What PI detector did you find you biggest nugget with?

Guest goldstudmuffin

One of the biggest source of variation between detectors is the coil damping,most coils tend to be over damped (reduced sensitivity) or in some cases under damped which causes excessive noise due to ringing.

Doug, do you think that there's a weakness in the current selection of available coils? I noticed that NuggetFinder's new "Advantage" coils use a modified shielding on the internal wire to reduce interference and increase signal clarity. If your observations are indeed correct, then perhaps a significant portion of the problem of "inconsistency" lies with the issue of overdampening. This seems to be entirely random. Does anyone know why? The ML coils are constructed and tuned by hand ... same with the other manufacturers if I am not mistaken. Is this the weak point that leads to coil-response inconsistency?

Cheers,

Marco

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russ. It's a little hot down there right now , but I'd love to run out there with you. I searched for that spot several times about ten years back but never could find it (Heard a story) It would be interesting to finally see it . ----Bob

"A here is a big tip for anyone who wants to get an older ML modified that will give a performance improvement,ask the modder if he can critically damp the coils that you use on your detector. One of the biggest source of variation between detectors is the coil damping,most coils tend to be over damped (reduced sensitivity) or in some cases under damped which causes excessive noise due to ringing. This is why some older coils perform poorly on the later model detectors.

It can make a big difference to field performance with improved sensitivity and sharper more defined signal responses."

Ah Doug,

well at least you have stopped rattling on about "Q".

I see you must have been read my post on finders re the TDI from about a year back.

If you are not careful, you will learn something useful. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doug, do you think that there's a weakness in the current selection of available coils? I noticed that NuggetFinder's new "Advantage" coils use a modified shielding on the internal wire to reduce interference and increase signal clarity. If your observations are indeed correct, then perhaps a significant portion of the problem of "inconsistency" lies with the issue of overdampening. This seems to be entirely random. Does anyone know why? The ML coils are constructed and tuned by hand ... same with the other manufacturers if I am not mistaken. Is this the weak point that leads to coil-response inconsistency?

Cheers,

Marco

What that means Marco, is all the later coils have been improved and built in a more consistent manner.

Some of the old coils varied a bit too much at times in the damping, you could have a nice quite coil that was not very sensitive or on the other hand one that was a bit too noisy.

The 4500 when working well, would have to be the most consistent Minelab Pi ever built, because you can adjust most things to compensate for any minor difference in the finished product,

It would have to be a good thing to have a means on the detector to adjust the critically damping of the coil.

Maybe on the 5000!!!

"Do you know why a high Q is desirable in a detector coil?"

Why do you always want to play trivial pursuit???

Did you learn something new today???

Seems like only yesterday, In fact it was only yesterday you propellerheads

were saying that the older detector's run better with a higher Q and the GPX's

were better with a lower Q?

So what changed your mind???

Did you learn that the new Advantage coils have a higher Q. :rolleyes:

PS. I would be happy running either of those coil's IF the damping was correct with my detector.

It would have to be a good thing to have a means on the detector to adjust the critically damping of the coil.

We do this already on the QED!

cheers.

doug

Marshall,

Is that another of the "vapour detectors" that you are soooooo fond of promoting???

I find ALL of my gold with a Minelab, and will continue to do so regardless of your interrogational technical credible questions, and will do so UNTIL a decent, competitive machine comes along.

Please spare us the indignanty of having to reject the rubbish you post so we are able to read the material that actually matters to us. As prospectors, (as opposed to armchair warming, google enhanced, keyboard tapping, post count requiring, robotic cyborgs) we concern ourselves with actual "in field" results. Personally, I don't care what "credible" criteria you put on things. I know when my machine is performing. That comes from spending many, many hours using the thing, and the ones before it, and I will do so for many years yet, I suspect. :spank::spank:

I believe the title of this post was "What PI detector did you find you biggest nugget with?" NOT "How much Petty Bickering can you come up with".

