Garrett ATX vs. Minelab GPX 5000 depth claims

• Admin

Hello All,

Over the last week I have received two emails about the depth claims on the Garrett ATX and the Minelab GPX 5000. First, I would like to say these detectors are leagues apart. The Garrett ATX wasn't built to perform like a GPX. I own both detectors and also sell both detectors, which are selling well.

That being said, I have been very hesitate to post any claims on depth tests between the two, which I have done extensively. I recently conducted a test with several ATX owners, several GPX owners and a few Independent Observers. There was no question when it comes to nuggets at depth (various sizes), the GPX 5000 won every time. As the nuggets got larger, the depth difference got even greater.

Here are some high points on both detectors -

Garrett ATX -

• Price is $2,120.75 (perfect for anyone wanting a mid-line PI)
  • Basic MPS Technology
  • Waterproof Metal Detector
  • Can break down and be packed in
  • Option of several additional coils
  • Made in the USA
  • Easy of operation, very user friendly
  • Operates on AA batteries
  • Warranty is 2 Years

Minelab GPX 5000 -

• Price is $5,795.00 (much higher)
  • Advanced Technologies - MPS, DVT and SETA
  • Most Powerful handheld PI metal detector for gold nugget hunting
  • Will achieve the the most mineral immunity and depth
  • 8 Timing Options, like having 8 metal detectors in 1
  • The most options for searchcoils and accessories (Minelab, Coiltek, Nuggetfinder, PulseMate, Goldscreamer and more ....)
  • Warranty is 3 Years

I would hope that anyone selling either of these detectors are being ethical and telling the absolute truth about their performance (pro's and con's). Both detectors are great for what they do and I personally own both of them.

Thanks for listening.

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

Over the years people have moved up the ladder, so to speak, getting newer Minelab models. The only reason is to get better performance. The ATX is an excellent detector, no doubt about it, but I do not see it as the next step up. But pretty tough call, given the huge price difference between the two. The whole reason I own a GPX is to hit bigger nuggets deeper and it will hit the big gold deeper than an ATX. Ultimately people have to ask themselves how much that extra couple inches is worth to them.

For me having both it is boiling down to GPX for use out of water and ATX in water.

• Admin

Hey Steve,

Just a quick update, we conducted a series of tests with the GPX 5000 in the "factory default" settings and 11-inch DD vs. the Garrett ATX. We cranked the ATX up to max sensitivity, and the GPX still got better results, but not huge. That being said, once we went out of default settings on the GPX and started using different timings, increasing gain, various audio settings and such, the Gains really shined for the GPX.

When we used the 11-inch Mono, we increased depth on some targets as much as 3-6 inches.

Both detectors are great, but in my opinion, the GPX is far more superior for the serious nugget shooters on small and large gold nuggets.

I like your honesty Rob. That's one of the reasons why Im here. Over in my part of the world, especially in Victoria, all the goldfields are easily accessible. With that being the case all the areas have been pretty hard hit over the years with all sorts of detectors. Now and then you can get a bit or two that is within range of even a VLF, but that's not that often and more than likely it will be a real small bit. Its been ages and ages since I heard of a VLF get a decent bit of gold here. Most of the decent gold found now is the fringe type, just signals or soft signals just within range. 80+% of the gold I find is that type. And of that, all my better bits have been just whispers on the 5000, running it as hard as the ground permits me to. Yeah now and then, once or twice a year you hear of a bit that was a boomer only a few inches deep, so they are still out there somewhere like that, but I have not myself found a boomer for a couple of years. To be in front you gotta have a Minelab PI in my neck of the woods. And it being of the GPX family further enhances that.

You make a good point Roo about pounded locations, which are getting to be the norm. I more than most tend to be in places where my coil is the first over the ground. But most people are hitting places that have seen hundreds if not thousands of detectors. I know the month I spent in Australia all we did was go crumbing on old patches, and were it not for running a GPX 5000 I would have come home with next to no gold. It was nearly all tuned to the max whisper faint targets.

For what it is worth I have both the ATX and GPX 5000 and when I go prospecting this year I will be swinging the GPX most of the time, though I will use the ATX also just to learn more about it. Even if they were identical in performance I would prefer to use the GPX due to the superior selection of easy to change coils, better weight and balance, longer battery life, etc.

