I'd like some advice from claim owners

Hi, My name is Travler and I have been doing my due diligance in researching claims. I have decided that I'd like to own one, I just don't really Know which ones would suit me and what I need to get started. Here's some variables that I have to deal with i have 2 small kids and live in the San Francisco east bay I have a 19 foot trailer that i'd like to use. I was also wondering if administration could pin a topic on the abc's of prospecting. Sorry for rambling, i'm just really excited. Trav.

Have you looked into clubs like UPI , Coarsegold Prospectors, many other clubs. You can use the claims as a member and it is way cheaper and you will get more than one claim to use. Then you get to meet some nice people too. You have to pay TAXES on a claim annually and file some paperwork. You might be better off to get a lifetime membership to a club, or just go annually.

I belong to a club called Sierra Prospecting and we have 10 claims between Sonora and Mariposa. There is a 500 lifetime buyin and 30 maintenance fee per year. We have outings on a regular basis and you can use the claims on your own. This type of thing might be good for you and you can sell if you don't use it. Jerry

with people in tow, especially kids, the club would be your ticket (security in groups). There are claims that are in safe areas, and not out in some sticks near narcos or some other stranger.

With the exception of club claims, most claims are not recreational sites.

If you still want to pursue it, go into the local BLM or Forestry Division and ask for a land-use map. It will indicate where the federal land is that is open to mining.

Research the BLM files to see what active claims are in the area you want to claim. Once you figure out what is open, decide what kind of claim you want. The BLM and Forest Service has pamphlets on this. Check out the locals before you post your claim to help avoid problems later.

A lode claim is 600' x 1500', corner posts needed, some require a discovery post and mid endline post. Make an accurate map, relative to the position of the claim, and relationship with the corresponding section and township.

A placer claim is 900' x 900', corner posts needed

Go to a printer shop and get a notice of mining claim, fill it out and notarize it. Take it and your map to the county recorder's office where the claim is, and record your claim (FEE). then go to the BLM and record your Claim using the county recorder's record (ANOTHER FEE).

Once a year, go back to the BLM office and pay another FEE.

If you join a club, membership and use of the claims, monthly or annual dues, camping facilities, friendly help, variable experience, etc., will all be your for a fraction of the FEES for one mining claim.

Thank you all, I will consider a group, I have wondered about the safety issue. But figured it was nothing a little pepper spray or a weapon might make me feel O.K. with. I am very jazzed about this and can't wait to give it a shot. Any equitpment advice would be nice too. Trav

the problem with anyone is, YOU HAVE TO CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU'RE DOING, related to metal detectiing or mining. While you're concentrating on that, some wakko can sneak up.

If you don't know much about the techniques to get gold, Others in a club do, and want to give advice. Human natuure is to give advice and I am no exception.

Your best route would be to join up and go with a club, as many of them bring their kids in tow also, and you can learn while someone else is watching over the rest of the party. It's up to you about who is full of hot air, and who can help you out.

The best thing for you is not to get sucked into buying additional technical stuff, but to work with what you have, and once you have some experience in recognizing your own actual needs vs. hardware, work on those upgrades.

Either way, a decent detector will cost you about $800, plus camping gear and stuff. If you decide to get into mining, perhaps you'll spend another $1000 on a drywasher or highbanker, pans, and tools. In this area, you'd be best to work out a partner deal to use high end equipment until you get good enough to work solo with expertise and rewards, rather than buy something that may not be your thing.

It helps to have a few books that you can study in short intervals while in the bathroom, concerning geology, detectors, nugget finding techniques, etc.

Rob can help you with everything auplacers@yahoo.com

Rob is a regular working stiff like the most of the rest of us, and isn't out to sell somebody what they don't need or can't use properly. He has books and all the accessories, but take it one step at a time