Good treasure stories?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys had to pay the bills and head to work.

I did go back, often, but only a couple of dinks in the drainage.

Here's the rub, at the time of the find this area was an open area. Shortly after, the State said it needed this land and did some land swap thing and this area is now inside the park. No kidding, now part of the Red Rock state Park area.

I have a thing about going somewhere I know I'm not supposed to go so I haven't been back. I do look at that cyn. when I drive by on my way to the hunting fields.

In case anybody was wondering, this was an area south of the Ricardo claims.

Let me finish the story with this, during these days I was Obsessed with the pursuit, neglected responsibilities and was fortunate that I didn't loose my family. Things changed and I balanced things out personally and then wham. My loose lips with my gold tales landed on someone who didn't mind braking into my house at night while my family was home and taking almost 2 lbs of the yellow stuff. I came away from this experience being thankful that my family was safe, knowing any number of things could have happened.

I took a brake from the hunt for awhile being thankful for what I had. Its been a few year and I've started enjoying this again. All the big ones are gone but it was always about the hunt. Heck, I gave up trout fishing to hunt gold. When I was trout fishing I always caught and released. Hunting for the yellow stuff was the same for me as fishing, haven't released a single nugget yet though.

Hope this clears some of the mystery up

smokeater

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!! what a dangerous person when you start to think Flak. :lol:

That is one great ideal. I tried recently to give some body on the forum the directions using Google Earth. Pretty labor intensive.

So since it's your idea how should I do the clues, all at once or little teasing bits?

I no longer have the suitcase full of maps and research material that I once had from a guy that actually looked for the treasure for about ten years. He actually lived in the canyon for several years.

At one place he cut a large cavity out of the side of one of the mountains and had running water to bath in and also a good place to put water containers during the day to keep them cool. The water was natural spring water, cold and sweet.

Tell me more Flak.

uh oh, I stepped into another one...

uh, I'm thinking I should stop thinking.

If the original guy got that far with it and had no luck,

then...

let's see,

hummmmm.....

???

See there you go Flak, teasing all us. Come on now do tell us more.

Bob

Wikieup was out that way monday signal rd went it to town to subway for a bite.

had my 2 bid rubber maid containers in the fj60 land cruiser with about 25gal of water in them.late in the day one sprung a leak in the bottom where it had been rubbing on somethingnow i have the perfect toyota land cruiser for the desert got it's oun pool in the back seat.still no gold but im eating well and quits smoking now for 1 month from 3 packs a day saving about $348.00 a month.Garimpo i"ll look for treasure if you can point me in the general direction and it near the side of the road i don't walk to far from the road or at least where i can drive

Ok guys got my boots on so here goes from memory. :blink:

As I told somebody before don't go in this place alone!!! :mellow:

In Wikieup from Chicken Springs Rd. go North approx. 2.8 mi. and turn left, or West. It's a wide and in the past a maintained road. It probably has a name but I don't have those maps any more so I don't know it.

Go approx. 6 mi. West, when you see a large outcropping of white quartz on your right your about 1/2 way there.

Continue West bound until you come to the top of a small hill and on the near right will be a small flat area, which is really the beginning a road. Here is an excellent place to off load 4x4's which I highly recommend for further travel on this road.

One of "heybeerman"'s jeeps would be excellent for this road. Your now heading North and the road is terrible, go about 1-1.5 miles and you'll come to the end of the road and a place to dry camp. There's a small stream bed there but most of the time it's dry.

About a 1/2 mile from the beginning of this road on the left is a hugh rock face that at one time had a eagles head but was dynamited off by other treasure hunters. Also in this same area is an old pile of claim marker rocks.

At the dry camp site head "down stream" by foot for about a 1/4 mi. and on your left in the floor of the canyon that is very narrow at this point will be a large rock that has many pictographs carved in it. In 1994 they were getting very hard to see clearly so I climbed the rock and chalked the carvings and took pics of all of them.

WARNING! under this large rock was a rattlesnake den, so be careful.

Some people think that just past this picture rock on the left side of the canyon and about 200 yds. up is a Spanish mine that has been covered up.

North of the dry camp area about 200 yds. are some tunnels, one that's vertical and one that connects to it that's horizontal. Snakes there also, be careful.

