Mining Software

Good evening everyone.

Well its been so hot out here in 29 and with the fires the smoke has been a tad bad. Well all this free time has given me time to do some research. Now like most of us, I use a varity of resorces than try to piece it all together.

In the last 2-3 weeks there has been a bit of a brew ha-ha over researching and a program called "Mines And Minerals" put by HystWare. GotGold who is a member of this forum as well as others is one of the authors. I've been wanting to get the program for some time now and finally bit the bullet and bought it. I spent all weekend and most of today working the program, not from a programmers point of view, but like a normal person with a little computer knowledge. I believe that this program will benefit many newbies as well as experenced prospectors. Now the program does has its limits but I know from talking to Gary about the program there are a lot of great things coming up. The limits that I ran into were more the fault of the USGS data and topo map data. This Gary has very little control over. I would highly recommend this program to anyone. It will cut down your research time. The best part of the program is the topo view, the aerial view and the combo overlay. You can use Google Earth with it by using the GPS coor. from M&M and use the search function in Google Earth to get a bigger overall picture.

If your interested in the program contact gotgold here on this site and he can give the run down. I just felt that I should post this because it has enhanced my research 4 fold. Thanks gary.

Bob

• Admin

Hello Bob,

Sure sounds like it's a good program from the recent reviews. Was hoping Gary would send over a copy so I could break it down. I have just about every piece of research material available, so I wanted to compare the database to what I have. I think Gary's scared! :P

These type of programs make research much easier.

Thanks for th review,

Rob Allison

Wow Bob,

This is totally unexpected, and I mean that folks. No arm twisting or under the table shady deal or trade going on here. I say wow again and thank you Bob :)

....... so I wanted to compare the database to what I have. I think Gary's scared!  :P

Rob Allison

Scared, :blink: .....who, me :lol:. If I remember correctly, in one of my posts I said we'd take this one step at a time. Looks like your next B)

Gonna need an address so send me a PM.

Gary

Gary,

All I can say is thank you for taking the time to put this together. I know from talking to you and reading Rod's review, that a lot of nice goodies are coming soon. You have made it very easy for the novice to figure out where to go and maybe not get discourged.

Bob

Gary,

All I can say is thank you for taking the time to put this together. I know from talking to you and reading Rod's review, that a lot of nice goodies are coming soon. You have made it very easy for the novice to figure out where to go and maybe not get discourged.

Bob

Your right Bob about the new goodies, it's just the time necessary to make sure they're implemented in the right way, and the bugs are worked out :)

And your welcome regarding us putting this together. If it wasn't for our love of the outdoors, prospecting and mining in general it never would have happened.

Gary

• Admin

Hello Gary,

Thanks for sending out the software. I will use it like a normal end-user and give you my honest opinion. The one nice think about programs like yours is the fact it makes research a lot more easlier. I heard your program is very user friendly, so I'm excited to play around with it. I'm also interested to see how accurate the Arizona information is. :D

If it's real accurate I will have to lie and say it's way off to protect the gold bearing areas! :rolleyes: Hehe ....

Will keep my eye out for it. Thanks for sending it.

Talk with you soon,

Rob Allison

Rob:

Once you have looked at it, perhaps we can have a bit of a discussion about the database. I have compared it on areas I know well in California and Nevada. It has its good points and its bad ones. Once you have looked at the AZ information, lets have a little discussion of the database iteself.

Chris

• Admin

Hello Reno Chris,

Sounds like a plan! I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to the Central and Western Arizona Goldfields. I haven't seen a database yet that has real detailed or accurate information. Some of the smaller placer areas are way off the mark. I would hate to be the one relying on some of these databases. However, you just might stumble into something during the hunt.

Some of the smaller, lesser known placers are prime targets for today's electronic prospector's.

I have one book I found many years ago that has an old Arizona placer map in it. I've never seen anything like it and it lists several dozens small placers zones I had no clue about. All the major listings I found nuggets at, so it makes me believe all these smaller zones will also produce nuggets.

I'm expecting some big hits this Winter season.

Once I play around with the program I will post some information and we can break it all down. Regardless, programs like this make it very easy for people to do general research.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello Reno Chris,

Old 29 here. I think that helping Gary get the database up to date will really help. I've been working on the 29 Palms area only and will be e-mailing him some information that he presently doesn't have. In 1980, I spent 3 days at the County library going thru the Mine reports from 1896 to 1953 and was able to get a lot of info. I'm sure that you can probably access them today if you knew where they were.

Bob

azdave35,

It works very well with Google Earth but you must run Google Earth in a separate window or tab. With both programs running at the same time, copy the coords. and paste them into Google Earth. I've spent 5 days now doing just that and undating some information on the side so that I can send it to Gary for input. The program is well worth the cost just in time saved. PM gotgold and he can help you out greatly.

Bob