Bluetooth setup for GPX-5000

Guest silentarrow

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the T-Bone is in the same mHz range as Blue Tooth Headphones. The reason Blue Tooth has become something so many detectorists have started to experiment with is because the Pulse Induction machines do not interfere with the frequency they are on.

It seems a while ago someone was experimenting with IR transmitter and receiver but I can't remember if the had any success or not.

Like I said, personally, I don't mind having wired headphones because I can just take them off and be free of my detector, and I don't have issues with it getting caught on bushes. But a wireless battery system os fantastic.

Doc

Aren't the headphones "receivers"?

Diplomat? Not according to my wife. (most of this commentary is not directed at you Kelly)

Look if the guy wants to build a battery system, I'm happy to answer his questions. I don't sell detectors and accessories for a living. And neither does Rob. That is one of the reasons why you probably never feel pressured to buy anything from Rob and I. We aren't worried about having to sell a metal detector to make our "over-due" house payment.

And please don't take that wrong, there are plenty of full-time dealers, who are reputable and give great customer service and put the customer first before making a buck. It is just Rob and I are very blessed to not have the stress associated with having to sell Metal Detectors and accessories as our only or primary source of income. Believe me, during the really hot summer months, when people put their detectors away, there isn't a lot of business to be had.

I have heard some negative comments about the Blue Tooth Setup we sell is the same as a name brand blue tooth setup that sells for around $50 for each piece.

Well we sell the transmitter and the receiver for $96, and that is not taking into account the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter we include so the unit is machine ready. (The good Gold Plated ones, so that is another $5 in savings) I can't advertise what BRAND the setup is because under the dealer agreement I am not allowed to name the brand and sell it for less than $49.95 for each piece, so I mean figure it out it isn't rocket science.

Personally I don't quite understand the unwarranted hostility against products we have developed and provide to the detecting community. I have always tried to keep prices fair, and some things that I carry are truly a waste of inventory dollars and space, but I carry them for the convenience of the prospectors. Just like no-metal boots. We carry Bates boots that retail for $109.95, we sell them for $79.95 I make a whole $9! Hardly worth the effort when I carry at least 2 of every size in Medium and Extra wide, for a total inventory of over $10,000. That means at $9 profit per pair I would have to sell 1,111 pair just to break even on my inventory cost. I have thought to myself many times, I think I will just buy 20 pair of 9.5 mediums, (that's the size I wear) and quit selling boots. From a business perspective it really makes no sense to sell something with virtually no profit.

I certainly understand a person's desire to build their own goodies, I am constantly amazed at some of the innovative things different prospectors have come up with. It's sort of in our blood I think.

However, if you want to build something, build it and ask for advice, I think the people in the detecting community are some of the most helpful and giving people around. But I don't understand nor do I appreciate the apparent need to bash those of us in business who have invested the time and the money to come up with some innovations and test them and warranty them for the guys who don't have the desire nor the time to tinker around with such things and would rather spend their time detecting.

I have already invested the time in reading each of the manuals, and knowing that the GPX series machines are rated at 8 volts, I spent the time researching and knowing these things so my customers don't have to worry about when they buy something from me that it will work correctly and safely with their detectors.

I also sell a lambs wool arm cuff on my website, however if you go to my Things of interest link, you will also find included the detailed instructions, (including pictures, measurements, required materials) for making one yourself:

http://www.docsdetecting.com/auzum/armcuff.html

So buy one or make it yourself; obviously I am a real profiteer, trying to gouge my customers.

Take care!

Doc

Doc- you're quite the diplomat ;)

Doc,

I have been impressed with the southwest prospecting community from my first impressions, and that includes you dealers.

When someone on a forum is kind of a dick, y'all don't bite their heads off but give helpful and supportive information.

Granted - it's easy to be misunderstood in this 1-dimensional format; I've had misunderstandings with long-time friends in email.

So it's good for all of us to try to be fair and civil when dealing with strangers.

I appreciate your example. :)

The T-Bone says it works at switchable frequencies between 863-865Mhz and the Sennheiser RS100 headphones are 900 mHz. So perhaps T-Bone has a different transmitter in the 900mHz range?

Krok says he is using a transmitter like the T-Bone he did not say he is using the T-Bone, because from what I read the T-Bone is not in the right mHz range for the 900 mHz range of the Sennheiser RS100.

But the research objective is clear, find a guitar transmitter and a headphone receiver that are in the same mHz range. But if memory serves me correct you have to stay in the higher mHz range, because I think the Pulse Induction just creams the lower mHz range systems with lots of noise.

Doc

I've been useing wireless Bluetooth for awhile, Logitech transmiter and Sony Headphone. I see no lag in time, and I have found gold. Grubstake

If someone wanted to really get tecnical, you could use the transmitters and recivers like they use on Movie camara's, with switchable freqs.

Guest silentarrow

Diplomat? Not according to my wife. (most of this commentary is not directed at you Kelly)

Look if the guy wants to build a battery system, I'm happy to answer his questions. I don't sell detectors and accessories for a living. And neither does Rob. That is one of the reasons why you probably never feel pressured to buy anything from Rob and I. We aren't worried about having to sell a metal detector to make our "over-due" house payment.

And please don't take that wrong, there are plenty of full-time dealers, who are reputable and give great customer service and put the customer first before making a buck. It is just Rob and I are very blessed to not have the stress associated with having to sell Metal Detectors and accessories as our only or primary source of income. Believe me, during the really hot summer months, when people put their detectors away, there isn't a lot of business to be had.

I have heard some negative comments about the Blue Tooth Setup we sell is the same as a name brand blue tooth setup that sells for around $50 for each piece.

Well we sell the transmitter and the receiver for $96, and that is not taking into account the 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter we include so the unit is machine ready. (The good Gold Plated ones, so that is another $5 in savings) I can't advertise what BRAND the setup is because under the dealer agreement I am not allowed to name the brand and sell it for less than $49.95 for each piece, so I mean figure it out it isn't rocket science.

Personally I don't quite understand the unwarranted hostility against products we have developed and provide to the detecting community. I have always tried to keep prices fair, and some things that I carry are truly a waste of inventory dollars and space, but I carry them for the convenience of the prospectors. Just like no-metal boots. We carry Bates boots that retail for $109.95, we sell them for $79.95 I make a whole $9! Hardly worth the effort when I carry at least 2 of every size in Medium and Extra wide, for a total inventory of over $10,000. That means at $9 profit per pair I would have to sell 1,111 pair just to break even on my inventory cost. I have thought to myself many times, I think I will just buy 20 pair of 9.5 mediums, (that's the size I wear) and quit selling boots. From a business perspective it really makes no sense to sell something with virtually no profit.

I certainly understand a person's desire to build their own goodies, I am constantly amazed at some of the innovative things different prospectors have come up with. It's sort of in our blood I think.

However, if you want to build something, build it and ask for advice, I think the people in the detecting community are some of the most helpful and giving people around. But I don't understand nor do I appreciate the apparent need to bash those of us in business who have invested the time and the money to come up with some innovations and test them and warranty them for the guys who don't have the desire nor the time to tinker around with such things and would rather spend their time detecting.

I have already invested the time in reading each of the manuals, and knowing that the GPX series machines are rated at 8 volts, I spent the time researching and knowing these things so my customers don't have to worry about when they buy something from me that it will work correctly and safely with their detectors.

I also sell a lambs wool arm cuff on my website, however if you go to my Things of interest link, you will also find included the detailed instructions, (including pictures, measurements, required materials) for making one yourself:

http://www.docsdetecting.com/auzum/armcuff.html

So buy one or make it yourself; obviously I am a real profiteer, trying to gouge my customers.

Take care!

Doc

WHOA! No bashing from me!! I just simply stated there's no need to pay a high price (your goldscreamer setup costs about $500, plus bluetooth=$600) when I can do it all MYSELF for around $2-300. Only asking for help and advice, nothing more. Thanx to all who have provided it and left comments. I very much appreciate it. But Doc- I dont know you, and you dont know me....If I were to buy your complete setup and (HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING) it FRIES my $6000 detector, would you buy me a BRAND NEW ONE???? Without hearing your obvious answer, I'll just say it would be in my best interest to build my own. Then, IF it fries my detector, Im mad at MYSELF. Now do you "quite understand" what I meant? No bashing, just straight forward directness.

Hi All

I don't think Bluetooth can just link up to just any freq. So you have to have bluetooth Tx and Rx with the right format. Radio freq devices like FM to FM will work if both are on the same freq. Same with AM but AM is really staticy and can mess with the detector. So that leaves low power short raqnge FM. Every Blutooth setup I have tried has about 350 milli sec delay, now that is not much but it is still like watching a bad Kung-Fu movie. The lips and voice is just off enough you end up watching the lips and not the movie. :rolleyes: I end up thinking about the slight delay more than listening for the deep small responses, our gold here in Colorado is very small but lots of it. :D Doc I'm a dyed in the wool conservative and a free market guy. I applaud all the dealers/entrepreneurs. I plan to get your battery and gold screemer pac from Rob as soon as I get a few more bucks in my fun account. That is a great product, and like you I don't mind the headphones, and if I don't want to wear them then I can use the little speaker. So I'm all for you and your ideas, and you should be paid for your products. Darn a new ML battery is 500.00 and you don't get the Gold screamer with them and you have to carry and extra battery cable. Noop your battery pac is a steel of a deal.