TW,

You are correct and I did just that back on page 2 of this thread.

my post

Perhaps Marshall might like to tell us his biggest nugget story and get us back on track again. Cheers.

Modded detectors do not work? Funny to think that every detector from the SD2000 is a modification of the previous design.

As for detectors failing its not me who has had to recall hundreds of brand new detectors.

As for "Inhere" this guy has had a vendetta against me for a few years, read his posts and somehow he will twist the truth or vary the thread direction to incorporate some defamation about "Woody". Anyone would think he is a large shareholder in Minelab/Codan.

There is not one ounce or gram of truth in any of his defamatory postings. People see through his thin Glass vindictive veneer and it generates lots of work for me. Thankyou "Inhere", I could not wish for better advertising if I had to pay for it.

Modded detectors do not work? Funny to think that every detector from the SD2000 is a modification of the previous design.

As for detectors failing its not me who has had to recall hundreds of brand new detectors.

As for "Inhere" this guy has had a vendetta against me for a few years, read his posts and somehow he will twist the truth or vary the thread direction to incorporate some defamation about "Woody". Anyone would think he is a large shareholder in Minelab/Codan.

There is not one ounce or gram of truth in any of his defamatory postings. People see through his thin Glass vindictive veneer and it generates lots of work for me. Thankyou "Inhere", I could not wish for better advertising if I had to pay for it.

You forgot to tell us what PI detector found you the biggest gold ;)

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I will try to put this thread back on track. I found my biggest gold with the Minelab GP Extreme. I found hundreds of nuggets with each model of the Minelab's starting with the American Gold Striker, XT17000 and all the way through the PI series from the SD2000 to current GPX-4500. I've used them all for at least two years, or until the newer model was released.

Kilo's of gold, thousands of nuggets, proof of all my finds and thousands of hours of hard work, research and money spent! I've walked the walk, done better than some, worse than others.

Would love to hear about your stories, finds and what detector you used (and why?).

Take care,

Rob Allison

You forgot to tell us what PI detector found you the biggest gold ;)

40 oz Nugget at Creswick a few years back, total from 1980 to current day would be 276 Oz but most of that was 1996-1998 when the P.I units came onto the scene, last time I went out i only came home with a 0.9 gram bit..

"As for "Inhere" this guy has had a vendetta against me for a few years, read his posts and somehow he will twist the truth or vary the thread direction to incorporate some defamation about "Woody". Anyone would think he is a large shareholder in Minelab/Codan.

Load of BS woody, below is a couple of quotes, the first one is from woody's mate,Dwt, who try's to make a dollar by flogging woody molested detector's to newbies.

The second quote was from the only experienced guy who has tested a woody modded detector, that has no vested interest in the detector.

Quote 1: "The clock speed mod hasn't been done by Woody for a long time, he regards it as an experiment, nothing more. Cheers, Dwt" (a lie?)

Quote 2: "It was certainly done on the unit i tested & was the downfall of the unit!

It may look good in the lab but out in the field it proved to be useless, so

given it was an " experiment " how is he going to compensate the owner of the unit,

given its now not even close to the ability of an unmodded 3000 in my eyes."

Well the truth is woody has made no effort to compensate the owner or even repair

the stuffed detector, so much for any guarantee.

If I have a vendetta against you woody, It's real easy to stop it, just compensate the owner of that 3000 and have alluvium (aussie john) and his mates test your modded GP,

He's a member of the same forum as you, so he may go easy on you.

But I'll be happy to abide by his test, What about you?

Or are you worried that the emperor will then have no clothes?

"As for "Inhere" this guy has had a vendetta against me for a few years, read his posts and somehow he will twist the truth or vary the thread direction to incorporate some defamation about "Woody". Anyone would think he is a large shareholder in Minelab/Codan.

Load of BS woody, below is a couple of quotes, the first one is from woody's mate,Dwt, who try's to make a dollar by flogging woody molested detector's to newbies.

