Minelab Technology Training Center - Grand Opening

• Admin

Hello All,

I just wanted to announce the grand opening of the new Minelab Technology Training Center in Prescott, Arizona. The Grand opening will be Sept. 24th (Friday), from 9am to 6pm. There will be lectures throughout the day from several of the major Arizona partners along with grand opening presentation from Gary Schafer, Vice President of Minelab USA.

There will also be lectures on the new GPX4800 & GPX5000 along with demo units to see in person.

Burgers, Dogs and Water served all day!

Schedule for Saturday the 24th -

10am - Ribbon Cutting - Grand Opening from Gary Schafer

11am - Understanding the X-Terra Gold Metal Detector, by Kevin H.

1pm - Desert Detecting, Tips, Tricks & Questions/Answer - Rob Allison & Bill Southern (over 30 years combined field experience)

2pm - Minelab GPX5000 Timings and Info - Chris Gholson B.A. (owner/operator Arizona Outback)

3pm - Understanding Searchcoils (functions, configurations and more) - Steve Gholson (Team AZO)

This is open for anyone to attend. I highly encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity that Minelab has provided for us. There will be a wealth of knowledge and information shared on this day.

Address -

Minelab Technology Training Center

1191 Old Chisholm Trail

Prescott Valley - Dewey, Arizona 86327

I have also enclosed a PDF file with all the information and map.

Hope to see you all there.

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Way2cool and others,

Yes, Sept. 24th is a Friday. I'm hoping many will still come. This would be one time I would personally play hookie if you could. I think between the free food and information that will be shared, it's well worth the effort to make if you can.

Hope to see you all there.

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Chuck,

This is a new location, but will not be open all the time. It will be open during certain training sessions, outings, seminars and such. I don't think they will be open all the time, but will find out more information and post it here.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

I hate to be negative about this new training center. I know noobies all want good info on a new machine, but I think Minelab would be better served if it was a training session/center for the U.S. service department, they need it more than we do. Also seems like they are favoring AZ residents when it may have been better to have a traveling training center, maybe in conjunction with the many gold shows across the country. A static center like this does many zero good and we all know the price of it is built into each detector we buy. Just my 2 cents (that is worth less than 1 cent these days) Also at the price of a new PI machine, you think they could do better than hot dogs and hamburgers....

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I think this is just the beginning of bigger and better things to happen. I'm sure if this Technology Training Center takes off, we might see more in the future in other locations (just my opinion).

For me this is not a sale session where I'm going to sale product, but more of helping newbies and others to learn about the Minelab brand and what we have to offer (sales, support and experience). I'm hoping all the dealers are on the same page.

Arizona seems to be the mecca of nuggethunting and could be the reason the Tech. Training Center is here.

El Dorado - If you make it down here I will buy you whatever you want for lunch or dinner! :D The food is not to draw in attention, but since the session will last the entire day it just a good jester from Minelab USA.

Just my thoughts.

P.S. Hoping Doc will join us on this grand opening.

Rob Allison

Rob

My thinking on this is Minelab needs to have guys like you to teach this class.The reasoning on this is you and others that nugget hunt know how the settings are affected in the field.To be in a class room with the GPX on a dry test stand telling what each setting will do I'll go for the guy that's been in the field with it first.

Chuck Anders

I hate to be negative about this new training center. I know noobies all want good info on a new machine, but I think Minelab would be better served if it was a training session/center for the U.S. service department, they need it more than we do. Also seems like they are favoring AZ residents when it may have been better to have a traveling training center, maybe in conjunction with the many gold shows across the country. A static center like this does many zero good and we all know the price of it is built into each detector we buy. Just my 2 cents (that is worth less than 1 cent these days) Also at the price of a new PI machine, you think they could do better than hot dogs and hamburgers....

Hi El Dorado,

I know where you are coming from, but what other manufacturer is doing this? At least Minelab is setting up a place to train people. And I agree - send Minelab people! It always amazes me how few people working for ANY companies know anything about metal detecting. Botom line is these people know their stuff, and I hope people make the effort to learn from them. It may not help you, but it will help beginners who want to learn.

Steve Herschbach

El Dorado,

Doen't mean Minelab won't in the future have training sessions in other gold producing areas like Kalifornia & Nevada (& other areas) . . . . Somebody has to be first . . . . . Give them a break.

Maybe they figure anybody who can afford $5000+ metal detectors can afford a short trip to make better use of the new technoligy & bring them upto speed quicker . . . Some people need this type of training to get the most potential out of their machines quicker, without so much trial and error.

wonderer

This was a fun and informative event and it was great to meet some of the folks from this board.

