First detector gold for me.

A couple weeks ago a good friend of mine (a member on this forum)  suprised me with a second hand gold bug 2. I talked to Rob for a while on the phone about pin pointers and such, he was very helpful and took the time to get me clued in on the pin pointers.  Long story short, i needed to get out with my new wifey and do some detecting with or without a pinpointer.  Although my first find was with my wife and not with him, I sat back and thanked him under my breath for literally saving my sanity. Below is my first gold find with the gold bug 2. 1.2 grains!. Thank you my friend! You know who you are!

Rob, i greatly appreciate you calling me back. 

20180107_112509.jpg

• Like 3

Great going! :) Congrats on the gold.

Now your hooked.

Might want to leave the wedding ring home.....they dont play will with metal detectors.

Tom H.

6 hours ago, fredm said:

why would you need a pinpointer with a GB2?  It is easy to pinpoint with one...or get the six inch coil for even smaller gold...

fred

Im new, is a small coil stronger for a specific depth? I can see it being useful in small holes or tight spots but general ground coversge will suffer?

Well a pinpointer will really lessen your ground coverage....joking!

Yes a smaller coil reduces coverage but not much depth is lost...you didn't get a gb2 for speed sweeping the hillsides...or you shouldn't have....

On the other hand; if you are going to coin-shoot with a gb2, especially in maintained areas you may need a pinpointer...

back to the GB2...you don't need a smaller coil, it is just better for what the gb2 does best; That is find gold in shallow places....

I don't have the energy to write everything you need to know...read the back pages of this forum, get some books...Rob has them-Jim Straight and Chris Ralph ( Chris is a more modern prospecting book.)

...study, practice and persevere...the hard part is over.

I wear no metal on my hands or wrists and btw the coil will will detect the salt in your hands...buy a sorter form Rob...or use a coil cover like I do...

Rob if my posts are out of line please delete them

• Like 1

All good advice.

I'm confused Fred....   "what is a "sorter"?  Are you meaning a classifier?   And, "or, use a coil cover like I do"   Is that something different than the coil cover he has on his coil?  I must be missing something.....

Salt is not a problem with the GB2

7 hours ago, Knifemaker84 said:

Im new, is a small coil stronger for a specific depth? I can see it being useful in small holes or tight spots but general ground coversge will suffer?

Knifemaker....a small coil will find small stuff at shallow depths. A big coil will find deeper nuggets depending on the density and size of the nugget.  Small coils are nice when your pin pointing/digging small targets. A big coil is a pain when your trying to chase around small stuff.

I use a 13x17EVO  on my 5000 and it does good for me, even on small stuff, It allows me to cover a lot of ground. But, its a pain when I get a small target. Most of the small stuff I hear with the bigger coil a pinpointer wont hear. They are great for bigger nuggets and relic hunting.

Its a trade off. You have to figure out what you want to do in a area and try to take in the best coil/detector for the given area. But, you can always go back with another detector set up differently and try it again.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Lipca;

I use a coil cover for a scoop...I like it better than those big spoons that is in his picture.  Basically, I dry pan the target. If it in the pan it usually stays there...gold will almost always be in the bottom. The coil cover is great for scooping out dirt when you are digging a big, deep hole.

DSC02045.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oldies1955 said:

Knifemaker....a small coil will find small stuff at shallow depths. A big coil will find deeper nuggets depending on the density and size of the nugget.  Small coils are nice when your pin pointing/digging small targets. A big coil is a pain when your trying to chase around small stuff.

I use a 13x17EVO  on my 5000 and it does good for me, even on small stuff, It allows me to cover a lot of ground. But, its a pain when I get a small target. Most of the small stuff I hear with the bigger coil a pinpointer wont hear. They are great for bigger nuggets and relic hunting.

Its a trade off. You have to figure out what you want to do in a area and try to take in the best coil/detector for the given area. But, you can always go back with another detector set up differently and try it again.

Tom H.

Thank you for the insight, i suppose a smaller coil will be a good fit for me for the gold im after. I see the GPZ posts and it is really impresive what people are finding! Im hooked and excited to see what i dig up next!

3 hours ago, fredm said:

Lipca;

I use a coil cover for a scoop...I like it better than those big spoons that is in his picture.  Basically, I dry pan the target. If it in the pan it usually stays there...gold will almost always be in the bottom. The coil cover is great for scooping out dirt when you are digging a big, deep hole.

DSC02045.JPG

Awesome idea! Im guessing this is so you dont have belly in a spoon to deal with.... more of a flat area with sides so you can spread out the material? 

Next time I go I will get some pics...I carry the coil cover (Tesoro or fisher 12") in my side cargo pocket.  The edges are in effect the same as the 90 degree in the bottom of  garret pans...

when I get a target  in the pan I give it a shake, then I grab a handful and test the dirt in the pan, if there I set (not Throw) the stuff in my hand aside,  then I give the coil cover a good shake and pour the floating dirt in my hand...repeat as needed...if the gold is  bigger you will see it in the coil cover and if tiny you will have to continue with the process...at some point use the magnet on your pick to snag any iron...always recheck the dirt in and out of the pan...and the hole you dug....

way easier to show than write...

fred

Edited by fredm
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, fredm said:

Next time I go I will get some pics...I carry the coil cover (Tesoro or fisher 12") in my side cargo pocket.  The edges are in effect the same as the 90 degree in the bottom of  garret pans...

when I get a target  in the pan I give it a shake, then I grab a handful and test the dirt in the pan, if there I set (not Throw) the stuff in my hand aside,  then I give the coil cover a good shake and pour the floating dirt in my hand...repeat as needed...if the gold is  bigger you will see it in the coil cover and if tiny you will have to continue with the process...at some point use the iron on your pick to snag any iron...always recheck the dirt in and out of the pan...and the hole you dug....

way easier to show than write...

fred

I appreciate the help!