Good treasure stories?

Trying again. It worked, thanks Bob T. that's how I always post but this time since I had never posted from my desk top , clearly a "brain fart".

This pic is the first of 7 and it starts at Chicken Ranch Road and goes North for 2.9 mi. and then turn left. This is the good road that will eventually take you to the dry camp.

post-719-1140190570_thumb.jpg

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#2, maybe. I'm trying different sizes, don't think it makes any difference.

This is the road from Hgy. 93 going West for approximately 8.94 mi. on the right side of the road and at the top of a hill will be a flat spot that's good to off load quads or camp with a couple of trailers, it's also the start of the road(?) going into the dry camp. Only quads or a heybeerman jeep for approx. 1.0 mile then your at the dry camp.

post-719-1140193463_thumb.jpg

#5- continue down the fork to the left and go approx. 2.32 mi. till you get to a windmill and water tanks. They will be at the side of a large wash which you'll have to travel down for approx. 1/4 mi. the road ends there.

post-719-1140194240_thumb.jpg

#6- this is going to be the tricky part. Up stream from camp, or West go about 200 yds and on your left will be the start of a ridge. On quads or a foot, go up the beginning of this ridge here. You'll have to part a few small bushes that really hide the beginning of this trail.

I hand made this quad trail for approx. 3.04 mi. some place it's very narrow, some places it's really rocky, I believe the trail will still be visible, if not then a little scouting will be in order.

When you get to the very end of the trail, you'll be looking straight down into the canyon where the pictographs are. Park the quads and walk down to the bottom of the canyon, only about 100 yds. or so.

Go in a group, take plenty of water. I stashed water in a couple of place along the trail but they've probably rotted from the sun or somebody has used them.

When you walk down from the quads, then canyon at this point is only about 100 feet wide. Across the canyon is where a lot of people think the Spanish gold is buried. Some also think there's a hidden mine close to where you park the quads.

post-719-1140194983_thumb.jpg

Correction, what I've been calling Chicken Ranch Rd. is really Chicken Springs Rd.

Also a pic, #2A, at the flat hill top, go right or North, again quads or afoot for 1.00 mi. this will put you in the dry camp on the West end of the Spanish treasure canyon. A small stream is there but normally dry.

post-719-1140196327_thumb.jpg

#2B- hope this is the last.

From the dry camp go down stream or East and approx. 3/4-1.0 mi. is the area where most of the searching has been done and the pictographs.

From the dry camp, down canyon about 200 yds. on the right is a small basin cut out of the base of the mountain. This is old Charlie's bath tub. On the left about 100-200 yds. is some mine shafts and tails.

Both sides of the canyon should be detected for about 1/2 mile. A group effort indeed.

post-719-1140196730_thumb.jpg

Flak, maybe I can answer your questions without going into a sermon.

Basically I was just enjoying life, living in Vegas, selling a few Minelab detectors on the side.

One day ole Charlie, not his real name, came to the house and said that somebody told him I was honest and he needed somebody he could trust with a bunch of research material.

I told ole Charlie that who ever told him I was honest was probably one of several people that I had paid to say that. He said that he would trust me just because of what I had just said. He figured that if I was a crook I wouldn't have said that. Just can't figure some people.

Over a period of several months Charlie would reveal some new research material that he was holding back. That I found out was his style, just enough to get you interested then a little more later on. Over a period of about three years I had a suit case overflowing with maps, transcripts from Spain, copies of Spanish Padres travels and pics of crudely poured nuggets.

I don't remember the exact amount of nuggets that Charlie had, I think around 5. I never actually saw the nuggets but did see the pics of one. The Spanish had taken a piece of Socorro cactus and hollowed out the roots and then soaked them in water before pouring the gold in. Very crude but it worked I guess.

Ole Charlie for years had been eat up with different kinds of cancer and without ever saying much about it was always going to the VA Hospital for treatments. He knew his time was getting short. In the three years that I knew him he never once made it to the canyon with me.

In 1996 during my first trip down here to Brazil ole Charlie passed on. Just before I left to come here he told me he was going to L.A. for more surgery and that he wouldn't be coming back, so we said our goodbyes and that was that.

