1/2 Ounce Gold Nugget Found with GPZ 7000 - Youtube Video

• Admin

Hello All,

Here is an old video I found back around 2014-15.  I was using the Minelab GPZ 7000 metal detector, working a small ravine where I found many ounces of gold throughout the prior years.  This was one ravine or wash where I always brought the next best detector to give it a whirl.  For at least 10 years, I have been able to return back to this spot and find a few pieces deeper that were missed.   It's a hard spot to work at least with larger coils, as the ravine or wash is loaded with large cobbles.   This particular day using the GPZ 7000, I managed only a few targets, but this one happen to be gold.  It was a faint whisper type target under a large cobble.  I managed to remove the cobble and this is where the video pretty much starts.  The nugget weighed right at 1/2 ounce and was probably 18-20 inches deep.  The ravine or wash needs to be handstacked and then detected.  There is no question, there is probably several ounces of larger nuggets still hiding at depth.  

I have dozens of older videos I haven't uploaded to Youtube.  It's just a matter of time uploading these darn things.  

Hope you enjoyed.  It's out there and "maybe even where you find it!" 

• Like 5

• Admin

Hey Dennis,

Thanks the comment.  I guess people just don't post here anymore .... :(

Yes, the Walco's were awesome.  They W3's were very popular, but that was the Walco Wombat I was using in the video.  It had a longer handle, longer pick point and a bit wider blade.  I almost fell down on it one time on the side of a hill.  It just grazed my rips, tearing the skin off for about 3-4 inches.  If I would have fell directly on it, it could have punched a lung.  Great pick, but sometimes scaring to hike around with.  

Long story short, Walco burned a huge bridge with Doc back in the day.  I couldn't tell you how many I sold, let alone what Doc brought into the US. 

• Sad 1

Nice video nice gold as well ! Haven't had much of a chance to get out lately but I did get out last Saturday and try the 14 inch elite mono coil I got from you . Found a 2.6 gramer. That's pretty good for me. I really like the coil,a little heavy but no falsing and I run it right on rocks.when I get back home I will post a picture of it .Hope to start getting out a little more when I get caught up with work. Maybe I'll have something to post.

stephen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin

Hey Guys,

GDM/PV - I haven't been back to that wash since the GPZ 7000 was first released.  I found that nugget and a smaller one the same trip.  I originally found the location 10-15 years ago working some exposed bedrock about 1/4 mile down creek from where the video was taken.  As you get further up the wash, the more choked the wash becomes with vegetation and large rocks.  The wash need to be dug up, but would probably require either a lot of time handworking it or a small backhoe or excavator.  I'm pretty positive in the deep spots there are some lunkers, but the bedrock from what I know is 3-4 foot deep, maybe more in spots.  

Burro 168 - Thanks for the comment.  Congrats on the 2.6 Grammer, that is a nice nugget.  I would say that nuggets from about 1/4 to 3 Grams are the "beans and bacon" of the nuggets out there, majority.  The larger stuff around 7 Grams (1/4 ounce) or better are much more scarce.  Thanks for the business and you success with the 14" Elite.  Keep us posted on your future finds if you would.  

Take care all. 

• Like 1

Yeah Rob, when I first got into this hobby I wanted a Walco just like the one you had there. I just missed that train as they were no longer available, but lots of guys were using them. Certainly would be a killer to fall on. Glad you didn't get seriously hurt that time. Those pics could certainly end a persons life should they fall and put that spear point through a lung or anyplace in your torso. Dennis

• Like 1

Hey Rob back in the day I had a walco as well it was a good pic but now I have the hermit -nice nugget  ? As far as posting-you need 20+ moderators to sit in while your MIA somewhere-a donation hub and plenty of sheep that talk about the same old $h!+-Build and they shall flock on over and worship you-Ha Ha ? Mike C...:ph34r:

Edited by GPX Power
spelling
  • Haha 2

• Admin

Hey Guys,

IMPDLN - Ya, great picks, but don't fall on them.  A few guys tried to manufacture something very similar, but the quality wasn't the same.  

GPX Power - Ya, I know what you mean.  I don't have any Moderators, don't really believe I or we need them.  I will "NEVER" ask anyone to donate to my forums, as I feel it's a way we all can chat for free and discuss ideas and there is no reason to have to pay for that.  As you know, I don't need anyone to praise me for being a nuggetshooter.  I believe I have been very successful over the years along with really helping others with training and information.  That being said, I'm still learning every year as I spend more and more time in the field.  I don't think anyone will know it all, there is a lot of skill involved, knowledge of your equipment and a good portion is just luck.  I think being the first detectorist on the ground, or over that spot first is the key.  

I'm a firm believe, majority of the gold is shallow in new areas.  

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hey Uncle Ron,

Ya, several guys here in the US tried to replicate the "Walco" brand, but their product in my opinion never really did.  Walco's used a great wood and the craftsmanship was excellent.  Many think they can just make a pick, but  the quality never holds up.  

Bunk makes some great picks we carry, the Burro and the Hermit.   We also stock all the Apex picks.