Lynx Creek with a SD2100v2

As promised, my first impressions of my new SD2100v2 at Lynx Creek. I don't know why I chose Lynx Creek as I've read plenty of stories of all of the junk up there...well let's just say I verified this again! I will say in summary, that if you're a newbie like me, the 2100 is probably a good unit to get, it's simple to use and seems to have good sensitivity.

First we started out south of the lake down to the old BM dirt mine road taking us near Lynx Creek, which is dry now, only containing pools of water. There are some good size dredging piles on the west side of the creek bottom, I'm guessing these are the ones from the 30's-40's...? Although the SD2100v2 can only be balanced manually, I didn't find this a problem, it took me about a minute and I checked it in later locations and didn't notice any need to rebalance. I had heard that the 2100 was a quiet machine and after using this for the first hour I understood this. I kept the background level just decernable, about like a Mosquito level like Rob recommended. I first practiced on my gold ring and it about blasted my ears off. Next, I decided to go pursue targets with a similar level...before long I had my first target. About 6 inches later I found my first nail, a nice square nail from way back when! To cut to the chase, my wife and I found more nails, wire, bullet casings and yes, you guessed it a nice lead slug! We did search the dredgings a bit and then went to the shelf above the creek along some nice large boulders and a shelf with crevaces. Then out of no where came the thunderstorms from the south, looked innocent at first. We were too busy detecting to care. A few sprinkles, and then the downpour and pea-size hail. The 2100 case kept pretty dry with that Coiltek wrap as we ran to the SUV. It didn't stop downpouring for about 1 hr, I found out later that about 1/2" fell. At this point, we decided to head to higher ground back up the BM road and check near the south end of the lake which is paved. By now the rain had turned into a drizzle, but no way were we going to let that hinder us. I decided to check a gully feeding the end of the lake. First impressions, it looked clean. Well, not quite. More bullet casings, a shotgun shell and some nice wire! But we had so much fun, that before long we had to pack up after a good 7 hours of hunting. I think I may rename Lynx Creek to Skunk Creek or Dump Creek for now, although I'm sure there is still good gold up there! I think the 2100 will be a good unit for me. I'm looking forward to using it. I was most impressed with how quiet it seems to be, we really knew when we had targets, although these were the kind you pull for the EPA...(I really do want the kind you stash away in a safety-deposit box)! Best...

--DJ

Dear djhansen;

First, let me state that I feel that you made an excellent choice by purchasing an SD2100 as your first PI detector! I also bought one from Rob several months ago and I must confess that I now use it more than I do my GP3000 ;) The darned thing is just so simple to setup and use and ground balancing is a breeze. The SD2100 seems to be able to handle mono coils better for me than my GP3K can, and that is a BIG plus! I don't know if you've purchased any accessories yet, but if you haven't, then now would be the time since you've already saved a bunch of money by not buying the GP3500! :blink: If you haven't already done so, then I would recommend that you get the Coiltek Pocket Rocket lith-ion battery pack as soon as practical. Not only will this little gem take about a ton of weight off of your back and shoulders, it REALLY improves the performance of the SD2100 by using 7.3 volts instead of the stock Minelab 6 volts. Again, if you haven't already done so, it would behoove you to move away from the stock 11" DD coil ( a real dog of a coil IMHO, even on my GP3K) and move into the mono series coils. In fact, the only 2 *must have* DD coils that I really like are the Wallaby DD Pro and the Platypus DD Pro, but they can be added later on. The must have coils for the SD2100 would be the CTK mono Joey and the ol' faithful CTK 14" round. These are the two coils that I always carry with me without fail when using my SD2100. When I have my GP3K with me the two coils that I always carry are the Wallaby DD Pro and the Platypus DD Pro. The Minelab 8" mono coil is another superb coil, but the 10X5 Joey mono seems to have exactly the same performance specs as does the 8" mono, plus the Joey can work in much tighter quarters than the 8" mono, so for the few extra dollars the mono Joey is a better investment, IMHO. Next, the Coiltek 14" round mono is THE coil for the SD2100! This is the coil that you absolutely must have for general all around prospecting with your SD2100. It has all of the sensitivity of small mono coils, plus it punches down very deep for a coil of it's size. If you learn to use the CTK 14" and Joey mono coils then you will find yourself right up there with the GP series users in no time at all, my friend. Good luck and I wish you the very best in your adventures!

Your friend;

LAMAR