Working old-Placer workings with the GPZ 7000 - Part 3

9 hours ago, nuggethunting said:

Hey one4gold,

Thanks for the comments.  Ya, we need to get out, sounds like Leaverite won't go ...... :wacko:

Hey Rob,....Let me know,....I'll go with ya!!!!   

Great video's by-the-way,..............I was curious though,..I think :huh: that you sell Pin-pointers in your store, but why don't you use one in your video's??????  It might cut back on the amount of picking in-the-general-nugget-area, as the Pin-pointer would zero-in on the exact spot where those bigger nuggets are.   

I most-always us a Pin-pointer when using a 14" coil,..and it works great even on those small nuggets as well...

That wash must have had a-lot of white-kaleeche-type bedrock in it.  Gary  B)

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the comments.  Yes, I'm sure there is a good amount of smaller gold in those crevices if I drywashed and vacuumed it out.  I might have to do this one day, just to see what is really there.  I don't use a pinpointer much, just more stuff to carry around.  I might start carrying one for this locations though.  

• Admin

Hey Mike,

Ya, over the years i have used a lot of different picks.  The Walco picks were one of my favorites out of Australia, now discontinued.  I used the Apex picks for a long time, good quality.  However, Bunk is a great friend of mine, so I have been selling and using both is smaller Burro Pick and in the Videos was the Hermit pick.  

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Del,

You got one of the last Burro's I had in stock, so Thanks for your business.  The Hermit and Burro picks from Bunk are great prospecting tools.  I'm hoping to get another batch of both in very soon.  They are very well built and Bunk takes care of any issues that the pick might experience beyond normal wear and tear.  

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Adam,

Believe it or not, customers have a wide range of what they want when it comes to prospecting picks.  Myself I like just one magnet and a good lightweight pick around 20-24 inches in length.  However, some really like a ton of magnets on their picks, while others don't want any as they believe some specimens that contain iron and gold could be picked up and discarded.  Over the years of selling a bunch of different picks brands, some of the most popular where the Walco and Hodan brands.  I sold hundreds of both brands, the Hodan were very lightweight, while the Walco picks were moderate weight, but built almost construable.  

The Apex brand is one of only a few brands that are still in business.  They make a bunch of different sizes, magnet choices and they can even customize a pick if needed.  They are a bit pricey, but they back the picks really well.  

I think there is a huge market for Bunk to sell a bunch more picks, but the production has been really slow.  

You need to kick Bunk in his Burro...tell him to get to work!!!

I have his biggest pick- way too much for me these days because I don't move dry-wash piles like I once did.

I have the original  middle size that I cannot wear-out even though it is years old.

If you carry them on your belt you better be careful....

fred

• Admin

Hey Fred,

Yes, I think this goes for all picks that have a large pick point on one end.  I'm not sure if you remember, but Walco had a pick with a huge pick point, probably 2 times the normal size.  A friend and I were hiking up this steep hillside years ago and he slipped off a rock and fell onto the pick point.  I thought for sure he was dead, as he yelled out a loud scream and I seen him quickly grab his side.  The pick tip just missed from going right into him, but it did tear off about 1/16th of an inch of flesh about 3 inches long.  If it was any closer, it would have punctured into him, not telling what would of happen.  We were at least an hour away from the vehicle, so this could have been bad, real Bad!

I recommend if possible on these type of picks to be careful when climbing.  What would be nice is some type of hard plastic or something that could cover the sharp pick end while hiking and it could be removed when you need to use the pick.  

Just a thought,

P.S.  Yes, Bunk need to build me about 20 more of each ..... :)

• Like 1