Record Rattlesnake find in Globe, Arizona

• Admin

Hello All,

A good friend sent this over to me a few days ago. Just goes to show you better be wearing your Snake Gaitors in case you encounter one of these huge Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes out prospecting.

snake.jpg

Sure seems like a true story, but damn that Rattlesnake is huge! :o

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello All,

A good friend sent this over to me a few days ago. Just goes to show you better be wearing your Snake Gaitors in case you encounter one of these huge Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes out prospecting.

snake.jpg

Sure seems like a true story, but damn that Rattlesnake is huge! :o

Take care,

Rob Allison

C'mon Rob your better then this. that is the EXACT same snake shown for many years in bogus emails etc just BADLY photoshopped into the hands of another man. Also read the details and there is plenty of bogus hints even the Arizona Gazette which was NEVER a paper. There is no such thing as ASUcentral.com either.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/txsnake.asp

Does this snake look familiar?

post-1390-1232146669_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hey Shadow,

I really didn't even read the story, just took a glance at the picture. I know noticed where it says "Arizona Gazzette," which should be Phoenix Gazzette. The picture sure seemed fuzzy, so knew something seemed weird.

If a snake was that big, the Snake Gaitors wouldn't even protect you.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hey all, when I was about 9 years old(1965), my dad took me on my first deer hunt in the coastal Calif. mountains. I was about ten feet behind him, walking down a trail thru 10 foot high manzanita, when he dropped his rifle down to his hip and fired down to the ground. scared the sh!t out of me! When the dust settled I could'nt belive what I saw. A pacific rattler about 6 feet long, as big around as his arm, with 24 rattles on it, and tip broken off the rattles :o:o . I will remember that snake for the rest of my life. So yes, they can get that big. Hendo

Yo All...Years ago, I had a client that owned an island off the coast of Georgia...Little Saint Simon's Island...The island was amazing for many reasons, but one was the huge number of huge rattlers....I believe they are called Eastern Diamondbacks...Anyhow, one day I was out riding a horse around the island exploring old 1700's houses and such...I had a .22 revolver with me and as I was riding along, I looked down in a bush and it appeared to be a truck tire sized snake coiled in the brush...I shot it, got down off the horse and dragged it out and chopped it's head off...It was over 6 ft. 6 inches...Then i got back on the horse and started to ride away, but something told me to go back and check the brush again...Yep...There was another one only about 12 ft. away from the first one...I shot it too...That one measured out to 7 ft. 6 inches...The latter skin was stolen from my cabin up in N. Calif., but heres what's left of the 6+ footer (that the cat didn't eat) hanging in our guest room ... Neither of the two had over 6 buttons because they were broken off...Probably shouldn't have shot them, but that was then and this is now....Cheers, Unc

Just for the record, I sent that to ROB, it was sent to me, by another forum member. In 1966 I was staioned at Fort Rucker Ala. There was one killed thee, that went 10ft+. I saw it. I've also seen them that big down in Zapata TX. So don't ever think they can't get that big. Grubstake

Just for the record, I sent that to ROB, it was sent to me, by another forum member. In 1966 I was staioned at Fort Rucker Ala. There was one killed thee, that went 10ft+. I saw it. I've also seen them that big down in Zapata TX. So don't ever think they can't get that big. Grubstake

The record length for an Eastern Diamondback is 8' and that ones lived in a zoo unmolsted to reach the record length.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetolog...sadamanteus.htm

http://www.knoxville-zoo.org/diamondback.htm

Even at the length of 8' it weighs only 10 pounds.

Morning All: Years ago at night I was driving back to Houston from Laredo and saw one of those huge Texas Rattlers coiled up on the still warm highway. You can bet your bottom dollar I didn't stop the car and get out to fiddlefoot around that monster. Some where along the way I also remember seeing an old picture a Florida rattler being held by a group of about 10 or 12 men... that snake was reported to be +12 in length.

Don

Hey Rob, Grubstake I had forgotten what getin punked means in old school terms. now days its played a joke on, fooled etc. no offense intended.

