2 nugget detector Comparison?

Howdy, new here but i have been on other forums for quite some time. Was wondering if anyone here had ever compared the Whites GM V-sat or GMT to the Minelab Eureka Gold for nuggets? Or even if anyone has any input on the Eureka Gold as a nugget detector?  Thanks

Rod

I've used both a GMT and Eureka (both being vlfs) and side with the GMT, especially with a small coil. Just seems to have an edge with sensitivity, depth, and ground balance. I'm sure you'll hear a lot of different opinions.

For the money, I'd go with a Gold Bug on the vlf side or a used SD 2100 or GP Extreme for nugget hunting on the PI side. I've heard a lot of good things about the Gold Monster too (price range note). 

The vlfs do best in talings piles and smaller, shallow gold on bedrock, the PIs will outshine with ground balance and depth. If you can get a used PI with an 8 inch round mono coil or a Joey coil, you'll also be in good shape for the small stuff. I've found pieces less than 1/10th of a gram with PI units using 8 and 14 inch mono coils. No matter what you decide the detector is only part of the success equation: Operator, experience, location, etc. All of the detectors you mentioned (V-SAT, GMT, and Eureka are proven gold finders). You're doing the right thing by asking questions, don't think you can make a wrong decision in buying any proven gold finder. Once you decide on a unit the fun begins :) Hope this helps.

Thanks Rod, I am looking into a GP 3000 locally as well as the Gold Monster. What i am shooting for is a PI though, either a Whites TDI or Minelab.

Rod

A friend had a TDI, it certainly was a capable gold finding unit and a lightweight machine, tried it out on several occasions. Between the TDI and the 3000, the 3000 would be my choice and that's likely due to the fact that I've used Minelab PIs, etc. for a long time. Last year I sold my GP Extreme for $750 with 4 coils and the lightweight pocket rocket l-ion battery system so there are some dang good deals out there. 

You have any MORE for sale?? haha Their is a GP 3000 locally but he wants $1200 for it with just a 14" coil? Fair price or not?

Edited by Rod K

That's what i thought. I just checked for them on e-bay and there are 2) one for $1000 and one for $1350 BUY NOW with spare battery and external speaker

Sorry, he wants $1200 not $1400.

Edited by Rod K

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I just got back from the 2018 Minelab Dealers Conference that was held here in Arizona.  There was a lot of talk about the new Minelab Equinox series (600 and 800) and the advancements they have made with Multi-Frequency Technology (Multi-IQ).  They also mentioned about the Service centers, but I forgot to ask about repairing older PI's (SD and GP series).  I think for the most part, the parts are no longer available).  

The price range for a SD or GP can get up to about $1500 if the unit is in fair condition with a few accessories.  I wouldn't pay more than about $1000 for a used SD today, or more than $1500 for a used GP model.  Keep in mind, Minelab units are very reliable and can last a lifetime.  That being said, there is also a small change you could get that one bad one, where you turn it ON and it burns up.