A new coin detector comes on the market and very little is said.

Now you let a new gold detector hit the market and all hell breaks loose.

I know myself the SDC 23000 falls over. It didn't come with a stand. Another is not happy with the headphone plug. Then someone is talking about a mod they think it would make it better and this covers all gold detectors I seen a mod on the arm rest and the list of things wrong with a gold detector has no end.

Maybe nugget hunters are just harder to please than coin hunters! This like coils than come with the detector is not as good as the one we buy extra Oh all the extra things you can buy with that new gold detector that we'd like to see come with it.

Chuck Anders

A new coin detector comes on the market and very little is said.

Now you let a new gold detector hit the market and all hell breaks loose.

I know myself the SDC 23000 falls over. It didn't come with a stand. Another is not happy with the headphone plug. Then someone is talking about a mod they think it would make it better and this covers all gold detectors I seen a mod on the arm rest and the list of things wrong with a gold detector has no end.

Maybe nugget hunters are just harder to please than coin hunters! This like coils than come with the detector is not as good as the one we buy extra Oh all the extra things you can buy with that new gold detector that we'd like to see come with it.

Chuck Anders

You don't see many people talking about coin, relic, and jewelry detectors on most gold forums, but I can assure you they do get talked about, the good attributes and the bad attributes on most regular metal detecting forums, and most who use their detectors a lot do have an assortment of different coils to use on those detectors depending on soil conditions, types of targets in the ground, etc., both from the original manufacturer and also aftermarket coils and or accessories.

Gold Seeker

I guess that's the way it. Some people wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope. I'm one of them being I've got more gold detectors than I ever had as a coin hunter. I can't throw rocks at others without hitting my self.

Like Rob said is why detector companies leave the door open for others to cut in on the market when they could sell the same product.

Chuck Anders

PS Just maybe they think they made the perfect detector !

Actually coin hunters are even crazier than nugget hunters and that is saying a lot. Read this thread to completion if you want to really see something. And by the way, the guy that goes by "woof!" on the thread is none other than Dave Johnson, the guy behind the Gold Bugs, Lobo, MXTs, GMT, and a host of other top notch detectors http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fisher-research-labs/294968-why-cz3d-so-expensive.html

The reason detector companies do not do everything is the same as why when you buy a car the tires are made by somebody else. Do what you are best at and let others do what they are best at. The manufacturers like people to make accessories for their machines.

Hey Chuck,

It has always puzzled me why some manufactures leave the door open for other companies to make so many products they could make themselves and sell well. For example, control box covers, signal enhancers, better headphones, more searchcoils and more.

I think that if Minelab ever made open spoked light weight coils they would dominate big time ! :)

Most manufacturers consider making coils to be a necessary evil. However, I am the rare soul who believes the best coils made for most detectors are made by the manufacturers. There are certainly good aftermarket coils but the fact is some coils are tuned to the detector they leave the factory with. A Gold Bug 2 is tuned to the coil it comes with and even another identical coil from Fisher may not be quite the same.

i started detecting you buy the detector and it came with a large coil. You founded out right away that a coil about 6 inches was a good size to hunt in a trash area.

The first of my detectors was a White's BFO and then came white's 66 TR. If you looked inside the big metal box you seen you had more box than electronics. Now with the TR you just knew you had the power and force you ever had before to reach beyond any coin could be lost. That bull didn't last long and you found out that was a big joke on you.

Oh when the White's Eagle 11 came out I was saying the same thing again and I must say that was the last coin detector I've put money out for. Around the same time I got the fever for nugget hunting and I was doing that as could.

I'm like Steve I like coils made by detectors companies and take a coil that is tuned by Mfg. to that detector makes it even better.

With so many companies making coils now if it's tuned within ballpark levels it's good.

Oh well that's the cost of having everything we want now if not yesterday!

Chuck Anders

Ha, I never knew that about Fisher. How good is that, tuning the coil to the individual detector!

Most detectors it does not matter, but something as hot as a GB2 it does. It is possible to send a Bug in with a new coil to get it retuned but I do not know what it costs these days.

I believe most Tesoro detectors have factory tuned coils and they also will retune a detector for a customer. But as we get more and more of these digital stamped out on the assembly line detectors those days are passing.

Hey Chuck... HowYa' been? It's been a couple of years or more since the TDI forum hit the dust.

Everyone... my guess: The days of the analog detector are numbered... the digital-type are now the

new-guys. Likely the analog Goldbug 2 will soon be history.

Tailgate Jim Straight

Im amazed how long the Bug 2 has been available for. I might be wrong but didn't it come out around the same time as the old grandpa SD2000, or maybe the 2100?

Guess it shows how good it was and still is huh! I heard, here I think it was, Fisher was working on a PI for gold, that would be interesting to see.

Hey Jim

How have you been doing ? A lot of the detectors we know now will be like us and you call it history. The thing with you Jim is you've made lots of people prospectors that wouldn't have been if not for you and the books you've written. I don't care who they are your books made them a better person in the field than before.

The TDI Pro is still making it's way with Reg and others adding Mod to them. Even the TDI SL is finding it's way into nugget hunters that can't afford the high dollar detectors. The thing is Jim if you want to play the game you don't have to pay the big bucks to do it.

Remember you may be at a lower limit on what you find to the high end detector but less investment out of pocket.

Jim it's always good to hear from you and one day just maybe we'll meet.

The Best!

Chuck Anders.