THE BEST DAY EVER - Minelab GPZ 7000

Rob, and Scott

Those are some very nice finds.... congrats on your finds. Have you had to dig deep to get to where nugget was ( heavy equipment?) Or just pick and shovel? The sandy area is pretty wet looking...

Congrats...

Dave

Edited by DolanDave

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

A one pound nugget, that was missed by a GPX and just a warble on a GPZ, must have been at some serious depth. Even on end in a crack, because of it’s mass, it had to have been deep to have been just a slight warble. 

From the way it was sitting, it was probably a combo of the edge factor playing against the GPX and the depth, we don't know what coil was being used on the GPX, that would make a difference as well.

They've not answered my questions about if he would have continued digging it if his 5 hadn't broke but something that huge must have been a screamer on either machine.

• Admin

Hello All,

I'm not going to get into why didn't one detector hear it, must of been something wrong .... but the GPZ did.  We all know, at least anyone with a GPZ, there is a major depth advantage.  That being said, why would there be any doubt a GPZ could detect a nugget of this size deeper, regardless if that extra depth was an inch or 12 inches.  Afriscot and I have talked about it, the GPX just missed it with the NF EVO coil.  If the GPX 5000 had a bigger NF EVO could it of found it, maybe, maybe not.  

As for nuggets, larger nuggets are much harder to sell and I agree with GPX Power on this.  There are less people willing to spend several thousand on a gold nugget vs. someone willing to spend a couple hundred.  Selling small gold nuggets from about .25 - 3 Grams sell very well and I can normally get about 5-10% on the smaller gold.  

• Like 4

On 1/30/2018 at 4:25 PM, GPX Power said:

Good luck on that Unc-these days your lucky to get spot most places buy below spot and smaller nuggets sell much easier than 1+ozers :blink:-Cograts Rob :P Mike C...:ph34r:

Takes a while to build a client base for your gold...Spot would be  downright stupid for that collector's item!!! Cheers, Unc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Gents, that's one hell of a way to kick off 2018.

I've noticed one of the strengths of ZVT is its canny ability to see gold sitting on edge in deep basement cracks that other machines and coils completely pass over. 

I don't know if it's the coil geometry, the DOD arrangement, where the juxtaposition of the two RX coils intercept more target response, or just the fact that ZVT is more akin to CW tech such as VLF, but with much more grunt.

If anyone can join the 2lb club it'll be you Rob with your keen hearing, well done.

Cheers & beers to you both.

Kev.   

• Like 2

• Admin

Hey Alchemist and Friends,

I have to agree, the GPZ 7000 sure does well on a much wider range of gold and orientation.  Since the GPZ 7000, I have found that I'm not only finding that sluggy or solid flat gold deeper, but now very crystalline gold and specimen gold that the GPX series and prior struggled with or couldn't hear.  

As for the nugget and value ..... a vendor from the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show that got word of the nugget offer over $25,000 for the nugget unseen.  This offer was pretty much double and they never seen or touched the piece.  I have no doubt, the value could go 3x to the right Arizona collector that wanted a big gold nugget from the historical gold district we found it in.  

That being said, the nugget is no longer in our hands! :o

• Like 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think that was a smart move Rob. Put the money in a CD or something for future use.

Tom H.

Congratulations again Rob!! This story definitely inspures many of us. Im sure more than just myself would love to see more photos of the nugget. Really awesome!

Chris

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 10:41 AM, bsumbdy said:

Congratulations again Rob!! This story definitely inspures many of us. Im sure more than just myself would love to see more photos of the nugget. Really awesome!

Chris

Me too!  We wont consider it bragging. We asked to see more pics :) I know I if I had found it, it would have been the most photographed nugget on earth.

Tom H.

10 hours ago, oldies1955 said:

Me too!  We wont consider it bragging. We asked to see more pics :) I know I if I had found it, it would have been the most photographed nugget on earth.

Tom H.

I would have made a lightbox and done a complete photo shoot for hours..haha

Come on Rob wheres the glamour pics.lol

Edited by Gravelwasher
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...