The second quote was from the only experienced guy who has tested a woody modded detector, that has no vested interest in the detector.

Quote 1: "The clock speed mod hasn't been done by Woody for a long time, he regards it as an experiment, nothing more. Cheers, Dwt" (a lie)

Quote 2: "It was certainly done on the unit i tested & was the downfall of the unit!

It may look good in the lab but out in the field it proved to be useless, so

given it was an " experiment " how is he going to compensate the owner of the unit,

given its now not even close to the ability of an unmodded 3000 in my eyes."

Well the truth is woody has made no effort to compensate the owner or even repair

the stuffed detector, so much for any guarantee.

If I have a vendetta against you woody, It's real easy to stop it, just compensate the owner of that 3000 and have alluvium (aussie john) and his mates test your modded GP,

He's a member of the same forum as you, so he may go easy on you.

But I'll be happy to abide by his test, What about you?

Or are you worried that the emperor will then have no clothes?

Dead%20Horse%20-%203.jpg

Inhere, Who is this person that I have "refused" to make good an experiment? Was it you? There was a time that I offered an all risk and no charge to anyone that wanted to test a faster clocking modification. Remember it was a test and I even paid for the postage and parts , and time all for free. I have never been told by this person to remove the 7.6 Mhz Crystal and put it back to 4 Mhz. You just keep on spreading lies all the time. Anyway your defamation postings are being collected by a Melbourne based law firm, then we will prove who is the biggest lying loser on the forums. Maybe you would like to talk to them before you get the writ? Rotstein Lockwood and Reddy Lvl 5 552 Lonsdale st Melbourne. Contact Dean Lockwood 03 9604 7801. Hope you have a few assets for me to claim against.

Actually Mr Inhere,the detector that you allude to was supplied by Andrew Overton and given to Alluvium (John C) The detector tested was modded by Ismael, it was a modded GP with faster clocking and John did not like it at all. so please get your facts straight again, I think you owe me an apology.....as per usual....but i will not hold my breath!

Again I am publicly defamed by "Inhere" when the said detector was not supplied by me in the first place. What is your agenda Inhere?

Hi all,

firstly, to keep it all 'on track', my biggest nugget was found with an Ismael modded SD2000, position 1, gain at 50% (approx) on Ch1 and using a 24" Coiltek 'Big Red' elliptical DD. It was 4.1oz at a measured 24". Flat, ugly sucker about 4" across but only half inch thick. Strangely enough, my second largest piece was found with ANOTHER Izzy modded 2000...3.6oz @ 14" using only a 10" Coiltek 'Joey' mono.

Well, both Marco and Inhere have been busy lately :blush: I am sure that most US based prospectors will think that us Aussies are a bickering crowd of egotists, going by the recent barrage of posts. But, all ego's aside, they both have posted a number of incorrect items. To Marco's defence, the DD argument has been thrown around for many years. With a number of observations being noted, the DD coil design does appear to punch deeper into multi-layer, highly mineralized ground better than a mono. But, 'Doug' is also correct when he says that there is no 'hard' evidence to conclusively support this. Its like religion....if you believe it, it works!

Now, regarding "That" 3500M....it was supplied by me to 'Alluvium' to test for only 2 days. Its owner was coming up from NSW to collect it and couldn't be in JC's hands longer than that. It was modded by Izzy, NOT Woody. Izzy is the only bloke to have offered that overclock mod on ANY GP as a commercial offering. All the other ones done by Woody have been on an experimental basis. I believe the number is small. The 3500 in question was stated by Izzy to be a slightly poor version. Tolerances were low and he said that mods on better quality 35's would be a lot more obvious. My testing showed that the sensitivity and depth on small gold was very obvious on my test patch. Friends using their 4500's (in enhance) with same coils on the same un-dug small targets couldn't get the same signal quality as the 3500M. JT is in a couple of videos stating just that....and he loves his 4500! I have now used 5 different modded GP's by both Woody and Izzy. The increase in depth on small targets is obvious, even to the beginner operator. The fact that I can go anywhere and ping small gold on totally flogged spots

at ease is proof enough for me.

