what are you missing gpz

I have been  using the GPZ 7000 since it first came out. Today I confirmed , at least in my mind, you can miss gold if you are not in the right mode. I used Difficulty in a  black sand iron rock mineralized area. Didn't get a thing. I switched to Normal and ran 20 sensitivity like I always do and went back to finding gold. I have been using sensitive 20 and normal for a few months and  even though  it  is hard to use I don't  back off much. I suspected difficult was losing gold all along and now I know it even in terrible ground. You can back off the gain and still get the gold but I tried several targets in Difficult and did not hear a thing.

This is just to keep people informed that may not know about running between these two choices and what I believe. I tested this several times .  I am a Gold Bug 2 user so I am used to noisy thresholds so I am comfortable listening to an erratic detector. Some people choose to run real stable , but I am not one to do so.

IMG_2459.JPG

We sure do leave gold behind using Difficult, no doubt about it.

If I start getting the "he haws" from the ground I will always go into Extra Deep while remaing in Normal before ever considering using Difficult.

Most of the gold pictured below was taken off a small pounded area one weekend using Extra Deep / Normal.

The GPX moaned and groaned on this ground too, and I believe that's why so much gold was still there, previous people had gone into Enhance, Smooth, or Salt to tame it giving similar results to the Z in Difficult. 

What is more, all those pesky little bird shot don't register (except iron ones) on Extra, and it makes an excellent patch hunting timing as you don't need to be so particular with coil swing speed and attitude. 

I think many are scared to use this timing thinking you will loose gold, well I reckon you'll lose a lot more in Difficult.

Extra can turn annoying noisy ground into a pleasure to hunt. I seek out this ground now since a lot of nice gold still remains in it.

27310580241_8121e94316_b.jpg

I also have learned to slow down my swing and never scrub with the coil. I figured out that these machines are very sensitive to movement. I have heard that the inside of these coils are somewhat suspended. This is like shocks on a car. That make them more sensitive to movement. Using this type of shielding in the coil also allows the send and recive of the wire more sensitive and able to produce a signal at depth. Just heard that. Didn't really look for myself yet. 

• 1 month later...

Interesting machine. It seems as though as the ground gets more dry and harder the 7000 wants to punch deeper. Rehunting twice in a patch and the moisture has dropped from about 30% to 15% now it's around 5% and holy smokes this thing is hot. And yes it's hard time to dig in this stuff. But well worth it!

• 3 weeks later...

GPZ can be amazingly quiet if settings are played with. The key I found ... for example ... is that the sensitivity doesn't need to be exceedingly high ... most of the time I am in and around 6. And yes I know that goes contrary to a couple of other folks more experienced than I but I don't believe I am leaving anything behind ... looking forward to cooler weather to gather up some more yellow!

Mike F

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be able to focus better with a quiet threshold. I know when you get a good target it's supposed to stand out and scream with a noisey threshold like in Normal but the style of hunting I prefer is listening for the whispers. I think I'll miss those in Normal because of the noise. My favorite sound the GPZ makes is when the threshold just barely warbles and stutters a little bit. That's led to some really nice finds for me in Difficult. 

• 1 month later...

I've been having good results in Normal the last few weeks. Been happy with my ground balance. I don't get fooled by ground noise often in Normal but hot rocks will sound off like targets. Just the price to pay with such a hot setting.

Using the iron ferrite ring seems to help with getting a ground balance and I believe the longer you use the GPZ in an area the balance gets better because the machine builds up some type of alorithm based on the ground conditions. 

Ok then.  Thanks for the info.  Normal must be far different than the GPX.  Got tired of reading how great Normal was, only to never be able to ground balance.

Sounds like you run your machine quiet like Bill Southern.  I run my 5000 that way.  But from what I read, though, I am amazed at the small sub .1 gram gold that some are finding in HOT settings with the GPZ.  Seems to be on par with the SDC2300.  I am thinking of doing some experimenting running a little hot on my GPX. 

I would be curious to know for both SMOOTH runners and HOT runners, what the smallest gold found was (and depth)  and the largest gold found (and depth).  I bet they are very similar.

