Hodan's shovel pick

• Admin

Hey Miner49,

The picture looks a bit different, but it should be the Hodan Pro Pick. AZO is the exclusive dealer for that product. I sell all the normal Hodan picks, but can also get a Pro Pick if someone needed one. John Hodan is the maker and they are great picks.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob,

I don't think it's the pro pick, it's looks almost like damascus steel all one piece. It has a nice curve to it, scoops realy well. It is a Hodan though. The pro pick has like a shovel welded on.

Miner49

Speaking of picks:

Arne Solterbeck, of CCpicks.com.au of Australia contacted me and asked me if I would arrange for distribution of their picks here in the United States. I told Arne, "mate, this is a tough market for picks, everyone and his brother is making picks, and they are all pretty darn good picks." He assured me the design of his were different and the quality second to none. He sent me over the samples in the picture, and having laid my hands on them I am favorably impressed.

I told him I would let you all have a look and tell me what you think. Of course if Doc's Detecting starts to distribute these picks they will be available from Rob.

CC Picks, Ltd. Australia

Thanks

Doc

I just keep selling them Grubby. Never had one come back and never had a complaint. But it's nice to have a little variety, everyone likes something a little different. I personally think that Hodan Shovel Pick looks great too. Hoss Blackman and I were the first ones to introduce the original shovel pick 19 years ago, the Aussie Claim Jumper pick.

Remember that one? We still sell it and guys still buy it. It's a wonderful pick if the ground isn't super hard, it moves more dirt than any pick I have ever seen.

It was a well made pick and we took a blade of a shovel and welded it to the pick.

Doc

I don't even have pricing on the CCPicks yet. They are adjusting it to reflect our economy and the exchange rate. I am hoping Arne will price them a little more reasonably. Plus those AUD prices include their GST tax. I told Arne he would have to take into account the pricing of the competition picks here.

The Aussie Claim Jumper heavy? Not all that heavy. I have found something out about picks through the years. A little heavier pcik is better for your hands and arms than a lighter weight pick. When you take the pick off your shoulder and let it "FALL" to the ground you want the weight of the pick to do the work to break up the ground. Lighter weight picks make you use your grip and muscle to propel them into the ground which sends a hell of a shock through your hand. When you are powering the pick with your muscles, you have to grip the pick tightly and the impact of the head into the ground really plays hell with your tendons. When the pick is heavy your hand basically guides the pick as it slams into the ground and you do not have to grip it so forcefully.

I have the hand surgery to back up my opinions.

Take care!

Doc

Doc those CCpicks look nice and also built to last. The price is kind of high. I remember

those picks from Hoss they were heavy as hell.

I agree with Doc, a heavier pick on harder ground makes more sense, I use my Talon for that it's just

easier to dig because of its weight.

The older I get the more I think about how I do things (I even read directions now :D )

I detect in all kinds of terrain in Northern California and Nevada, sometimes a longer handle

works as a walking stick and gives me more stability. Moving gravel and loose rocks in tailing

piles without a wide head on your pick can take awhile even if you turn it sideways.

At least that's my excuse for the 10 or more picks I have.....maybe I just like buying picks!!

Miner49

In my short time at nugget hunting, I have tried about 10 different styles of picks. For me, a lite weight pick works best. Most folks that are new to all this need a lite weight pick that will preform well and is afordable, the Hermit Picks, do this.

I am not trying to slam anyone elses picks as I think a heavy pick has its place, I have a heavy one that I got from Doc a couple years ago that worked great for digging crystels at Rye Patch out of solid rock but I could not carry that thing all day. And lets face it, most nuggets are fairly shallow but if you do have to dig a "crater", a lite weight pick is up to the task. This hole was 14"-16" deep and was dug with ease.

Bunk

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Have to agree there are so many picks out there now you have a huge selection of sizes, shapes and weights. I have to agree with Adam, when you lessen the diameter of the handle at the head, you create a weak point. I have snapped many of these type of picks when you do prying. For average digging they will hold up, but if you're going to move boulders and use it to pry, you will eventually snap the head off.

My favorite all time pick was the Walco W3. I think you can still get them, but they are out of Australia. The wood was almost unbreakable! I still have a few wore out Walco's that were from the early to mid 90's and I wore out the metal before the wooden handles.

I'm currently using the Pro-Gold pick, but have considered some other picks such as the Apex.

Just my opinions.

Rob Allison

I have a real variety of coils now, a PI and VLF detector, a bunch of picks Apex's - Hodan's,

Geo-Pick, a dig bar, a 1942 Military trench pick and I take most everything with me on most hunts.

It's almost like playing golf, you don't just use one club for everything, each one has a purpose.

I like having a nice selection of tools in my bag to choose from, besides that's half the fun

of detecting to me is buying cool stuff!

Miner49

Archived