Just got a Detech 15x10 Mono coil..

So I have been hearing some good news about these Detech coils made in Bulgaria from some Aussie guys. So I purchased one and took it out the other day. I am pretty impressed by how it performed on my Minelab 4500. After using Coiltek, Commander and Nuggetfinder coils for a while I had to see if these work just as well. I went to a site I have beaten to DEATH with all the coils above for months. Pretty much..my feeling is a KILLED this spot. So I took the Detech coil out to see what turns up. First it's light as its a open coil, the second these are all water proof. After auto-tune and my settings I first noticed my threshold was extremely stable and was impressed with hardly any falsing when bumped on rocks and things. I was able to scrap the ground and grass with no noticeable falsing. I managed to pick up on some trash, some of it did not even register on my digital scale. Next week I am gona take the 12.5 DD out to see how well it performs and see it's discrimination abilities. post-65703-0-48305800-1396146155_thumb.j

Overall I am very happy with this coil, I know it performed as well if not better than the others. It was more stable and appeared it was not affected by EMI...I am going to be adding more of these to my coil collection in the near future.

• Admin

Hey Relichunter,

Great to hear that it worked great. I heard of them, but don't know anyone here that is using one, at least yet. Most of the larger Coiltek and NF coils are all Mono's. Minelab is the only one still making a 15x12 DD and 18-inch Round DD in the Commander series. However, they are extremely heavy to swing without the use of a bungee or bungee type system.

Looks like it might be a lighter DD. How is pricing vs other manufactures on the market today?

Rob, it appears according to there web site that they are averaging 75 bucks lower than the others. I would guess it's because labor costs are lower in Bulgaria. I am all for competition and if the product works and works well and a lower cost...I am all over it. I have my fair share of NF, commander and a few Coiltek and I have to admit like most of us..those are good coils. What caught my attention was its cost ratio to performance to other brands. The draw back may be having to deal with longer waits if a coil malfunctions and to receive a new one. But at the cost and performance I experienced it's worth the wait. Next Monday or Tuesday i I a m taking out the 12.5 dd round to see how well it will perform and it's discrimination abilities at dept...I will let you know how that coil works out. The Aussie guys say the 15x8 Mono and the new 15x10 is very popular..but alot of the guys are stickin to Aussie made coils...brand loyalty I respect but I do like to try them all out...a small edge may mean a difference of finding a nugg at the end of the day or not. This was my only test, so more days ahead with Detech coils..to see how well they do, I will update as I test more out in the coming weeks.

I know quite a few people here in Aus using them. No complaints from them, all happy enough. Cheaper too. Quite a few using them on the prospecting 4umer site and doing ok. Im not plugging them as I don't even own one but guys I know do. No brand loyalty in Aus, if it works good it doesn't matter who makes it, we buy it.

Hey Roo, I took out the Detech 12.5 dd round yesterday and found it just as good as the others. Its a solid coil found it a little heavier, I prefer the open coil design but it was stable, punched deep and in disc. mode it seemed accurate on deeper targets. I am not plugging one or the other , just a simple observation of a coil I would use. It won't stop me from buying other brands,I am a "Coil Hog" the more I own, the harder it is to choose which one I am taking out that day....lol :blink: . But options are nice to have.....especially at a savings.

I have been using Detech coils for yrs on my mxt's coin/jewelry hunting, a little 5" round dd, and a 8x6 sef, super coils, they love gold jewelry, for my GPX I recently ordered a 15x8 mono Detech to try out, will be using it in Nevada soon. I also have and use several Coiltek coils for my gpx and like them. I think its good to have a wide variety of coils for various hunting conditions one may encounter.

• 6 years later...