Rose Creek, Prescott Valley, Yavapai County, Arizona...

People call it Rose Creek...It parallels Lynx creek for approx a Mile just up stream from Fain Park <little local lake with Stocked trout> Of the two creeks that enter Fain Park, it is the one on the Right <north>.

Many people prospect this creek. There was approx 20 vehicles parked at the bridge today.

Does anyone know the Official rules and regs for this area? It is Supposedly not under claim, has No claim markers, and no 'No Tresspassing' signs. It is an excellent local prospecting area and you can score a solid gram in an 8 hour day panning with friends. Very coarse, chunky gold....not quite 'Pickers' by definition, but you can pull them out with a pinch of your fingers...Many locals pan the creek and trib's and there is Damn good gold in the area <I spoke with a family today who have an 8yo girl who was proudly showing off her 6.8 gram nugget she found PANNING...I haven't even found a 6.8 gram nug....lol....anyways...I am curious if anyone has More info on the area <i plan to research it further with the local BLM/Forest Service but am curious enough to ask here first>

I had 100+ bits in 10-12 full pans...have not weighed it but I have it in a seperate snuffer for later review.

Thanks in advance.

Nathan

• 2 years later...

According to a local prospector I talked to on Sunday, a 4 oz plus nugget was found in that area on Rose Creek! I am not sure just how it was found via panning, or metal detecting ? He stated it was on Rose Creek, not Lynx creek. He also say that Rose Creek does not have the same restrictions on it as Lynx Creek, and the Fain Park panning area... that sluices were legal? Just how true that is I don,t know, but that is why all the excitement in the area.

More Au to you, Robert

I would be real careful up and around Prescott Valley and Lynx Creek this spring. There is already talk of local police teaming up with State Watershed and FS folks to start handing out citations and possibly even confiscating equipment and vehicles. Private property owners are upset over an influx of trespassers (mostly numbnuts from Phoenix) trashing their property, and they are all worried that with the increase in gold prices, more numbnuts are on the way. - A little bird..

I haven't checked in awhile but last time I did (Yavapai Master Title Plats), that creek is partially in Fain Park (about to the first S turn) and the rest is mostly private, belonging to Fain Signature Group and then various individuals and corps and some State. Fain Sig also owns the park but has a deal with the city of PV. People have always prospected both sides of the bridge and it's been this way for years. Most folks just assume it's part of the park in since nobody every puts up a sign or tries to enforce trespassing laws...

Substantial portions of Lynx above the bridge are private as well and the small BLM plot is currently under claim. It's not stopping anybody.

Anyhow, I drove by both creeks on Stoneridge drive just the other day and wow, I've never seen so many cars parked there!

All that said, I personally think it would be brutal and pretty typical if they just started handing out fines and confiscating property on the spur of the moment. If the property owner is concerned, they should just put up signs and let it be known first. That's what I would do, especially given the fact that they've done nothing, ever, as long as it's been there. For myself, you won't find me there. Lots of good gold in better places not mired in ambiguity.

Meanwhile, the panning area in the forest has clean running water and almost nobody there ever.

Hi Ted and all reading this, I have to say I have not been up there lately but have prospected there for many years in the past. The Fain Signature Group/ Fain Ranch people have not hassled weekend prospectors for years. On the other side of it some times when you have a bit of a gold rush going on, there tend to be a lot of newbees that don't respect their land and have been known to trash it. So basically I see Terry's point of view as well. AzNuggetBob

Bob,

I think one of the main differences today vs. in years past is the development of the hilltop where Sam's Club is now. (wouldn't you like to know what happened to all those tons of precambrian gravel they took off the top of that hill?!!??) It's the same property but now it has development. Previously, when gold was say $250 per ounce, there might be no one there ever and now there are 20 cars parked after work on a weekday! I'm sure they'll shut it down if it keeps at this level. What I'd like to see is for them to open up a trail system on that creek similar to what they did on Lynx. It's private but there is a public trail. It's not like they can use it for anything and I don't think the Fains are particularly interested in the gold. I mean, they own the richest (documented) placer strike in the state just down from the dam. Those doodlebug diggin's are probably the reason why Rose is still pretty rich. I'm sure it paled in comparison to what they got out of Lynx back in the day.

Just a few thoughts.

BTW, anybody know why it's also called "Anderson Creek"?

Tedd I know where your referring too, I camped there for years, on top of that big flat ridge on the West side of Lynx just before it turns east to PV. There was a lot of pre Cambrian alluvial all over the top of it.. very smooth gravel for a hill top and a lot of heavies and quartz , Magnetite and ironites. A lot of private homes now. I watched them dynamite that hillside to the west, Indian Res. and Fain land and use it for fill for the Wallmart up the top of canyon. That whole valley on that side was filled for the hwy and two huge strip malls on the other side of the hill. I could go on but I think Im getting off track. :spank: AzNuggetBob

Hey Bob,

I know the one with houses you are talking about. The one I mean is the one with Sam's club right on it. That one fed Rose and the uber rich northern trib above the pipe that came down from the castle which was also built on gold ground. Most of the gravel is now under development or gone. You used to be able to see it right on the road cuts of the 69. I'm of the opinion that Lynx used to head north for a further distance than it does currently and got diverted by the advent of Glassford.

Anyhow...

We should hook up sometime. I checked out that trib you turned me onto across from "that one patch" and have some opinions.

Your correct Ted I was referring to the next ridge down from Sam's club along hwy 69. I think its part of the same alluvial channel. Its half state land and half private or was, I have not been there for awhile. I must say Im not sure its part of an ancient channel or an abandoned extension of Lynx creek. With all the indicators those ridges stink of gold but Im not sure its the (only) source of the gold on Rose Creek.

As far as getting together, sounds good. I've been busy building two big gold mills down near Phoenix but Im almost done and should have some free time soon. I'll pm you my number. lets get together and share some info and swing some patches up there.

AzNuggetBob

• 11 months later...

I just found this old post, thought I would reply. Rose creek runs from the Prescott mall all the way into fain park. The whole of Rose creek has

gold. It mainly comes from the old bull wacker mine, currently the mall is built directly over the bull wacker mine. Some say that Rose creek at

some time had something to do with Lynx, but I highly doubt it since you cannot find any river rock or any signs of an ancient river bed on the hills

between Lynx and Rose creeks.

You guys are right...There's a ton of numnuts thinking they're going to get out and strike it rich! ... Thanks to those stupid Disc. Channel shows ... I'm getting all kinds of contacts from Nor CA, Siskiyou County, wanting tips on where to go ... Most have never shook a pan or shoveled into a sluice ... Silly! :rolleyes: ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

You guys are right...There's a ton of numnuts thinking they're going to get out and strike it rich! ... Thanks to those stupid Disc. Channel shows ... I'm getting all kinds of contacts from Nor CA, Siskiyou County, wanting tips on where to go ... Most have never shook a pan or shoveled into a sluice ... Silly! :rolleyes: ... Cheers, Unc

Hey Uncle Ron, Keep them down AZ way :P like to see one of them big RV's on the Denny Rd. or back roads out of Cecilville :blink:

Take care,

Ed

• 11 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...