Bluetooth setup for GPX-5000

Guest silentarrow

Guest silentarrow

Hey folks,

Im looking at building a complete bluetooth setup for my GPX 5000 myself. Im tired of the backpack battery and the setups on ebay etc. are too expensive, plus I d rather trust my own workmanship when it comes to my $6000 detector, not someone who wont care or take responsibility if their product damages my machine. Ive found all the parts I need except for a way to amplify the bluetooth transmitter. Any ideas? Ill include links showing all the parts I have rounded up.

different battery choices:

http://www.all-battery.com/74volt-10000mahheavydutyli-polypackwithpcb31171.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390050511620&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290149372263&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

charger for battery:

http://www.all-battery.com/5A-BalanceChargerfor74V-Li-Po01228.aspx

GPX connector plug:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minelab-GPX-4000-4500-5000-battery-connector-plug-/260681063202?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item3cb1cd5b22

bluetooth transmitter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180503480763&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT

bluetooth headset:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160497834313&ssPageName=STRK:MEBOFFX:IT

so, as you can see it would be much cheaper to build this myself, but figuring out the amplification part is difficult. any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest silentarrow

Rob sells a blue tooth transmitter and receiver combine that with a self powered amp like the B&Z and use what ever headphones you like.

As for the batteries I like the Li - poly's.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Chris

Doc's bluetooth setup

Thanx so much for the reply, but like I said, I dont see the need in paying big prices when I can do it myself for less. I found a bluetooth transmitter on ebay for about $20 while "Doc" wants $50 for his.

What is the "B&Z"???

Yes I see you also found a 7800 mAh battery that sells on Ebay for $65, which is the same one we sell for $45.

I wish you luck, it's fun and challenging and very gratifying to built your own set up.

That 10,000 mAh battery does look promising.

Doc

Thanx so much for the reply, but like I said, I dont see the need in paying big prices when I can do it myself for less. I found a bluetooth transmitter on ebay for about $20 while "Doc" wants $50 for his.

What is the "B&Z"???

Yes I see you also found a 7800 mAh battery that sells on Ebay for $65, which is the same one we sell for $45.

And I purchased 3 of those transmitters you are looking at on Ebay as well as 3 of a different brand. 1 out of the three worked of the one you are looking at, and none of the other three worked at all. They came from China and the when I notified the seller that they didn't work, they told me they couldn't imagine what was wrong, so I told them I expected them to be replaced, and of course they never were replaced and I left them negative feedback.

I hope you understand I don't just throw this stuff together, I spend a lot of money and time finding the best items out there that will withstand the rigors of detecting. When I finally do bring something to market it has already been tested and I know it works and I know the workmanship is there and that it not only is the best option, the performance is outstanding.

I wish you luck, it's fun and challenging and very gratifying to built your own set up.

That 10,000 mAh battery does look promising.

Doc

BTW that Bluetooth headset does work excellent, I have one of those, just make sure you get the Motorolla one like you are looking at, as there are plenty of rips offs that do not work well at all.

Doc

SilentArrow,

Beware of using the bluetooth on the minelab detectors, I was going to do the same, but read a report on Woody's minelab mod website that bluetooth has a timing delay, bluetooth has a delay of around 1/3rd of a second and it is a problem when the detector is being used for pin pointing a target. Even the initial locating of a soft signal is a problem after you swing past it, it is sometimes hard to relocate it.

The best option would be an external speaker on the detector for no wires.

Dave

Guest silentarrow

BTW that Bluetooth headset does work excellent, I have one of those, just make sure you get the Motorolla one like you are looking at, as there are plenty of rips offs that do not work well at all.

Doc

Is it true that the bluetooth is a bad idea because of the delay? Have you found gold while using your bluetooth???

We just got them in.

The testing I did on them was minimal and I was more concerned about the quality of the sound and whether the detector would actually interfere with the blue tooth.

The testing was with a GPX4500 and I did not notice a delay. And no I have not found gold with it because personally I don't mind using headphones plugged into the Gold Screamer Power pack, it's easy enough just to take the headphone off if you want to disengage from the detector.

Airhead has been selling a Blue Tooth set up for around 3 years now and I have not heard any bad reports.

It could be the the advanced timings on the GPX5000 could throw a wrench into the Bluetooth setup or perhaps it is different Bluetooths. One of the reasons I elected to use a matched receiver and transmitter that was made by the same company is because I assume most people like their standard headphones, and would just like them to be wireless. And the second thing was I figured a matched transmitter and receiver would talk to each other without any issues of compatibility. I want to test these on the GPX5000.