Geese don't even go there. the Minelab GPX 5000 is so programmable to compensate for so many different ground conditions the ATX doesn't stand a chance. What I want to see is comparison between the SDC2300 and The ATX. :) AzNuggetBob

We all know that any person who buys a GPX detector from Rob will get a great package and a days training with it. Chris offers about the same with a days training also. There is another dealer name Gerry that gives three days training with then sale of a GPX and for some this may be the best. Whatever a dealer offers it's time and money out of his pocket.

I know for myself I wanted the ATX to be more inline with the GPX 5000. In the real world I know that was not to be. It's just I can buy the ATX quicker than I can come up with the money for the GPX. We all know that Minelab won't let their dealers lower the price on a GPX. Lucky we have people like Rob,Chris and Gerry that want to help us in anyway they can and willing to cut in their profit to do this.

If Minelab would cut back on profit for dealers this would put more GPX's in peoples hands. Yes I know that would cut out the goodies. The thing is we can buy lower cost items one at a time as we need it. What's best ??

I've seen Minelab's ad that they offer more profit on their detectors for dealers. With all said I don't think Minelab is willing to change.

Yes the ATX and SDC2300 is a mid-range detector but only time will tell what's better.

Chuck

• Admin

Hey Roo and all,

I try to be honest in my findings & testing on various metal detectors. I sell them all pretty much, so I just shoot customers straight. I won't oversell to a customer, nor under sale once I know truly what they are trying to achieve. I'm not a big fan of anyone trying to sell someone any product and it can't do what they claimed. This is nothing new, as there are many salesmen that are more worried about the dollar than the integrity.

No question the GPX is King, but should be for the price and technology you're buying. I don't think anyone is questioning that. It more so that some seem to believe they can buy lesser expensive equipment, thousands of dollars less and believe it's going to perform the same as a $6000 detector.

The Garrett is a great detector for what it does. I can't keep them in stock, I just got another large batch of them in, half are gone already and they just arrived. I'm sure by the time people see this post the rest of them will be gone also.

It will be interesting to see what the SDC 2300 can bring to the table. I'm hoping to have a test unit soon and will report my findings on that unit.

Thanks for all the comments. Hope to hear from more of you.

Rob Allison

Rob I always had respect on what you said but do you always have to be right.HaHa You wouldn't be you if said more about a detector than it really was.

Well I'm waiting to hear from you on the ATX vs SDC2300. Maybe the price will be like some in the past of this new Minelab say 2300.00. Sounds good to me.

Chuck

You gotta feel sorry for the poor guys you run into out detecting, iv met a few, who have a machine that is nowhere near a Minelab PI and yet they were told it was by the salesman. There's one here in Aus who makes me wonder how he sleeps at night with what he tells people and advertises. Spose he sleeps with the wads of dollars he ripped off people under his pillow! :angry2:

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I go out just about every weekend training customers, doing field instructions or prospecting myself. If anyone wants to see a full blown demo on both detectors, I'm more than willing to let you see what I know about them and allow you to make your own judgement call. They are both great detectors, but when it comes to nasty mineralization and depth on larger nuggets, no questions the GPX has the upper edge by a good amount in my opinion. Like I said, I sell both, own both and struggle keeping both in stock. There is a huge market for both detectors, just depends on what your true detector needs are.

No Smoke and Mirrors, Snake Oil or whatever, it's the real deal my friends. Come see if you have any doubts.

My door is always open ..... :)

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your comments. I get customers all the time on edge on what to purchase, VLF and PI's. I tell them when I'm in the field doing field instructions or training, they are more than willing to join to see a demo of a certain detector. This will allow them to get a better idea and understanding on what they might purchase. I actually done this last month, had 3 potential ATX/GPX customers. After the demo, two guys decided to make the GPX purchased with our bundle package and the other guy went with the ATX as he needed the waterproof ability. All customers were happy with their purchase and field training that was conduced at a later date.

I'm going to be running the Minelab booth this weekend in Quartzsite, Arizona. I'm more than willing to talk about detectors or whatever if you make it out that way.