Sudan Part 12

Saturday we continue our sight seeing as we cross the Nile into Obdurman. We arrive at Esam's Mother and Father's home to attend the celebration being held for all of us that went on the prospecting trip. WARNING, there is video of a lamb being butchered for the party in this video. Graphic portions were blurred out. However if you are squeamish about such things please do not watch the video.

BLOWN AWAY? Was that a play on words? :blink: I just can't imagine how strong your lungs have to be to inflate a lamb. I wanted to tie ropes to the legs and take it on a parade and float it down the street, however no one but me thought that was a good idea ??? :spank:

Doc

That was very interesting Doc. I have never seen the technique of blowing air to seperate the hide from the meat. This whole series has blown me away. Thank's again for sharing it with us! - Terry

I really intriguing prospecting adventure, Loved every second of the videos so far. I'm guessing they the local bread maker hasn't seen many white people there except for on TV. Did you see any other people that looked to be tourists as you were zipping through town?

Ran into one other Caucasian there. He was a professor at the university. Made no difference, while we all may have cultural differences and our heritage may be different good people are good people. They love their family and their kids, they are God fearing, they cherish their friends and they have warm hearts and friendly smiles.

I feel very fortunate to have made so many new friends and hopefully helped many prospectors be more successful.

Doc

I really intriguing prospecting adventure, Loved every second of the videos so far. I'm guessing they the local bread maker hasn't seen many white people there except for on TV. Did you see any other people that looked to be tourists as you were zipping through town?

Hey Doc

Great stuff and the music went well with it all too. :D What I find most interesting about it is this is one of the places the Kings would of mined gold. Who knows how many other places 2000+ years ago that they mined. I don't think I've ever read anything about where the Kings mined and how they would of did it. Did you see or hear how they did it? I saw something about finding old trails from space. Could be a good way to find those spots.

Kim

Saturday we continue our sight seeing as we cross the Nile into Obdurman. We arrive at Esam's Mother and Father's home to attend the celebration being held for all of us that went on the prospecting trip. WARNING, there is video of a lamb being butchered for the party in this video. Graphic portions were blurred out. However if you are squeamish about such things please do not watch the video.

Greetings,

it's "Omdurman" not "Obdurman" by the way - "Um" or "Om" means mother in Arabic.Thats a usual custom to (butcher) a lamb for a guest because lamp meat considered the finest type of meats in Sudan.There's also modern baking shops ("Khabbaz" - in Arabic) for the traditional one you documented in the video.I liked the narraitives

you give.

Cheers :D

Sorry about the spelling of Omdurman. I knew that was how it was spelled too but I think I have typed it wrong before.

I certainly enjoyed the lamb, it was cooked on an open fire in small pieces and seasoned, it was delicious.

We actually went to one of the modern baking shops the last night in Omdurman, you probably know of it. It is close to the big open market and they had ever manner of sweet pastry imaginable. They had Baklava, and so many other delicious things. My host, Esam, kept having them give me samples of everything, I almost went into sugar shock. Then he had them prepare a big variety on a plate and had them wrap it so I could take it on the plane backto my family. I could have not had a better host or guide than Esam. Outside, in front of the bakery they had an ice cream stand. However, for the traditional bread, I really loved the bread purchased in the old wood fired ovens, tucked away in some little neighborhood.

I also took a dozen pieces of that bread home to the U.S. and my family devoured it.

Thanks for your kind comment Geo, where have you been we have missed you here. I should have had you watch all of my videos to tell me if I had made any errors. A lot of the things I reported were my observations, or what I thought I remembered being told, however I was surviving on about 4 hours of sleep a night so my memory isn't always accurate.

Doc

Greetings,

it's "Omdurman" not "Obdurman" by the way - "Um" or "Om" means mother in Arabic.Thats a usual custom to (butcher) a lamb for a guest because lamp meat considered the finest type of meats in Sudan.There's also modern baking shops ("Khabbaz" - in Arabic) for the traditional one you documented in the video.I liked the narraitives

you give.

Cheers :D

Sorry about the spelling of Omdurman. I knew that was how it was spelled too but I think I have typed it wrong before.

I certainly enjoyed the lamb, it was cooked on an open fire in small pieces and seasoned, it was delicious.

We actually went to one of the modern baking shops the last night in Omdurman, you probably know of it. It is close to the big open market and they had ever manner of sweet pastry imaginable. They had Baklava, and so many other delicious things. My host, Esam, kept having them give me samples of everything, I almost went into sugar shock. Then he had them prepare a big variety on a plate and had them wrap it so I could take it on the plane backto my family. I could have not had a better host or guide than Esam. Outside, in front of the bakery they had an ice cream stand. However, for the traditional bread, I really loved the bread purchased in the old wood fired ovens, tucked away in some little neighborhood.

I also took a dozen pieces of that bread home to the U.S. and my family devoured it.

Thanks for your kind comment Geo, where have you been we have missed you here. I should have had you watch all of my videos to tell me if I had made any errors. A lot of the things I reported were my observations, or what I thought I remembered being told, however I was surviving on about 4 hours of sleep a night so my memory isn't always accurate.

Doc

It must be as you mentioned the way the told you of the names - not a big issue though- I thank Mr Esam on behalf of all the Sudanese for taking care of you(lucky you :lol: )

I lived in Omdurman city since 1995 for about 6 years and left it afterward s to Khartoum.It's a beautiful city.Back then when I am in Omdurman I lived near the big market (Souq Omdurman) and yeah I know the baking shops you mentioned.I agree with you the traditional bread is very specifically delicious and am glad that your family liked it.That's kind of you saying that about me, I am just a little man in a huge country ;) .

When you came to Sudan at that time I've been studying German Language - which is why i didn't know about your arrival til you left to your country.Although you looked tired i feel like you enjoyed your journey in the Sudan.Hope you are giving us another visit in the Sudan in the near future.

Live in peace you and your family.

Geo

Archived