So for three years I took up where Charlie left off. Bought a big, really big metal detector from England and worked my butt off in that canyon.

I came here, found a little gold and gave up the canyon. I spent many weeks there alone and all the memories are good.

Hey Flack,

Your probably right about a whole lot of click, clicking and down loading. If anyone, and thats a big if, really spends the time to try and find or get to the end of that trail, I will bet that they will backtrack and try to get out of there just as fast.

Now I'm not trying to scare or talk anyone out of it, if you like this sort of thing then by all means, go for it. But let me inject this bit of advice, its not for the faint-hearted, weak, naive or inexperienced so if you have no knowledge of desert survival and are not experienced with this type of terrain then at least try to have someone in your party who does.

Garimpo,

Shame on you. You have turned the left side of my brain [the right side having long since departed] into a quivering quagmire of mush. I have been racking the gray stuff trying to remember where the heck Chicken Ranch Road was located. I know that its been a number of years since I have been up there, but couldnt remember that road. I could not recall having ever heard anyone speak of chicken ranch rd., then I thought maybe that at one point the name had been changed. Then I thought maybe the left half of the top end of my body had just up and deleted an important bit of information without any authorization. Now I realize that a red herring has been dragged across the trail, unintentionally of course. Thanks for the amend :P:lol::o . Bob T.

Hi Bob T., sorry about stirring up all that grey matter. I have so many memories of that canyon and the surrounding area and please remember that it's been 10 yrs. now since I was there, but I can still see it as if it was only yesterday.

That canyon is loaded with rattle snakes and the windmill with the big water tank is buzzing with buzz tails. The really big ones are in the rat nest under the trees but the ones to really watch out for the little ones that curl up in a cow track with just their head visible.

There used to be a ladder going up the side of the big water tank and one time ole Charlie was going to bath in the big tank, he climber the ladder, swung his leg over the top to the first rung on the ladder inside and a big rattler nailed him.

His only transportation was his mule and by the time he got to Wikieup and then to Kingman he was almost dead. Took him three months to recover.

That quad track on top of the ridges has got some really big deer. Also some wild hogs.

Hope a bunch of you folks can get together for a good time there.

Hey Garimpo,

The photos bring back some good thoughts, kinda wish I was up there again. I get a little time, one of these days, I'm going to drive up just to look at the country again. Will take some pictures of roads and some other things and post them.

Who knows, maybe you will get homesick for the canyon and return to make another run at it.

If for some reason that should happen and you need support with logistics or anything, give me a buzz. Bob T. ;)

I hear you Bob T. but even though I'm already home sick for the desert and that canyon, everything I own is down here.

It would be a thrill to lead about 10-15 quads along that string of ridges. What a blast that would be.

Below is a pic of my most recent hunt area. As you can see my reason for being home sick for the desert.

These slave digs (tails) are much higher than normal, which means they were going much deeper in this area. I'm right in the center of a 10 miles area that has produced some fantastic gold.

The slave owners son still lives there on the ranch, he's in his 90's. Living with him is also a brother and sister whose dad was a slave for his dad.

This pic show a pile of tails that extend about 50 acres.

post-719-1140257896_thumb.jpg

Holy S#@$Garimpo,

Made my heart thump hard for a min....

Thought that looked a little on the brassie side, but then sometimes you can't tell from a photo.

To bad its not the real deal. :(:rolleyes:

If you had it up here around these swapmeets, it would still bring a few bucks.

Still a nice piece. Those old piles should have some stuff on top or down the sides. You ever rake them down any?? Bob T.

Sorry Bob T., now you can cancel your heart stress test, it's already passed. :D

Frosty, since there's more lead and pieces of quartz than there is gold why not invent a way to put lead and quarts together. :lol: At least it would be an improvement over just plain lead.

Oh yea Bob T., there's so many of these piles around here you could spend years with a tractor raking them down.

Yes to your question, at times I pay someone $5.00 bucks a day to do the raking. In a tails pile is where I found the 436 grammer. It was close to 3 feet down but the Coiltek 18" mono nailed it.

post-719-1140354611_thumb.jpg