Custom 4x4 Prospecting/Camping Trailer Build

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool - that is the M101 I think. Early in the thread I said the M101A was a 1/4 ton but I was wrong it's the M416 that is a 1/4 ton. The M101a has a different lug bolt pattern.

Here's a bit more info....

http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m101_trailer.php

I wonder why they say here the trailer has a max speed of 15mph? :blink:

15mph! wow. You got me that trailer pulls great with a huge load of wood on it. No wobble at all. I cant get it registered in the great state we live in. Dmv wont do it. Luckly i live close to the mountain, so i dont care. Nice info! There's a guy here in graeagle that has the old army power wagon that borrows it every year for the 4th of july parade. Looks cool.

Slight change of the original plans, Added side boxes. What respectable prospecting ole muley doesn't have saddle bags?

Moretrailer002800x600.jpg

Also we got the the SWEET Multi-Axis Coupler from Adventure Trailers installed. It's a great hitch but harder to hook up then a pintle or ball style. However it makes NO noise and does not bind up at all. It's got many great reveiws and last month of JP mag had a good write up and give it high marks.

Also very happpy with the fit behind the Jeep. The Jeep will high center before the trailer will.

Moretrailerstuff012800x600.jpg

Moretrailerstuff013800x600.jpg

Now to make the doors for the "Saddle Bags".....

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working my butt off and it's coming along pretty slow but getting closer....can almost smell the paint now.

Got the lids on the side boxes and a table on the tailgate. Battery box is installed in the rear can hold 2 of the big boy Optima D31A batteries.

Sept2011030800x600.jpg

I've been working my butt off and it's coming along pretty slow but getting closer....can almost smell the paint now.

Got the lids on the side boxes and a table on the tailgate. Battery box is installed in the rear can hold 2 of the big boy Optima D31A batteries.

Sept2011030800x600.jpg

Weres the jacuzzi going to go? :)

Your doing good!

Very nice trailer.

You aught to paint it with PPG Chamelion paint. Its cheep :P

Keep up the good work.

Tom

15mph! wow. You got me that trailer pulls great with a huge load of wood on it. No wobble at all. I cant get it registered in the great state we live in. Dmv wont do it. Luckly i live close to the mountain, so i dont care. Nice info! There's a guy here in graeagle that has the old army power wagon that borrows it every year for the 4th of july parade. Looks cool.

Who did you talk to in Quincy DMV? I have the same trailer from the same place and registered it no problem? Doug didn't bat an eye.

Kenny

Weres the jacuzzi going to go? :)

Your doing good!

Very nice trailer.

You aught to paint it with PPG Chamelion paint. Its cheep :P

Keep up the good work.

Tom

Tom - Here's the closest thing to a jacuzzi I got....instant hot water heater mounts on the exterior and runs on propane.

trailer9-14004800x600.jpg

I'm happy with the way the top rack is turning out.

trailer9-14005800x600.jpg

Tom - Here's the closest thing to a jacuzzi I got....instant hot water heater mounts on the exterior and runs on propane.

trailer9-14004800x600.jpg

I'm happy with the way the top rack is turning out.

trailer9-14005800x600.jpg

Sweet deal!

Were did you get something like that?

I need something like that after a day of drywashing.

Tom

Sweet deal!

Were did you get something like that?

I need something like that after a day of drywashing.

Tom

Got mine at SummitHut a few years ago. You can even get them at WallyWorld now.....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zodi-Instant-Water-Heater-and-Hot-Shower/4698021

Price has come down to. The pump and hose on the one I am installed on the trailer has been changed to an RV on demand pump and 3/8 auto heater hose. When you run the water in a cycle it can get really hot and melt the hose the heater comes with....no more hot shower then :(

Almost done now.....just the finishing touches left. What do you think of the paint? We call it ClaimJumper Camo......

Almostdonetrailer0092800x600.jpg

Camo??? nooooo....I said Camelion paint!!!

How are you going to find it?

Very nice build. You can certainly be proud of it and enjoy it

after all the work you've done.

Thats the best part, building something and using it....knowing you saved money got the creative juices flowing, and made it yourself.

Ive got some thoughts going on now after last weekend to make a rake for the back of my 4runner....drag off a lot of the overburden prior to drywashing.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

At last we got it out in the woods and went Nuggethunting with the trailer finished. Really enjoyed it and we meant a couple of other gold hunters too. I was really happy to see the solar panels putting more in the batteries then the led lights and water pump are taking out daily.

post-32973-0-32708300-1318214916_thumb.j

post-32973-0-70164400-1318214977_thumb.j

At last we got it out in the woods and went Nuggethunting with the trailer finished. Really enjoyed it and we meant a couple of other gold hunters too. I was really happy to see the solar panels putting more in the batteries then the led lights and water pump are taking out daily.

Holy cow....youve got a really nice rig there!

Glad you got out and used it...figure your gonna make a few mods after using it?? :) I know im always dreaming up new things to add. :)

Great job on the build and thanks for posting your progress.

Tom H.

Archived