Good treasure stories?

Are any of you interested in going into this treasure canyon on 4x4's?

If so let me know, there's a short trip of about a mile that I've already told you where to off load the quads.

Then there's the grand daddy of trips into the same canyon.

Let me know if interested.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are any of you interested in going into this treasure canyon on 4x4's?

If so let me know, there's a short trip of about a mile that I've already told you where to off load the quads.

Then there's the grand daddy of trips into the same canyon.

Let me know if interested.

Garimpo,

I'm not sure what you have been covering :huh: , but hey, if gold or dreams of lost treasure are involved count me in :D .

Bob B)

Hi Bob, go back to page 5 of this thread and that's the canyon I'm talking about.

The road in there is definitely a 4x4 road but only about 1 mile or so.

There's another way into that same canyon and it's either by feet or 4x4. This way in is about three miles and one hell of a quad trip.

Like Flak suggested this would be a great area for a club meet. Some could go in the short way to the dry camp and others could go the long way in, which btw has a wind mill with water at the camp site.

Anybody know how to "fix" a video driver that goes out to lunch with Google Earth?

Soon as I get Google Earth to work properly I'll post more directions.

Also I might mention that two gold treasures have been found in this canyon years ago and neither had detectors.

Hi Frosty, glad to hear your interested. I would love to be able to be there to lead a bunch of beepers into that canyon. I'm just to far away so all I can do is help with the directions.

It's a big area that needs to be searched and it would sure help to have a bunch of folks there beeping at the same time.

From the camp site where the windmill and water is, it's about 3 miles(estimated) up canyon to the site where the pictographs are.

In 1994-95 I hand built a 4x4 road on top of the ridges from the windmill to the pictographs. Beautiful scenery and a lot of hot work but a great quad trip. I feel like most of the quad trail would still be visible, in a couple of areas are a lot of rocks and the trail would be a little difficult to follow. A little scouting would find where it starts again.

Hi Flak, always good hearing from you.

Sounds like you've pretty well had your plate full lately.

It would sure be great if about 15 people with quads would take a weekend campout in that area I've been posting about west of Wikieup. A big group of people in that canyon might be able to turn up something of value.

I'm still trying to fix the problem with Google Earth.

rexb, I'm not a computer guru but the info I get from the inside of the thing says my video driver is a SIS 300/305.

I've tried to get the upgrades but it says that there's nothing later.

Only when I'm running Google Earth do I have the problem of the computer freezing up and then occasionally I can do a normal shut down, at other times I have to just pull the plug. On restart I get the message the send the info to Bro. Gates and then he says that the problem is the video driver went out to lunch.

You may need to upgrade your memory. Some programs need a lot of mem for graphics. If you have say 256megs you could go up to 512 ormore depending on the age of the sys and the op system. Check and see if google needs xp or see if google has a conflict with your firewall. Just a thought Wyndham

Same here Wyndham, 512mem, XP Pro, using only 32%, I think it's just too much for my SIS 300/305 video driver.

Now don't know if I could get a stronger one on download or does it take a screw driver and hammer.

Well, google earth does have to download a lot of info. from online for places you have not visited before. I'm not sure if it's your video card or not, 512 Mb of RAM should be enough, although that would have also been my first guess at the problem.

Here is a site that will tell you the parts it recommends for your computer based on the motherboard you have.

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

You can select the tab for "graphics cards" for graphics cards you'll have to click on the thing that says "scan my system" to install something to scan your computer. They say it is not really downloading on to your computer so it is a rapid process. Searching for compatible memory does not involve scanning it instead asks for the motherboard manufacturer, product line, model, etc. written on the motherboard. I recently upgraded my memory and found this site afterward. It would have made it easier to find out my computer needs 128-256 Mb PC 133 SDRAM modules.

The results it will give will probably be for several grades of compatible graphics cards. You may check and see if the one you already have is listed. They have each of the models listed for sale on their site, but you might try eBay first if you find something. You probably know how to take jpg. snapshots of your google earth frames. If not I can walk you through it. Hope that may help some.

Just John, Frosty and rexb, thanks for the help.

I'll keep trying to get some positive results with your advise and help.

If it don't work I'll just take the damn thing quail hunting. :huh:

Now I see where the Texas Wildlife Dept. has issued VP Cheney a warning ticket for hunting without an "attorney" stamp on his license. :lol:

rexb, thanks for the suggestions about Google Earth. I did all the checks but I think I now have it by just adjusting my display settings.

Now I have several Wikieup images saved on my desktop but don't know how to get them posted here.

HELP!!

What type of images are they, jpgs? I imagine they post the same as any other image. Are they very large files?

I guess you know how to place gps coords. directly on the map? If not let me know and I'll try to explain if that is something that you think would be a good add-on.

rexb, in Google I click file-save image, they are jpg format and the same size I normally post.

When I open one of the images on my desktop then click copy then try to post the image doesn't have paste command.

The only GPS lat & long are at the bottom of the image.

COLORADO BOB steered you right on how to post the photo. On making points with gps coords. on the map, using the navigational panel at the bottom of the page (if it is not open then go to tools in the top left hand corner and select navg. panel). On the left side of the panel scroll over the little blue and white stick pin symbol (third to the last button on the right) and click on it, then select "placemark", or you can just hit ctrl+N to do the same thing.

So, when you click it a field will pop-up in which you can name the coordinate and label it with gps long. lat. etc. If you click on the upper righthand side of the field out next to the place where the label can be entered - you will see the yellow and white stick pin symbol. If you click on that it will bring up some smaller sized markers to choose from, which you may prefer since they do not cover up as much of the background image.

To move around the coordinate marker just drag it around. When entering the gps coordinates make sure the mouse arrow is not on the map or the actual coordinates of the pinpoint marker will not be shown on the bottom of the map, but rather the mouse coordinates. I hope that was a clear explanation. It's really simple as you'll find out. I just took more space here to describe it than was probably needed.