Can the Minelab GPX 5000 find small gold?

• Admin

Hello All,

One of the forum members asked about the sensitivity on the GPX 5000 and if it can find small gold. Here are a few pictures of some small gold nuggets I picked up early this year here in Arizona. The average piece of gold on the gold scale is 2.21 grains each. There are 480 grains to 1 troy ounce of gold.

The GPX 5000 with small monoloop searchcoils can pick up nuggets well under a grain in size.

All the nuggets displayed in the pictures were found by the admin (me) using the Minelab GPX 5000 & 14-inch Coiltek "Blitz" Mono coil.

smallgold01.jpg

smallgold02.jpg

Hope you enjoyed. If anyone has questions about the Minelab GPX 5000, don't hesitate to post questions here on the forums. If you would like to email or call us, please do that also. We will gladly give you the best advice possible on all Minelab metal detectors.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob,

I used the 5k all season last year with crazy results on pieces weighing a couple grains. It is by far a step up from the outstanding 4500 The 5000 will keep you breaking the bedrock apart for those little match head size pieces deep in the cracks. While in mellow ground the gb2 is still the champ on fines the 5000 blows it out of the water in iron infested bedrock especially if you use the proper coil (Joey+Fine Gold) Although i am wanting to try the new NF baby coil against my old beat Joey AKA Money Maker.

Justin

• Admin

Hey Justin,

Have to agree with you that the GB2 on very low mineralization is a killer and also on exposed bedrock that is not too mineralized. However, when it comes to mineralization, hot rocks and volcanics, it only takes an inch or so of this material to mask a nugget from being found with a GB2. This is where the major advantage of the Minelab PI's comes in (mineral immunity and depth).

As for those coils, the Joey has always been a winner!! The new NF 8x6 is also very hot on small gold. For small coils, I know have a Joey DD and the NF 8x6. I use the Joey DD in areas with more hotrocks or abundance of black sands and the NF 8x6 are lesser mineralized areas.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello Flak,

I agree with you 100% on that, but if I said that being a dealer, then I'm just trying to promote. There is always someone trying to tear you down, so I know if I posted my smallest nuggets, even though I know and others are doing the same, some will call BS on it.

With smaller coils on the GPX 5000, nuggets under a grain are being found all the time. I have hundreds of them still in my collection, but they might only weight around 2 ounces for all of them.

Post a picture of them when you get a chance.

Rob Allison

• 5 years later...
  • Admin

Hey Moe,

I mostly used the Special - Sensitive/Extra timing for small gold.  I liked this timing better than "Fine Gold" for small gold.  The Fine Gold did well in high mineralization. 

I also recommend the Nugget Finder 8x6 Sadie Elliptical Searchcoil for small gold.  The nuggets above were found with the CT Blitz 14x9, another great coil, but older now. 

21 hours ago, nuggethunting said:

Hey Moe,

I mostly used the Special - Sensitive/Extra timing for small gold.  I liked this timing better than "Fine Gold" for small gold.  The Fine Gold did well in high mineralization. 

I also recommend the Nugget Finder 8x6 Sadie Elliptical Searchcoil for small gold.  The nuggets above were found with the CT Blitz 14x9, another great coil, but older now. 

Just ordered that sadie off the eBay store

• 8 months later...
  • Admin

Hey Guys,

Both the GPX 4500 and 5000 can find really small gold with the NF Sadie.  Right now, personally, I think the best detector deal is the GPX 4500 for $2699.00.  This deal will end soon, as I believe they may be discontining it for good. You equip the 4500 with a small coil like the NF 8x6 Mono and you're off finding tiny gold and still have the mineral immunity of the PI and good depth.  For under $3k you can have a great set up to chase gold for the next 10 years or so.  

Just my thoughts,

• Like 3