Specific Gravity Instructions and Excel Spreadsheet

I know everyone and their brother knows how to do Specific Gravity tests, but for the newbies, here is an old You Tube video I did, actually walking myself through the process.  Also, the big bonus is I did an excel spreadsheet that I am happy to share with anyone.  You punch in Dry weight and Wet weight and wham, the grams of gold are figured automatically for you via the mathematical magic of excel equations.

Hey gang, I am including a link to my Dropbox folder where you can find the spreadsheet to do your own Specific Gravity.  As I said all you have to do is enter the Dry weight and wet weight and everything else is done for you automatically.  I have the Excel file in two formats.  .XLS and . XLSX.  Feel welcome to download the one that will work in your version of Excel.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ixhlgic3zbrdy1k/AADZ_azcUvo7ImrL7ufXw4Xfa?dl=0

• Like 2

That was cool, Doc, watching you going through the same mumbly bump stuff I've gone through doing the same procedure ... The big problem I've run into is that the host rock was only partially quartz and the other part was unknown SG ... I hit one pocket that my weighing as you did said I should have had 2.5 OZT+ but when I sent it to a very reputable refiner it came back like 1.5 ozt ... So the big problem is knowing the actual SG of the host rock ...Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

Uncle Ron you are absolutely right.  Sometimes you have some ironstone in there.  But it is just an estimate. It's sort of fun just to see what the numbers say.

Doc