Please listen

This is a bit off the topic of the thread - hope it's ok...I will start a new thread if need be.

It sure seems on the surface of it that MineLab could put together a GPX5000

in a housing a touch larger than the size of their current battery,

unless perhaps some empty space around the boards is necessary for cooling or whatever,

This is not a complaint per se - I would use the machine if it weighed more than it does.

it would be interesting to learn why they have not pared down the weight and the bulk.

Does anyone know if there is a reason for the box size?

Ol' dutch john.. :) Thanks uncle Ron...Merry Chrismas to You and All; and all the dyslexics out there. Gem Guides are carrying my books; also Chris Ralphs Fists full of Gold.

And My Best to All of us who have served in the military to keep our country free.

And, yep Flak; big bulky detectors can be miniturized. But

as an example, you can buy a big, bulky and visible detector in a box for less than the miniturized $4000 USA hearing aid (Made in Germany) I wear in my right ear and constantly fear of losing.

Steve - I know what you mean. You mention the DFX, but the problem there is gain. I think the Eureka is also underpowered when it comes to sufficient gain to properly do the job. Of course it's not that simple as jacking up the gain causes some other very real problems.

We need a user selectable, digital, multi-frequency machine, with the gain sufficient to find very tiny gold like the GBII. The problem is that doing a digital GBII isn't going to be easy. We've talked about that – in my interview with him Dave admitted it would be "difficult". I got the drift that he was more optimistic about multi frequency machines. I just don't want a multi-frequency machine that runs at medium and lower - 18 and 4 kHz. Without the upper frequency stuff like the GBII or the Goldmasters, it's not what I am looking for.

I honestly think we could all come to a pretty close agreement on what we'd be looking for in a top flight VLF detector that was within the reaches of current technologies. The problem is that the makers produce what they think will sell well, not cost too much to make and is not too difficult to design. You are right that none of them listen too closely to what their customers want to buy. Perhaps we need to speak louder and let our requests be known to all of them?

Here is what I think is a reasonable list of features, all of which are found in one form or another on VLF machines currently on the market, just no one machine with all of them. Why can't they be combined? I'd be interested in comments on what realistic additions would be necessary to make a top of the line, cutting edge VLF for prospecting?

Multi-frequency with user selectable High (60 to 90 kHz) and medium frequency (15 to 20 kHz).

Dual frequency operation option.

Gain sufficient to find very small gold in the high frequency setting (must at least equal the GBII).

Ability to discriminate out hot rocks.

Ability to handle fairly highly mineralized ground – even if only in a special discrimination mode.

Ability to notch out not only any target types but also multiple ground types, so the operator can notch out the ground and also notch out a certain hot rocks. In other words, more than one ground balance setting.

Memory to save notch and discrimination settings for various locations.

Digital design with a controlled volume output, maximum signal loudness limitations, threshold loudness control, variable audio tone, adjustable gain.

Both manual and automatic ground balance adjustments.

Tracking mode option.

Digital display of GB, GB settings and target response.

Selection of different sizes of coils in both concentric and DD configurations.

EMI noise reduction adjustments.

The other thing is that everyone is now making the same thing - mid range htz, "do it all" machines powerful enough to do a decent job on gold but with a sufficient discrimination to use for jewelry and coin shooting. The problem is that "do it all" machines by nature must make compromises. We have the MXT, Tesoro Lobo, T2, GB Pro, F75, AT Gold, XTerra 705, etc. - it's too much of the same thing over and over slightly re-done and re-packaged. Yes, each model has its own subtle differences, but they are all in the same design class. The manufacturers have figured out these are popular detectors (and my guess is that they are not that difficult for a good EE to design), but how many similar ones do we need? Half ton pick-ups have long been the best selling vehicle in America, but what if the only car any of the manufacturers made was a half-ton pick up, it would be a pretty sorry situation.

We've all heard the saying "Build a better mousetrap wand the world will beat a path to your door" – We just seem to be stuck in "build a mousetrap like everyone else and you can keep your head above water."

Steve, you have a great holidays, say hello to the family and get some sleep my friend. 4 am is a little late to be up posting on forums. :lol:

Hey Chris ... I just learned that APPLE is coming out with a Smart I-Phone App called Minelab GPX 5500 ... $5.00 plus coil adapter :lol::lol::lol: ... Coming soon ... Cheers, Unc

Hey Chris ... I just learned that APPLE is coming out with a Smart I-Phone App called Minelab GPX 5500 ... $5.00 plus coil adapter :lol::lol::lol: ... Coming soon ... Cheers, Unc

That was a good one Ron, biggrin.gif Jim I still pick up your books and read them over and over again, don't want to miss anything.

They are a great read and loaded with prospecting info. Take care guys, AzNuggetBob

• 3 months later...

How about using the MXT as a base for a better prospecting detector, adding a 75khz or higher freq setting, perhaps a notch system for hot rocks. The MXT already has a lot of coils available to use for different type hunting. It also seems to have plenty of power, both audio and sensitivity. Probably not so easy as it may seem to build, maybe the added 75khz setting would require different coils to use with it. I know I really like the user interface with knobs versus menus to wade thru. Just a thought anyway.

Archived