"Old Charlie" lived there for a few years and recovered one stash of gold bars hand poured by the Spanish. I also found further down the canyon and up high a hole dug out of the side of the mountain that was approximately 5x5x5 feet that was a very old dig and could have been the main deposit for the Spanish priest.

Down canyon from the dry camp about 100 yds. on the right is a hole in the base of the mountain where Charlie dug out a bath tub with fresh cool water most of the time.

Have fun, wish I was there to take you in. Remember these distances are approx. but the land marks are just as described unless somebody has altered them.

Ready for more Flak?

Ok, in the vicinity of the rock with the pictographs on the South wall, near a clump of trees in the middle of the canyon floor was a tunnel about waist high.

It was necessary to crawl about 20' on your hands and knees and then the small entrance would open up into a room that had a old wooden hand cart and other pieces of mining equipment laying around.

When in there only once and my batteries were just about shot so I made a hasty retreat out of there. Went back several days later and somebody had caved the entrance in with large rocks from above.

Later more about a couple, man and woman who were there also and their "sacrificial alter".

waist high tunnel, twenty feet in on hands and knees

batteries losing power...

I'd a been freaking out.

next installment any time you're ready...

* (note to self, lots of batteries)

Man oh Man, This is becoming an on going saga. I'm really sleepy right now, but look forward to more pages to read. I remember One my father told me about 50 years ago. Remind me to tell you at dinner. I'll also post it here.

Bob

Hey Garimpo,

Good story, that does bring back some memories. Been to Wikieup on more than one occasion.

Lots of great country around there, as well as things to do and things to see ;) .

Couple of things that you mention, that I just don't recall. But then maybe I was in a different canyon. Or just overlooked some things :angry: . It's a big area.

Get on with your story, maybe it will rattle the old grey stuff a bit.

If you are not used to that country, its sure not a place to go it alone. As a matter of fact, even if your familiar with it, it's not a place to go alone. Been awhile since I was up there, around 8 or 9 yrs.

Your right about the snakes. I wouldnt even think about going in there without at least snake leggings, and better yet, for that area, the full length chap type.

Bob T.

Guess I stepped on it too and it's still moist and green. :blink:

Maybe I'll have to start taking notes about what I've posted and not posted.

Flak, your little note taking always gives me a good "belly laugh".

In the vertical tunnel that's connected by the horizontal tunnel just North of the dry camp is where I saw what I think is the worlds largest rattle snake and he was black. Don't know how that's possible but when I asked Ole Charlie about it he said that when an area has been burned off like that was, then a snake can change his color to match the terrain.

I know for sure he was hugh, black and had rattlers. Then he went into the horizontal tunnel out of sight.

Garimpo,

I am sure 29Prospector, Mick, Joeforthegold, Denny and others will attest to that black

rattler description...out in the Mohave where we hunt, that's what they look like many

times.

Actually, I have only seen one. It was a baby and it was just as curious about me as I

was about it. We spent a few minutes studing each other and both decided at the same

time it was best to move on.

(here goes my first attempt at a picture post since I switched browsers on the kind

advice of one of the forum members).

Way to go Flak. Sure looks like a black buzz tail to me. Don't think he much wanted you pet him though.

Good pic, don't stop there.

Actually in those canyons around there is a lot of Mojave rattlers, red ones and green ones, beautiful but nasty tempers.

Garimpo,

I am sure 29Prospector, Mick, Joeforthegold, Denny and others will attest to that black

rattler description...out in the Mohave where we hunt, that's what they look like many

times.

Actually, I have only seen one. It was a baby and it was just as curious about me as I

was about it. We spent a few minutes studing each other and both decided at the same

time it was best to move on.

(here goes my first attempt at a picture post since I switched browsers on the kind

advice of one of the forum members).

Good shoot Flak. Its funny out here in the Dale district. On the east side and and southern east end, they are tan to brownish with that ugly head and black tail. Go over to the west side and they are gray-to blackish. Same ugly head and black tail. They are known as Speckled Rattlers. We have some pacific rattlers and some mojave's. Not to many mojaves in the dale area yet. the speckled has short fangs but they always seem to know where the top of your boot is. Nasty fellows.

Bob B)

Pssssst, Pssst, hey Flak, guess what. Down here there's no tipping. In ten years not one tip. :P

Don't tell anyone but in ten years here I haven't pumped any gas either. Expelled a little but not pumped it. :lol:

Try to have a good day, think about me when your cleaning your own windshield, don't do that here either. :rolleyes: