Bluetooth setup for GPX-5000

Guest silentarrow

Guest silentarrow

Yea, I saw that. Just type in "behind the head wireless headphones" in the E-BAY search field and it will come up with a couple of them on sale now. Or go to RS and check them out.

Micheal

Found the pair you show on ebay......where do I get a wireless transmitter?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest silentarrow

Yea, I saw that. Just type in "behind the head wireless headphones" in the E-BAY search field and it will come up with a couple of them on sale now. Or go to RS and check them out.

Micheal

AND, is an amp required? Or not necessary?

AND, is an amp required? Or not necessary?

It comes with the transmitter. It has a flip out dongle. I made up a short patch cord to go between the transmitter and my battery, I run and GP Extreme. I put the transmitter in a cheap camera pouch and hang it from one of my D rings and run the cord inside/under harness back to the battery. The head phones have a volume control wheel and seem to be plenty loud but lately I have been thinking about one of Doc's gold screamer amps. It might change my luck and let me get just a little bit.

Micheal

One of my customers has just reported to me that he used his Blue Tooth system he got that we sell while at the Gold Basin outing and he DID notice a delay.

So that is not good news. For some people a very small delay might me something they could adapt to, personally it would drive me up a freaking wall. :girl:

So for anyone who has invested in one of these from myself or Rob, if you don't like the way it functions, please let me know and I will happily refund your money.

It looks like I have to go back to the drawing board on this one. I thought this would be such a great solution because the units are so small and they are rechargeable; POOP! :blush:

The guitar transmitter might be a good idea, but I still like the idea of having a receiver that allows you to use your own set of headphones.

However, trying to source the thing here in the U.S. looks like it might be a chore as the one KROK is showing I think is from the U.K. nd it looks like they are substantially more expensive.

Doc

Awhile back I talked about the blutooth delay and you said it does not exist... sure glad I did not listen to that advice!

Hi All

Use this on my 4000 for 2 year now, a guitar transmitter like this http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_gt_ews.htm and a sennheiser rs 100 wireless headset

this is no bluetoothso so no delay's, in combination with the pocket rocket system I am completly wireless.

If you look for guitar transmitters on google, you wil find oter brands to.

Regards from Holland

Gerrit

For some reason i have not had good luck with Bluetooth transmitters...[mp3,etc]..i kinda like the idea of this transmitter system......but with the GP Extreme, I wonder if this type transmission will cause interference issues???

Just thinking out loud....any answers out there?

paul

I said that in my tests, which were limited, that I did not notice a delay. It also may have to do with a person's tolerance level. Apparently the delay is extremely small, and perhaps some people are more preceptive of it than other people. Chris is using the same system and does not notice a delay, Grubstake has a Blue Tooth system and does not notice a delay.

Regardless, if one customer has an issue with the system I think it is my responsibility to report the problem so other potential customers are aware of the issue. I have $2500 worth of these things, I guess they will be going on Ebay for people who need to use them to listen wirelessly to their stereo or other audio devices.

I don't knowingly sell things that don't work.

Doc

Awhile back I talked about the blutooth delay and you said it does not exist... sure glad I did not listen to that advice!

Guest silentarrow

I said that in my tests, which were limited, that I did not notice a delay. It also may have to do with a person's tolerance level. Apparently the delay is extremely small, and perhaps some people are more preceptive of it than other people. Chris is using the same system and does not notice a delay, Grubstake has a Blue Tooth system and does not notice a delay.

Regardless, if one customer has an issue with the system I think it is my responsibility to report the problem so other potential customers are aware of the issue. I have $2500 worth of these things, I guess they will be going on Ebay for people who need to use them to listen wirelessly to their stereo or other audio devices.

I don't knowingly sell things that don't work.

Doc

Id like to know how we got to talking about all this crap, when we started out discussing helping me build my own set up.

Welcome to a typical forum thread. As threads go, this one has stayed pretty much on topic. I have tried to answer every question you have presented. What is it you still have a question about, maybe I can help you.

I believe we got into this area of discussion because you are trying to build a wireless set up and we were discussing different wireless headphone alternatives, and apparently some people are having Blue Tooth latency issues. So I assume you would want to know that as that does not seem to be a good option.

Doc

Id like to know how we got to talking about all this crap, when we started out discussing helping me build my own set up.

Guest silentarrow

Welcome to a typical forum thread. As threads go, this one has stayed pretty much on topic. I have tried to answer every question you have presented. What is it you still have a question about, maybe I can help you.

I believe we got into this area of discussion because you are trying to build a wireless set up and we were discussing different wireless headphone alternatives, and apparently some people are having Blue Tooth latency issues. So I assume you would want to know that as that does not seem to be a good option.

