Bluetooth setup for GPX-5000

Guest silentarrow

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest silentarrow

silentarrow,

What is your final setup and how much have you spent in your quest?

New Beeper

Bought the entire battery setup, battery (7.4v 10000mah), short gpx cord with speaker jack, home power cord for balance charger, car charger, digital battery meter all for about 170 with shipping. The digital headset from radio shack was 30 on ebay. The bluetooth headset was about 60 but I use for my ipod too, so its not a waste if I decide not to use it.

Guest silentarrow

Thanks, That's good to know. I was just wondering, as recently I contacted the fellow selling the battery packs and he insisted I needed an amp to use the headphones. Go figure...

I'll make a video showing they work and post it in a couple days. I should also have added that the two headsets I demonstrated have volume controls on the headsets themselves. I had both at about half and they were screamin'.

Guest silentarrow

I'd like to throw this out there and see what feedback it gets....

I spoke with a gent the other day who says he's been with minelab using their detectors for over twenty years. Says he does so well they send him detectors for free just to try out. He claims that he finds as high as 17 POUNDS of gold at a time, on a regular basis. Anyone think he's yankin' my chain? He wasnt trying to sell me anything, just an average bullshit session.

Guest silentarrow

You never know.. Truth is stranger than fiction. Guys that know how to pocket hunt quartz veins and seams can do well.

I dont mean to doubt, I hope he's straight up. He said he would take me out and teach me some tricks of the 5000. I'd be happy to find 1% of what he says he finds. Haha

SA, Can you tell me if the Koss headphones work with that battery setup? Or is an amp needed.

Thanks

Hi Wes this is Bill from Bill and Linda's. I don't recommend plugging directly into a GPX 4500, 4800 or 5000 with any headphone with my simple adapters. It may work ok if they're high impedance but why chance it. A lot of headphones out there are low impedanace and after a while you may smell smoke! My simple battery system was made to work with someones amplifier for isolation like Doc's, Chris or one of mine. These have a high like 600 ohm input impedaance. Definately don't plug a speaker system of low 8 ohms impedance into the adapter, (Minelab) your asking for smoke. Impedance is the resistance a AC circuit presents to a signal. Something you can't measure with a ohm meter like in total resistive circuits. Anyway stay safe, use my simple system with someones amp/booster on your expensive GPX. I didn't want to chime in on this but I was starting to smell smoke......Bill

Hi silentarrow

Very nice film, very interesting.

You wrote, I ordered a 2.4GHz set. Both the headset and transmitter are wireless and battery powered.

Cauld you give me the name and number off the 2.4 khz setup and were to buy it in the usa.

Can't find it in europe wright now.

Thank's and goodluck on your projecs.

Regarts from Holland

Gerrit

Guest silentarrow

Hi Wes this is Bill from Bill and Linda's. I don't recommend plugging directly into a GPX 4500, 4800 or 5000 with any headphone with my simple adapters. It may work ok if they're high impedance but why chance it. A lot of headphones out there are low impedanace and after a while you may smell smoke! My simple battery system was made to work with someones amplifier for isolation like Doc's, Chris or one of mine. These have a high like 600 ohm input impedaance. Definately don't plug a speaker system of low 8 ohms impedance into the adapter, (Minelab) your asking for smoke. Impedance is the resistance a AC circuit presents to a signal. Something you can't measure with a ohm meter like in total resistive circuits. Anyway stay safe, use my simple system with someones amp/booster on your expensive GPX. I didn't want to chime in on this but I was starting to smell smoke......Bill

I didnt see or smell any smoke. Where are you saying the smoke will come from? The speaker or the detector? Are you also saying that my wireless headsets are a bad idea?

Guest silentarrow

Hi silentarrow

Very nice film, very interesting.

You wrote, I ordered a 2.4GHz set. Both the headset and transmitter are wireless and battery powered.

Cauld you give me the name and number off the 2.4 khz setup and were to buy it in the usa.

Can't find it in europe wright now.

Thank's and goodluck on your projecs.

Regarts from Holland

Gerrit

Here's the exact set I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-Digital-Wireless-Headphones-Behind-Head-/390262586514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5add767c92

Hi silentarrow

Bill is right, a low impedance load will draw to much current from the pre amp in the GPX. The 4500, 4800 and 5000 have high impedance amps in the battery to protect the audio pre amp in the detector. The Bluetooth tramsmiter and the 2.4 GHZ transmiter are both high impedance loads so no problem with them. The little radio shack speaker I don't know if it is powered then it should be ok. If not you need to look at the inpedance on the spec sheet if it is below 150 ohms you could kill your audio circuit in the detector. At the least you will drain your battery faster. You need to be very carefull with LI-PO batterys, they are very sensitive to discharge rates. You really need the amp between the audio plug and the load. (headphones speakers, ect.) If something shorts out you need the protection of a high impedance load. It may not smoke the audio preamp right away but, the added wear and tear most likly will shorten it's life. I'm using the same system you are but with Bill's amp omn my GPX.

Keeper Swinging

CH

I didnt see or smell any smoke. Where are you saying the smoke will come from? The speaker or the detector? Are you also saying that my wireless headsets are a bad idea?

The Bluetooth tramsmiter and the 2.4 GHZ transmiter are both high impedance loads so no problem with them. The little radio shack speaker I don't know if it is powered then it should be ok. If not you need to look at the inpedance on the spec sheet if it is below 150 ohms you could kill your audio circuit in the detector. At the least you will drain your battery faster. You need to be very carefull with LI-PO batterys, they are very sensitive to discharge rates. You really need the amp between the audio plug and the load. (headphones speakers, ect.)

Hi CH

You say ---The Bluetooth tramsmiter and the 2.4 GHZ transmiter are both high impedance loads so no problem with them..................

Lets say you used a BNZ booster which has its own power supply in the way of 2xAAA batteries , could you not use a transmitter on the audio out signal and use a receiver which in turn now supplies the BNZ booster with the audio signal ??

A true wireless set up with ext speakers , would that not work ?

Cheers Marty

Hi Marty

Yes that setup would be fine. Like I said the wireless system with TX/Rec units is not a problem. the BNZ amp should work fine plugged into the wireless Rec. Most likely you will need to adjust the detector volume and amp volume to get a clear audio, but that should not be a problem to get them balanced.

Keeper Swinging

CH

CH

Thanks for that , I to had been thinking about an unwired GP/GPX system for some time now and it wasn't until this thread that I started to looking into a little harder

I have found a flat 10'000ma poly battery , got the charger, getting some splitter leads made as we speak and the transmitter/receiver only has a 12milli sec delay so it should suit the app nicely

I had a similar system on my older 3000/3500/4000 with the BNZ & battery mounted on the detector and the speaker was mounted to the side of the handle worked really well , never knew why I sold it with the detectors back then LOL , back and better soon

Marty

Guest silentarrow

CH

Thanks for that , I to had been thinking about an unwired GP/GPX system for some time now and it wasn't until this thread that I started to looking into a little harder

I have found a flat 10'000ma poly battery , got the charger, getting some splitter leads made as we speak and the transmitter/receiver only has a 12milli sec delay so it should suit the app nicely

I had a similar system on my older 3000/3500/4000 with the BNZ & battery mounted on the detector and the speaker was mounted to the side of the handle worked really well , never knew why I sold it with the detectors back then LOL , back and better soon

Marty

Archived