New Member, but committed to Prospecting

Spent a few hours @ Anne's Beach South of Isla Morada trying to work the what little beach there is - had a difficult time canceling out EMI as well as getting a good ground balance, there is so much trash there it was astounding.

I picked up a huge hot spot on the 180 sweep to cancel EMI, it worked well, but getting proper ground balance was extremely difficult as there were targets everywhere, decided to balance in closer to parking lot and it helped but the sheer noise everywhere was a bit daunting. Dug up all sorts of garbage.

I left the Factory Default settings intentionally, next I will use the "Coin/Relic" for lightly mineralized soils as the Salt-Gold timings are for mineralized soils of which Florida Beaches are not. I am going to tweak the Iron rejection as well to see how far is out of bounds… The "Black Sands" people claim to find are really tar, there is a bunch of it in many spots and it can be quite messy.

The tide was in so there was a fair amount of water near the high tide lines, it did not affect the detector to the extent I had thought it might, so I was impressed as to how well it handles salt.

Spending time in our yard with a few gold & silver targets to practice instead.

The Keys beaches are frankly non-existent and the little sand that is there is packed so tight it requires a good deal of effort to dig.

Had fun and learned a good deal - keep the 5000 dry, which in turn limits the chances of success in this environment as the best area appears to be the very shallow water at low tide, both below and above this line is where things seem to collect.

Hope this helps anyone hitting the beach anytime soon, up to MIami next for a day of tweaking on preset targets and then some more practice beeping.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob,

I believe the 8x6 Nugget finder coil is water resistant to 2 feet, but not waterproof or submersible… at least this is my understanding, I am a bit concerned working the low tide zone in heavier surf, so would you please suggest a waterproof & submersible coil for the 5000.

Thanks~!

A good friend and my attorney has large mines in California and Nicaragua, both with tailings piled up high. We spoke briefly about it this afternoon and began to wonder what might come of it. His wife's family was deeply rooted in mining in Guatemala and Nicaragua during the United Fruits days… there might be potential there~!

We will see what develops there.

• Admin

Hey John,

The best all around waterproof coil is the Coiltek Platypus 12x8 elliptical searchcoil (comes in Mono or DD Pro). This coil is 100% waterproof and the most popular waterproof coil I sell.

A customer about 2 weeks ago purchased a Minelab GPX 5000 with a Platypus coil in the customized bundle. He is kicking butt on several beaches in Florida, several high dollar gold and silver coins so far. Said he has paid for the detector with several recent coins at depth, but were under about 2 foot of water and it was a bugger to dig them.

Rob,

Fair enough, that confirms it, ordering a Coiltek Platypus 12x8 in Mono now @ your online store.

Payment was sent through PayPal Rob, for whatever reason the online store could not resolve our credit card address, which is correct.

Looking forward to trying one out.

I saw a person with a small trolling motor blowing sand inshore. probably to cut down on that bugger digging~!

Hopefully, both humor and levity are part of prospecting for one and all Bob. My days of blazing chronic are well behind for the most part.

Looked over Weaver Mining District site, congratulations on your new office.

Had a few questions: Is $50 Membership required for any of the below -

1. How much does WMD pay for Gold presently and what is your spread on Bid:Ask?

2. What equipment do you have for sale?

3. What is the price of an average claim you advertise on WMD?

4. Is there any more recent data on productivity from any of these claims sold?

According to Govtracks - HR 4402 is basically drifting in the wind, should it eventually become law in another Bill of close form, how would it specifically affect your mining district?

Will be passing through AZ this spring and try to visit WMD.

Hopefully, both humor and levity are part of prospecting for one and all Bob. My days of blazing chronic are well behind for the most part.

Looked over Weaver Mining District site, congratulations on your new office.

Had a few questions: Is $50 Membership required for any of the below -

1. How much does WMD pay for Gold presently and what is your spread on Bid:Ask?

2. What equipment do you have for sale?

3. What is the price of an average claim you advertise on WMD?

4. Is there any more recent data on productivity from any of these claims sold?

According to Govtracks - HR 4402 is basically drifting in the wind, should it eventually become law in another Bill of close form, how would it specifically affect your mining district?

Will be passing through AZ this spring and try to visit WMD.

johnmac

to be clear.

I dont own Weaver Mining District and I dont work for them, but I am a member and I will say I've found gold on most of their claims and have seen many other members find gold on them too..

If you call them at the number listed on their website (live link below) I'm sure they would be happy to answer all your questions.

AzNuggetBob

Finally found the 4x4 which will lug all my stuff, not ideal but good enuf for now. Bought it on the spot, there is a complete history of maintenance and 116K miles to accompany it. Very pleased with my purchase and am looking forward to loading it up and hitting I10 in a month or less.

post-51870-0-85240900-1362102276_thumb.p

After much research finally figured out to use the LR2000 with MTRS. So now I will be to use KMZ files with Google Earth and pin GPS Coordinates with Babel.FE, bluetooth everything to both Garmin's as well as the MacBookPro - then import all data into a slick little Filemaker Datebase which I have set up to store all data.

Am excited to hit it in April, anyone looking for a fellow prospector to tag team this Summer, let me know~!

Going to base up near Twin Falls when it warms up.