves could have been called up to help as well. Maybe I don't understand the politics but an emergency situation should forego the (blank) politics.

How is Stanislaus National Forest faring?

Really happy you are all ok :)

Deedy

LadyD, Fred you are taking about, lives in San Beradino, You prob. remember me, I'm Gary. Used to work the front gate and the store, had a cowboy hat with a rattle snakes head band on it. Anyway. Bill Brosious is pased on and MID are running the place now. things have changed alot. Grubstake

I got my cable today so I could finally dl your pic, Gary...you got my vote :)

Deedy

Too Bad I'm not really running, I'd trun this country around in a heart beat. Grubstake

If you let me be your general in charge of the war in the middle east...I would get the women and kids out, make a parking lot of Afghanistan and a swimming hole of Iraq:)