Doc

Is it true that the bluetooth is a bad idea because of the delay? Have you found gold while using your bluetooth???

Hey Doc,

Woody did a test, you might want to get his knowledge on it. I know ps3 and xbox gamers dont even like using them, because bluetooth has a timing delay. But if you dont mind let me know what your tests came up with.

Thanks,

Dave.

Guest silentarrow

What Doc has is the latest generation of Bluetooth. I've been using the same transmitter and receiver setup for about a year..... works great no noticeable delay on a 4500.

Chris Porter

detectoraid.com

Ah yes, great news, but the "tell" is have you found gold with it????

Hi All

Use this on my 4000 for 2 year now, a guitar transmitter like this http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_gt_ews.htm and a sennheiser rs 100 wireless headset

this is no bluetoothso so no delay's, in combination with the pocket rocket system I am completly wireless.

If you look for guitar transmitters on google, you wil find oter brands to.

Regards from Holland

Gerrit

I am getting increasingly interested in this thread.

If it is possible to have a wireless setup that has no

Bluetooth-like delay, I am up for it.

Is there a set-up like this that exists now, or does it

need to be cobbled together?

NvChris? Can you PM me some details of your system?

Sounds pretty cool...

no rush.

Thanks

Flak

"Ah yes, great news, but the "tell" is have you found gold with it????"

Yes I have found gold with the system, your welcome to come to RP and try it out.

Flak,

What I have is the same thing that Doc is selling, the BluBridge "mini jack" transmitter and receiver made by Miccus. I don't use an amp, just earbuds.

It's the only bluetooth audio I've used, like I stated no noticeable latency. I'm sure there is latency it's just not an issue for me with metal detecting.

Guest silentarrow

Flak,

What I have is the same thing that Doc is selling, the BluBridge "mini jack" transmitter and receiver made by Miccus. I don't use an amp, just earbuds.

It's the only bluetooth audio I've used, like I stated no noticeable latency. I'm sure there is latency it's just not an issue for me with metal detecting.

Thanx very much for your attention and help on this gentlemen. nvchris-Where's "RP"?

Guest silentarrow

Next question: With the battery, is a regulator required to reduce the voltage? It says 7.4V but at full charge, its gotta be over 8+..... What can the 5000 handle voltage-wise? does the stock battery from minelab have a built in regulator?

Yes the 7.2 volt will charge to 8.1 to 8.2 volts, which is what the GPX4000 through the GPX5000 is rated for. When the detector drops to 7.2 volts it will turn off, so NO you do not need to drop the voltage down.

As for the amplifier, your choices are either to go with an "inline" amplifier which runs off of your battery, so of course you are going to have to make sure your amplifier is rated to work with an 8 volt battery, or if you are trying to do this "on the cheap" as a do it yourself project, I would recommend you get an amplifier that amplifies the output of the audio from the machine which would run on it's own batteries. Or you can plug the Blue tooth transmitter you saw on Ebay into the little amplifier, and it should transmit an amplified signal to your Motorola Bluetooth headphones.

The least expensive way I know to do this is to get a little Radio Shack amplified speaker that runs on a 9 volt battery, and use an adapter on the audio output to adapt the output to your headphones. The RS amplifier and the adapter plug should cost no more than $35.

Good luck.

Doc

Hi All

Use this on my 4000 for 2 year now, a guitar transmitter like this http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_gt_ews.htm and a sennheiser rs 100 wireless headset

this is no bluetoothso so no delay's, in combination with the pocket rocket system I am completly wireless.

If you look for guitar transmitters on google, you wil find oter brands to.

Regards from Holland

Gerrit

Hi Gerrit

I looked at this idea a while back but could not figure out how to get the headphones to work with with the transmiter.

The headphones are 900 mhz and the T-bone is 863-875 mhz? Do they make a guitar dongle to match the wireless headphones? I'm one of those that get distracted easy if there is any delay at all. I tend be a hand eye type.

Keeper Swinging.

CH

I agree, I think the T-Bone looks neat, but is there a receiver? I would think there would have to be?

Doc

Hi Gerrit

I looked at this idea a while back but could not figure out how to get the headphones to work with with the transmiter.

The headphones are 900 mhz and the T-bone is 800 mhz? Do they make a guitar dongle to match the wireless headphones? I'm one of those that get distracted easy if there is any delay at all. I tend be a hand eye type.

Keeper Swinging.

CH

Archived