Keeper Swinging Doc

CH

I have both the T.bone transmitter 863 mhz (16 channels) and a separate Thomman 863 mhz receiver (for belt mounting). There are however a heap of other hip mounted receivers out there. Some of them cheaper than this model.

Thoman 863 receiver

They work instantaneously together but do use up batteries relatively quickly (1 AA for the transmitter, 2 AA for the receiver). The beauty of the receiver is that you can plug anything into it, including noise canceling headphones. One problem though is that the transmitter-receiver does modify the tonal response you hear from the GPX. Nevertheless it is clear and there is absolutely no interferance. There is also no delay.

You can also buy your own headphones which receive 863 mhz. They start real cheap.

Does the DOC bluetooth system modify the tonal response?

Here the Sennheiser 130

http://www.generalmanual.com/Headphones/Sennheiser-RS-130-Cordless-Headphones.htm

Works in the 863 to 865 kHz range like the T-Bone trasnmitter. The T-Bone is apparently only avialable in the foreign markets for around $71 plus shipping but you can get the Sennheiser Cordless headphone for around $99.99.

So you can figure $200.

Now the only thing I caution you about is what happens if you don't like the sound of the headphones, or the way they fit?

That is why I liked the idea of having a bluetooth receiver that you could hook your favorite headphones into. I love my Grey Ghost headphones and just can't imagine using anything else.

Here is another good option the Koss Cobalt Blue Tooth System. I am a Koss dealer and my COST on these is $119.95, they retail for $199.99 so I have no idea how these retailers are selling this system for $123.20, but they are !

The neat thing about this system is it comes with the KOSS Blue Tooth Headphones, and two transmitters. One for your USB port on your computer so you can use it as a headphone microphone, and a little plug in dongle transmitter for your detector or other electronic gadget. That is a screaming deal at $123.30 and I think shipping is only $7 from buy.com.

Picture of COBALT Headphones

BUY.COM

BCOT

Doc

We stand behind our products and if Minelab says our system is what fried your detector then we would pay for the repair. That's the obvious answer and anyone who knows how I do business doesn't have to ask the question.

As far as the price for the Gold Screamer Power Pack, 2 TWO batteries, control box cover, etc. for $469. 1 ONE Minelab battery, no control box cover, $570.

Doc

WHOA! No bashing from me!! I just simply stated there's no need to pay a high price (your goldscreamer setup costs about $500, plus bluetooth=$600) when I can do it all MYSELF for around $2-300. Only asking for help and advice, nothing more. Thanx to all who have provided it and left comments. I very much appreciate it. But Doc- I dont know you, and you dont know me....If I were to buy your complete setup and (HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING) it FRIES my $6000 detector, would you buy me a BRAND NEW ONE???? Without hearing your obvious answer, I'll just say it would be in my best interest to build my own. Then, IF it fries my detector, Im mad at MYSELF. Now do you "quite understand" what I meant? No bashing, just straight forward directness.

Guest silentarrow

I've been useing wireless Bluetooth for awhile, Logitech transmiter and Sony Headphone. I see no lag in time, and I have found gold. Grubstake

If someone wanted to really get tecnical, you could use the transmitters and recivers like they use on Movie camara's, with switchable freqs.

Can you show me where you got your transmitter?

I got mie at Staples, they came with a set of behind the head phones for $79.00 but the head phone soon break, So I got the sony's and they are fine, and work with the transimtter, you can match them up, The transmitter will scan untill it finds your head phones, and the same with the headphones, they willscan untill they match up. Transmitter# Model is f0461B. and my sony headset is DR-BT22 Grubstake

Guest silentarrow

I got mie at Staples, they came with a set of behind the head phones for $79.00 but the head phone soon break, So I got the sony's and they are fine, and work with the transimtter, you can match them up, The transmitter will scan untill it finds your head phones, and the same with the headphones, they willscan untill they match up. Transmitter# Model is f0461B. and my sony headset is DR-BT22 Grubstake

Youre the man, Grub. Thanx

• Admin

Hello All,

I see there is a good thread going here about the Bluetooth system. I have sold a handful of them recently, but I personally haven't used one as of yet. I've always been a fan of good ole headphones (Black Widow's). I've seen several guys that are using the Bluetooth RX/TX systemn and they swear by them.

I'm going to give them a run here in the next week or so and post what I think. For the detectorist that want a completely wireless system, this is the way to go. The Goldscreamer Power Pack or Coiltek Pocket Rocket along with a Bluetooth system might be the "Cat's Meow!"