The GPZ is easily on-par with the SDC as far as finding small gold is concerned. I know it will find small stuff even deeper than the SDC because of its larger coil. However the GPZ's coil size can be somewhat of a disadvantage when bedrock hunting because it's hard to stick down down between rocks and narrow crevices. It's also harder to pinpoint with and takes longer to recover small targets with. The SDC definitely has its place and if I had the money I'd have both a GPZ and an SDC. 

Andy i run mine hot and noisy.  my smallest was .028 grams or .4 grains. I was running at sensitivity 17 and difficult with a threshold of 10 and in high yield. The flake/nugget was about 1in deep. 

The deepest was about 16 inches and 1.1 grams. Sensitivity 18 normal threshold 5 high yeild

Biggest 10 grams only a couple inches. Settings didn't matter

It all depends on the ground and emi. I cant run that hot in most areas of the lsd because of both. Bumblebee/ cleator/gold basin and a few others... no problem. Both the small and deep nuggets were in old patches in very mild ground and since I knew there was gold there I was taking my time and checking every faint repeatable signal. Most people like a quiet machine especially if they have a 5k luckily for me I moved up from a noise 3k and gb2 and was used to backround noise. It takes time behind any machine to really learn what to listen for when targets are faint or masked by other sounds. But when you do it can be very rewarding.

I haven't had any problem this year running Normal with Sensitivity at 15 and Audio Smoothing Off in Greaterville this year because it's a fairly mild area with lots of regular dirt and some clay down lower in the gulches.

However when I head up to Rich Hill in a few weeks my settings may have to change. I once dug a target almost a foot down up there just to realize it was some kinda weird blue clay/bedrock that my GPZ was sounding off on. There's a lot more highly mineralized red clay up there and tons of hot rocks. The big radio tower up there and all the planes flying by don't help either. I'll try to keep it in Normal but I may have to put Audio Smoothing on Low. Before I switch back to Difficult I may switch from High Yield to General as others have done to tone the machine down a little. 

I have found that a small piece of ferrite on the shaft just below the  handle takes 90% of the emi and the machine seems to quiet down perfectly.  I just taped a piece to it to try it and blammo.

After that i was in a patch I'd been in ten times with other machines and walked out with a half ounce. All under a half gram and about 14" to 18" deep. Way more production when it's quiet. And using the ferrite ring to balance it is a must. 

That is interesting. Most people don't believe ferrites do much or that if they were helpful, they would already be on there.  But I have seen that Minelab already has one inside the coil on the GPZ.  There was a video showing the inside of the GPZ coil.  Can you show a picture of how you use the ferrite?  This might spark another discussion as I see this topic is a common one.  I've just never heard of anyone having success in adding a ferrite to a GPX or GPZ.  But I wouldn't rule it out.

On 10/14/2016 at 3:57 PM, Tortuga said:

I haven't had any problem this year running Normal with Sensitivity at 15 and Audio Smoothing Off in Greaterville this year because it's a fairly mild area with lots of regular dirt and some clay down lower in the gulches.

However when I head up to Rich Hill in a few weeks my settings may have to change. I once dug a target almost a foot down up there just to realize it was some kinda weird blue clay/bedrock that my GPZ was sounding off on. There's a lot more highly mineralized red clay up there and tons of hot rocks. The big radio tower up there and all the planes flying by don't help either. I'll try to keep it in Normal but I may have to put Audio Smoothing on Low. Before I switch back to Difficult I may switch from High Yield to General as others have done to tone the machine down a little. 

Tortuga, South of Rich Hill a couple miles there's a layer of blue clay that carries a good bit of gold...There was a guy going in with a backhoe and dump truck and filling it with the blue clay...He took it down to Phoenix where he had a processing plant and was pulling out very good amounts of small to fine gold...He did it quite a few times, and may still be doing it ... I tried beeping the blue clay  but nada!  Cheers, Unc

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Years ago there used to be those clamp on "Ferrite" tubes that you clamped around the searchcoil cable.  Some swore by them, others like myself never seen a huge difference in EMI or ground balancing.  That being said, makes me wonder if this is similar to use a Ferrite tube around the cable?