Now this next statement is a total obvious one: IF ANY CUSTOMER IS NOT HAPPY WITH WOODY'S MODS, SEND IT BACK FOR REPAIR.

Just like any repair, warranty or guarantee, you have a fall back position. If it don't work, send it back....Duuuuuhhh :rolleyes: The fact that this particular customer that Inhere whinges about hasn't done this basic task sounds very odd. So, both Marco and Inhere are WRONG. By all accounts, Marco has Minelab's best interests at heart, perhaps he is on the payroll or a shareholder in Codan? He jumps to ML's defence at any given opportunity. But, I suppose that's OK....he is well known for it and everyone takes that on board when his posts are read.

But when paranoid ideas like a false representation of my videos are presented, it goes too far!

Reversing switches so that the unit is dumbed down when I am supposed to be proving that the modded unit works, is insulting and defamatory. I strongly resent it...it is totally INCORRECT.

Inhere, calling me a liar just proves what a fool you are. Even when the evidence is presented to you, you close your eyes, place hands on ears and yell "LALALALALA" and make a goose of yourself. Stay on Finders where you belong. You are despised on most credible OZ prospecting forums, even Izzy's. How Izzy has managed to keep you onside with him is testimony only to his kind, tolerating manner, not your input. The offending video is here for those interested:

I will be posting a few more video's on You-tube within the week showing more mods on GP's in action. A lot of people have misrepresented me as 'Anti-ML' or a Woody/Izzy stooge. To set the record straight, I have supported Minelab from the day they opened their door in 1986. Me and my Brother were in the first group of people into their showroom the day they opened for business. I have bought 8 brand new ML detectors and another 6 used ones for my own or company use. I have written promotional articles for them also amongst other assistance. I believe that if you can afford it, a 4500 remains the best PI prospecting detector you can buy.

It may have its problems, but its multi adaptable platform makes it far more adjustable and useful in ALL ground types. For the rest of us who cannot afford it, modding an older Minelab is a very good option. It certainly works for me! Cheers, Dwt

Actually Mr Inhere,the detector that you allude to was supplied by Andrew Overton and given to Alluvium (John C) The detector tested was modded by Ismael, it was a modded GP with faster clocking and John did not like it at all. so please get your facts straight again, I think you owe me an apology.....as per usual....but i will not hold my breath!

Again I am publicly defamed by "Inhere" when the said detector was not supplied by me in the first place. What is your agenda Inhere?

You both are aware that I have never made any reference to the to the Ismael modded 3500 that alluvium tested, this test was not made available outside of pozinoz and I have never read it and so know nothing about it.

As you well know, very time I have posted is to get you to repair the 3000 you modded, that was tested by narrawa and on which you installed the "experimental" overclock mod that ruined his detector.

you guys could really mess up a wet dream and you sound like 3 or 4 , old ladies get over it we really don't care what the hell Doug is trying to come out with or if Woody is doing mods good for them that was not what this was started for fools

Lon

You both are aware that I have never made any reference to the to the Ismael modded 3500 that alluvium tested, this test was not made available outside of pozinoz and I have never read it and so know nothing about it.

As you well know, very time I have posted is to get you to repair the 3000 you modded, that was tested by narrawa and on which you installed the "experimental" overclock mod that ruined his detector.

So you are saying that changing a Crystal ruined his detector? Funny how he has never emailed or rang me up to tell me of this, all that would happen by increasing the frequency is that the ground balance would track faster. As the processor being the the Hitachi H8 series can be run at 20 Mhz I fail to see how this ruined his detector?

Please enlighten me, are you Narrawa? Strange that you are acting as you are his mouth piece. Could you tell Narrawa that if he sends the detector back to me that I will replace the 35 cent Crystal with a correct factory spec 4.00 Mhz one.