Doc

Ive purchased both. Still waiting for some of the parts. I bought the sony bt headset and a bt transmiter. I also bought the wireless headset from RS on ebay. I am going to make a video soon using both setups (without an amp) on my GPX-5000. When the video is ready I will post it on youtube and on this thread.

For some reason i have not had good luck with Bluetooth transmitters...[mp3,etc]..i kinda like the idea of this transmitter system......but with the GP Extreme, I wonder if this type transmission will cause interference issues???

Just thinking out loud....any answers out there?

paul

When I wore the transmitter down low on the belt and behind my back next to the battery, I noticed a bit of static when I turned my head just right. When I moved the transmitter to my front, hanging off a D ring it works just fine. Not quite wireless because of the patch cable run under my harness but it is out of the way and does not get snagged on bushes. Again, I was going for the hat issue and this one works for me. Other than that, the Koss UR30's are my next choice because to me, that is normal volume and what I compare to.

Micheal

Guest silentarrow

Doc

The main question I have that has not been answered, is: Is an amplifier required for wireless headsets attached to an aftermarket battery that is attached to the machine? Or will the GPX-5000 run the headsets thru the transmitters on its own? The question stems from the stock battery having an amplifier built in.

I would say no, because you can run a battery off a 4000 on the 5000, which the 4000 battery has no amp. Grubstake

All the Blue tooth set ups I have seen and use, have an amp in them, I know mine does, its very loud and has a volume control on it. to ajust it to fit your needs.

Guest silentarrow

I would say no, because you can run a battery off a 4000 on the 5000, which the 4000 battery has no amp. Grubstake

Then what is the purpose of the amplifier? Is for the hard of hearing?

Guest silentarrow

All the Blue tooth set ups I have seen and use, have an amp in them, I know mine does, its very loud and has a volume control on it. to ajust it to fit your needs.

Which setup do you use, Grub?

Guest silentarrow

When I wore the transmitter down low on the belt and behind my back next to the battery, I noticed a bit of static when I turned my head just right. When I moved the transmitter to my front, hanging off a D ring it works just fine. Not quite wireless because of the patch cable run under my harness but it is out of the way and does not get snagged on bushes. Again, I was going for the hat issue and this one works for me. Other than that, the Koss UR30's are my next choice because to me, that is normal volume and what I compare to.

Micheal

Hey Mike, Youre in sac? Im in roseville. What kind of detector do you have? Im looking for someone with a GPX machine to go detecting with.

Guest silentarrow

We been through this a couple of times, look back in this thread, it has what I use, and the amp in the GPX battery is for driving speakers! mainly. Grubstake

So your "logitech" transmitter has an amp built in?

It depends on your hearing. Some guys are perfectly happy without the amplification, personally I can't work without an amplifier because I have a hearing loss.

I believe in a previous post I said that the cheapest way to amplify your setup would be with a Radio Shack little speaker amplifier that runs off a 9 volt.

So the amplification issue is one of personal choice, I have no way of knowing if you need an amplifier, but in the event that you did, the Radio Shack option is the cheapest option.

Doc

The main question I have that has not been answered, is: Is an amplifier required for wireless headsets attached to an aftermarket battery that is attached to the machine? Or will the GPX-5000 run the headsets thru the transmitters on its own? The question stems from the stock battery having an amplifier built in.

Yes for people who have hearing loss, or some people just like to be able to amplify the small targets, and the other reason is so you can drive the optional speakers for people that don't want to use headphones.

Doc

Then what is the purpose of the amplifier? Is for the hard of hearing?

Hey Doc,

At least your honest about your product, dont see that much in people anymore, and with that honesty, I would become a repeat customer on your products. Now I have heard rumers <_< that the 900 Mhz RCA headphone set and transmitter work great with no delay... but the size is a factor. Maybe taking it apart and modifying it would be an option. Also the IR ones have problems, so thats also a no go.

Dave

Guest silentarrow

Hey Doc,

At least your honest about your product, dont see that much in people anymore, and with that honesty, I would become a repeat customer on your products. Now I have heard rumers <_< that the 900 Mhz RCA headphone set and transmitter work great with no delay... but the size is a factor. Maybe taking it apart and modifying it would be an option. Also the IR ones have problems, so thats also a no go.

Dave

I ordered a 2.4GHz set. Both the headset and transmitter are wireless and battery powered. Im going to make a video where I test both the bluetooth setup and the 2.4GHz setup. When its ready I will post it on this thread and on youtube.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest silentarrow

Hey guys, I should have all the parts and be able to make the video this weekend. In the meantime, I saw this on ebay....screamin deal on a new 5000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320613876113&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

OK folks, I have all the parts, bought a new sony hd camcorder and will be driving up to Tahoe first thing in the morning to make the video. I think you'll all be impressed. Been playing around with it. Pretty cool.

Archived