P.S. I have to agree with Doc, he has stood behind all his products 110%. This is one reason I haven't even looked to sell another manufacture's coil or product if Doc has them. Doc has taken care of all of my customers that have had warranty issues. If there is a true warranty issues, Doc don't ask questions. However, there is always someone looking to get a new coil or product after a couple of years, so it's not as easy to get something switched out since some Nuckle Heads want someone for nothing!

One customer about a month ago called and bragged he has found over 12 ounces with a new Goldstalker coil, but ended up backing over it with his truck. He wanted to know if we would give him a new one. Come on dude, you just found over $13,000 in gold with your coil, but you fucked up and ran it over and you want me to replace it. :o

Take care,

Rob Allison

Guest silentarrow

Hello All,

I see there is a good thread going here about the Bluetooth system. I have sold a handful of them recently, but I personally haven't used one as of yet. I've always been a fan of good ole headphones (Black Widow's). I've seen several guys that are using the Bluetooth RX/TX systemn and they swear by them.

I'm going to give them a run here in the next week or so and post what I think. For the detectorist that want a completely wireless system, this is the way to go. The Goldscreamer Power Pack or Coiltek Pocket Rocket along with a Bluetooth system might be the "Cat's Meow!"

P.S. I have to agree with Doc, he has stood behind all his products 110%. This is one reason I haven't even looked to sell another manufacture's coil or product if Doc has them. Doc has taken care of all of my customers that have had warranty issues. If there is a true warranty issues, Doc don't ask questions. However, there is always someone looking to get a new coil or product after a couple of years, so it's not as easy to get something switched out since some Nuckle Heads want someone for nothing!

One customer about a month ago called and bragged he has found over 12 ounces with a new Goldstalker coil, but ended up backing over it with his truck. He wanted to know if we would give him a new one. Come on dude, you just found over $13,000 in gold with your coil, but you fucked up and ran it over and you want me to replace it. :o

Take care,

Rob Allison

Thanx Rob. Look forward to your thoughts on this and dig your vids on youtube. Bought your cousin's dvd too. Great info.

Guest silentarrow

Thanx Rob. Look forward to your thoughts on this and dig your vids on youtube. Bought your cousin's dvd too. Great info.

If you could video your bluetooth test and upload it to youtube, that'd be awesome.

Hi All

There is only the guitar transmitter and the headset, nothing in between.

My headset is the hdr 100 not the rs 100, sorry to mix things up guy's.

There is no delay, its as fast as a regular headset like the koss ur 30.

The guitar transmitter comes with a mono jack, it works with the 4000 butt its possible that it don't work

on every detector, some need a stereo jack, there is a easy test for this, if it works on your radio or tv and not on the detector,

you have to file a groove in the jack to make it stereo.

Not all headsets in the 863-865 range will work, you have to find out yourself, the hdr 100 works butt its a older model.

Meaby you can contact this company, http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AKG-GTRBUGFL40A-LIST?src=A0807AFLHAMS0000

this guitar transmitter has a 11 houres batery live, mine has only 3 to 4 houres [ single aaa batery ]

They also could find out wath headset wil match.

Good luck with your project.

Regards

Gerrit

One of my customers has just reported to me that he used his Blue Tooth system he got that we sell while at the Gold Basin outing and he DID notice a delay.

So that is not good news. For some people a very small delay might me something they could adapt to, personally it would drive me up a freaking wall. :girl:

So for anyone who has invested in one of these from myself or Rob, if you don't like the way it functions, please let me know and I will happily refund your money.

It looks like I have to go back to the drawing board on this one. I thought this would be such a great solution because the units are so small and they are rechargeable; POOP! :blush:

The guitar transmitter might be a good idea, but I still like the idea of having a receiver that allows you to use your own set of headphones.

However, trying to source the thing here in the U.S. looks like it might be a chore as the one KROK is showing I think is from the U.K. nd it looks like they are substantially more expensive.

Doc

I have been using these wireless ones from Radio Shack for several years. Not BLUETOOTH I guess but it enables me to wear a big floppy hat to cover me up and give me lots of shade when I cant find a tree.

Micheal

Radio Shack Digital Wireless Headphones Behind Head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=310265948947

Guest silentarrow

I have been using these wireless ones from Radio Shack for several years. Not BLUETOOTH I guess but it enables me to wear a big floppy hat to cover me up and give me lots of shade when I cant find a tree.

Micheal

Radio Shack Digital Wireless Headphones Behind Head.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=310265948947

Link doesnt work.

Guest silentarrow

Yea, I saw that. Just type in "behind the head wireless headphones" in the E-BAY search field and it will come up with a couple of them on sale now. Or go to RS and check them out.

Micheal

All wireless headphones on RS show "OUT OF STOCK"..........

Archived