• Admin

Hello eodseal2000,

Pretty interesting specimen you found there. Curious if you just visually picked it up, or if your detector sounded off on it?

I think it would be pretty tough to do any type of specific gravity due to all the other mineral present within the specimen. With this being said, it would be tough to determine if there is just a small amount of gold (stuff showing) or more within the specimen.

I wouldn't think it would have a lot of value, but would bring more value as a "conversation piece." A piece like that would be great for display purposes and something to hand someone and say, "Look at the gold!" :D

Thanks for sharing,

Rob Allison

:D Hi Alan,

Nice Rock :blink: Did you keep it?

Did you find it with vlf or your GP 3000, great find :)

Take care,

Ed

Hey Ed

It's been sitting on my pourch since I found it.

I was just walking upstream and it just caught my eye.

I didn't have a detector with me, I just went wandering :blink: and seen it.

It hasn't traveled far at all, close to the source.

I was thinking of cutting it into thin slabs and using them for?..coasters?

How about using it for a door jamb? Then everyone can see it, problem is I don't get many visitiors. :(

Oh, it weighs 18 lbs.

Take care.

Alan

• Admin

Hello Alan,

I think cutting it up into thin slaps could make pretty pieces, especially if some gold is shot through them. Pieces like this would bring some value!

Here is a piece I have that is between 6 - 6.5 pounds. It was found near the surface around a well known goldfield in Arizona. The piece has at least one 1/2 ounce nugget sticking off one side with a lot of little spots of gold. I'm not sure what the actual value would be, but would guess there might be approx. 1 - 1.5 ounces of gold within the huge piece of quartz. My Minelab GP3500 just screams on it, even when the searchcoil is a good foot over it. :o

However, during the GPAA Mesa Show I had it on display and it caught a lot of attention. Many wanted to picked it up and hold it.

Keep us updated on what you do with yours.

Rob Allison

If you are really interested in how much gold is in the piece you can use a electrical tester to check for continuity of the gold by touching two points of gold to see if the gold runs thru it. If it appears that gold runs thru the piece you can have it cheaply x-rayed at a local vet from two views to determine the actual amount of gold in it. Because it has several types of minerals present it might be worth more as a specimen. Jerry

Hi Alan & Rob,

That would look cool in slab coasters :D There is a lapatory class in Weaverville, you could call Jerry at the Rock Shop, for the PH number and you could probably due the work for added character and self-value :D

Thats sure a nice Rock too Rob :D and I like the Minelab Mug :rolleyes:

Take care guy's,

Ed

• Admin

Hello Big Ed,

I thought you would like that Minelab Coffee Cup. I actually placed it there so people could see the size of the specimen. I would send you a FREE coffee cup, but since I have only ordered $50,000 in detectors since the beginning of the year I was only granted two cups! :rolleyes:

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

:D Hi Rob,

50,000.00 in detectors, Wow - think you need the coffee mug more then me :P But I would trade Minelab that ML stock battery harness pack, for a cup :rolleyes: Just joking, hope things are settling down after your vacation :blink:

Hey Alan,

I spotted the ML Mug first :P

Take care my friends,

Ed

• Admin

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I believe I have one of the only new Minelab SD2100v2's left in stock. It sounded like the SD2100's might be completely discontinued, but haven't heard it from the "Horse's Mouth" as of yet. This is a great unit and I really hate to sell it as it's a great back-up unit to the GP3500.

I heard there is a very .... very limited amount of GP3500's right now. Pretty much what the dealers have in stock is all you're going to get until August. I still have a pretty good batch of them left, but heard some dealers are completely out and won't be able to order them until late July possibly early August.

P.S. I will sell anyone a Minelab Coffee Cup at $25,000.00 and will include the 6.5 Pound Nugget with the sale. Heck, that sounds like an Ebay Ad, 6.5 pound nugget!!!! :rolleyes:

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hell Rob,

Send me a dozen.

By the way, seems that you and that Flakmagnet has been in cahoots again.

Now I know that you can keep a secret.

Great service, received the headgear Sat..

Great procuct, would recommend it to anyone. Thanks for the quick service.

Will get a PM to Flak.

Bob T.

• 3 weeks later...

Was in AZ. back in 99 when my partner and I went out to Crown King...on the way we checked out some areas and found some that looked much the same....Detetors went crazy.....however there was no gold that we could find....busted them up even in the hopes we would.

look like a decent chunk of copper ore, maybe sulphide cap (the grayish part on top). sulphide ore will set a detector off.

Copper oxides are greenish looking, copper and silver sulphides are bluish/purple. Copper sulfate is also a bluish purple (think of "2000 flushes" toilet disinfectant. Other copper sulphides and porphyry ore may be brownish stains, peacock copper, or grayish. some high grade copper ores are silvery brass or even black, and weighty.

There may be gold in it, but probably not visible yellow gold.

worth? hard to say with fluctuating copper prices, but would be to the ton of rock. specimen may also contain some silver.

All is not lost however, gold occurs in the vicinity of copper and silver; copper vice versa; silver maybe, maybe not. Most gold placer is an alloy with silver in varying percentages. All of this stuff is what makes arizona famous in the mining world.

huge copper deposits carrying silver and gold values is the arizona calling card, and practically the only other area that has like deposits on a large scale are Sonora & Chihuahua mexico. Granted, there are some big pits in Utah, Nevada, Montana, but not statewide

if you find highgrade with veinlets, your best bet would be to treat it with hydrofloric acid and sell it at rock or mining shows; or slab it so that people could use it to make cabs and other jewelry.

However, if you have a specific mine of origin, level, stope, or other data of historical interest that you can tie in with your specimen, many museums are very interested as are many mineral or lapidary collectors.

Out of a crevass in a stream bed isn't working for you... sorry. Perhaps you should cut it with a slab saw and see what's inside. That may be the best route.

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the comments.  I believe I have one of the only new Minelab SD2100v2's left in stock.  It sounded like the SD2100's might be completely discontinued, but haven't heard it from the "Horse's Mouth" as of yet.  This is a great unit and I really hate to sell it as it's a great back-up unit to the GP3500. 

I heard there is a very .... very limited amount of GP3500's right now.  Pretty much what the dealers have in stock is all you're going to get until August.  I still have a pretty good batch of them left, but heard some dealers are completely out and won't be able to order them until late July possibly early August. 

P.S.  I will sell anyone a Minelab Coffee Cup at $25,000.00 and will include the 6.5 Pound Nugget with the sale.  Heck, that sounds like an Ebay Ad, 6.5 pound nugget!!!!  :rolleyes:

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob, and yep it will be August before we can get anymore GP or SD models from the Minelab warehouse. I don't have any demand for the big gold machines here in West Texas. My Rep from Minelab clued me in as far as stock goes at the warehouse in Vegas. I didn't hear about the SD2100 possibly being discontinued and wouldn't ya know it that is the model I was hoping to get someday. Ok Rob just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth and hope to chat with you later and as always God Bless, also much success to you.

John Tomlinson, CET :D  :D  :D