In rattle snakes size doesn't matter. you see there is a snake commonly known as the Mojave green or sometimes pink. they come in both shades, they are thought to be some sort of evolutionary offshoot of the western diamondback or possibly a cross between a rattler and a coral because of their unique venom type.. they also tend to be smaller than western diamondbacks. I had a run in with one of these little vermin back in the 80's I wont go into that but I will yell you about a friend of mine that was commonly known as snake man in the Wickenburg area at that time. you see he used to walk around town with a huge western diamondback around his neck. (a pet) he had bunches of snakes at home and been playing with them for years. he would get bit every now and then and other than some minor swelling it was no big deal. he had built up an immunity to them. anyway he ended up getting bit by his prized green mohave in the thumb and after a few days in bed was recovering. His thumb swelled ,turned black and in my opinion was basically dead. but it really didnt matter because he was playing with the same snake two months later and when his wife brought him into wickenburg hospital he was pronounced DOA. So you see when it comes to rattle snakes size doesn't really matter. Take care all AzNuggetBob

Rob you've been punked! Grubstake you nauty boy. :spank::D In rattle snakes size doesn't matter. you see there is a snake commonly known as the Mojave green or sometimes pink. they come in both shades, they are thought to be some sort of evolutionary offshoot of the western diamondback or possibly a cross between a rattler and a coral because of their unique venom type.

Mojave's are never pink or red. The tiger and speckled rattler are often miss identified as a mojave, because they are red. Since some people have propagated the myth that there are red mojaves, when a red rattlesnake is spotted it is mistakenly called a red mojave thus perpetuating the myth. As far as a rattlesnake crossing with a coral snake, well that is just plain bullshit. Like I said earlier the bullshit really starts flying in these snake threads. :wacko:

Here is a site you can read up on mojaves:

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/mojave_rattlesnake.htm

Hmmmm who the FXXK is Dutchman? did you notice he didnt argue the toxicity of the venom? has he ever been bitten by one of these snakes? was he a lab rat for the Az. herpetological society? or have his hospital records and blood tests studied by the poison control center in Tucson? (with my permission of course) I had to sign a release. If it wasn't for a friend that was with me when I got bit I wouldn't be here today! when I got bit he hung one fang also in my thumb. I couldn't walk after about five minutes. Hell I couldn't even stand up! I was conscious but could not move. My doctor told me three days later when I regained conciseness that when I came in my blood pressure was 40\0 and loosing consciousness fast,(I still remember the doctor telling the nurses Dont let him go to sleep and nurses slapping me in the face while they were cutting my clothes off saying dont go to sleep.) he called poison control in Tucson for suggestions on the amount of anti venom to give me? they asked what type of snake? he said I was told it was a pink Mojave. the poisen control asked how many doses do you have on hand? the doctor said 10 and they said give them all to him. I had IV's in both arms and legs. At that time they had not yet made an antivenom for the Mojave, of the people that had survived a single bite (a few) no one had ever survived two bites in a short time span. my ticket has already been punched once, Im not going to test that theory. in my opinion Snakeman proved that fact! Im not going to split hairs here, those snakes are some bad boys. dont mess with them. thats how most people get bit. when I talked with some people from the herpetological society they suggested it may be a cross breed because of the type of neurotoxin these snakes had. bullshit? I'll let you decide. AzNuggetBob

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57469802-10391704/mojave-green-snake-bites-6-year-old-california-boy-42-vials-of-antivenom-needed/

AzNuggetBob,

I remember that guy hanging around the LSD area! Some where I even have a picture of him with that snake hanging around his neck, never knew what happen to him,

I am going to look for the pic (print before the days of digital) I lost a lot of my prints in a fire and am slowly scaning what I have left (100s).

Max

Rob you've been punked! Grubstake you nauty boy. :spank::D In rattle snakes size doesn't matter. you see there is a snake commonly known as the Mojave green or sometimes pink. they come in both shades, they are thought to be some sort of evolutionary offshoot of the western diamondback or possibly a cross between a rattler and a coral because of their unique venom type.. they also tend to be smaller than western diamondbacks. I had a run with one of these little vermin back in the 80's I wont go into that but I will yell you about a friend of mine that was commonly known as snake man in the Wickenburg area at that time. you see he used to walk around town with a huge western diamondback around his neck. (a pet) he had bunches of snakes at home and been playing with them for years. he would get bit every now and then and other than some minor swelling it was no big deal. he had built up an immunity to them. anyway he ended up getting bit by his prized green mohave in the thumb and after a few days in bed was recovering. His thumb swelled ,turned black and in my opinion was basically dead. but it really didnt matter because he was playing with the same snake two months later and when his wife brought him into wickenburg hospital he was pronounced DOA. So you see when it comes to rattle snakes size doesn't really matter. Take care all AzNuggetBob