(or,um, Forum. Board is for all you old time BBS folks <_<

Thanks to all who sponsored and participated- esp Rob, Bill, Doc and anyone else who donated prizes.

Everyone present won at least one door prize plus caps, shirts, nugget pouches and more.

My favorite was the Detecting Q & A by Rob & Bill. We newbies need all the help we can get.

Plus I picked up the Rich Hill Footprints from Bunk and am already digging it.

It is a privilege to be associated with so many folks who are more interested in helping fellow hobbyists than making money.

That makes me wanna spend even more.

I'll probably make the October event and look forward to learning and sharing even more with y'all.

THANKS! B)

To Kelly and Wonderer,

What Minelab is putting on is good, even for the seasoned gold hunter. Never can learn too much! In my own thoughts, the best place to learn, is out in the field and listening to the ol' ones. Listening to the ol' ones then trying it (while learning your detector!), if it works for you remember it, if it doesn't try something else- you're learning 'your detector'. Get involved with some of the different clubs (food will be much better!).

What El Dorado is saying to true! Minelab needs to get their Service Dept. straigthened out. Everyone has their season when they can get out; some are longer than others. Bottom line is your detector will not breakdown in the closet or out in the garage. it will- out in the field using it! Then it's a month+ being repaired and hopefully it's done right. You use a battery to it's limit and it dies (normal wear and tear), you buy a new one. You have a problem with it, the authorzed dealer is having problems of their own on warranties and can't replace it, so you have to deal with Minelab on your own. Two trips to them and it's finally replaced- more down time. Meantime, you buy a backup system, which if everything is working as it should, you'll never use and will be obsolete and worthless if and when you will need it.

Kelly, my detectors have paid for themselves (I've been lucky) It's cheaper than Bass fishing ;-) It's not about spending money, it's about being out where you want to be and enjoying your surroundings and trusting your tools.

Shep

• Admin

Hello Notorious Kelly,

Great meeting you today at the Minelab Tech Center. Overall I think it was a great turnout and a great Grand Opening for the first Tech Center in the US. There was some great information shared and learned today. Just about all the people attended today walked away with gifts from Rob's Detector Sales, Nuggetshooter, Doc's Detecting and Minelab. One happy camper, Mel from Congress, walked away with a $500 Minelab gift certificate.

From the comments Bill and I received from our Q & A session, I think it went over very well for the little time we had to talk. There was much more I wanted to share, but was limited on time.

Can't wait for the next time. Thanks a Million Minelab!

Rob Allison

The new Minelab training center in Prescott is the bomb! I don't know what it would cost to get all of that combined experience and knowledge into one seminar, but Thanks to Kevin H. and Minelab; Rob Allison; Bill Southern; Doc and the Gholson's - I'll never have to find out! The day was jam-packed with useful information on prospecting technique; coils; the new Minelab 4800 and 5000, accessories and equipment. All the speakers were great! I have to say that I enjoyed the question and answer period with Rob and Bill the best though! Well, actually I enjoyed the free cheeseburger and hotdog the most, but hey, I'm a fat guy! Just a super day - Thank You Minelab! - Terry

post-29158-128543831836_thumb.jpg

Rob and Terry - Top / Rob and Bill Southern answering questions during the Q & A.

• Admin

Hey Terry,

It was great to get to see you again. The Question and Answer session must have really been good. I sold a couple of GPX5000's today, one customer I met today in Rock Springs (Thanks Kelly!). Many came up to Bill and I after the session and said it was really good. What I can tell you is, we didn't have enough time to really get into it. I wanted to talk about a few things, but the time flew by.

Looking forward to helping your venture get up and running with the Minelab detectors, accessories and support.

Here are some pictures I shot at the Minelab Technology Training Center that day.

View of Minelab Tech. Center

Rob Allison (me) and Gary Schafer, Vice President of Minelab USA

Chris Gholson & Rob Allison

Rob Allison & Terry S., Arizona Gold Adventures

Can't wait until the next session!

Rob Allison

How can you tell with me? I can't get any balder, and I have so many age spots they just sort of all run together and make me look like I have a really weird tan.

Doc

Jeesh Rob, you Bill & Doc look older than the last time I saw ya!!! :P

• 4 weeks later...

How can you tell with me? I can't get any balder, and I have so many age spots they just sort of all run together and make me look like I have a really weird tan.

Doc

Its a solar panel for a sex machine.... so make sure you wear a hat.

The stomach is the batteries! ;-)

Archived