Old Spoon Found at the Patch

A good friend dug this old spoon up the other day at and old gold patch. This spot is murder to detect, full of old sardine cans/keys and boot tacks. I tried to shine this spoon up with Tarn-x to no avail. It's much to light in weight to be silver...did they use to make silverware in Tin, which I believe it is.

LuckyLundy

OldSpoon001.jpg

Grubstake,

Thanks, I could be copper...but it didn't turn green like you'd expect something in the dirt that long would. You know years ago, I detected a old spoon down in Sherlock Canyon. I didn't feel like carrying it so I hide it and never made it back to the spot. If you can pick it up for me and verify it's silver, I'll split the difference with you!

LuckyLundy

A good friend dug this old spoon up the other day at and old gold patch. This spot is murder to detect, full of old sardine cans/keys and boot tacks. I tried to shine this spoon up with Tarn-x to no avail. It's much to light in weight to be silver...did they use to make silverware in Tin, which I believe it is.

LuckyLundy

OldSpoon001.jpg

Many spoons were made of nickle silver and then silver plated, if they have been in a fire, the plate will usually be gone and the nickle silver is sometimes hard to polish. You might also try a magnet on that spoon, was a whole bunch of iron eating utensils made back in the early days, they are also quite hard to polish. Copper will usually clean right up and polish....

Jim

• 10 months later...
Many spoons were made of nickle silver and then silver plated, if they have been in a fire, the plate will usually be gone and the nickle silver is sometimes hard to polish. You might also try a magnet on that spoon, was a whole bunch of iron eating utensils made back in the early days, they are also quite hard to polish. Copper will usually clean right up and polish....

Jim

Take a pin or safety pin, make a small scratch on the back where the handle meets the bowl of the spoon. Break out the handy pocket magnifier & have a look. Should be able to tell.

Hang on to em! Sold a pile of forks & spoons to a lady that makes wind chimes.