Platinum Nuggets...ever any findings?

Had an excellent day out with 5 detectors, and between all of us we almost filled the bottom of a gold pan with some good gold nuggets, and a large amount of platinum nuggets. I think we finished out at over 30 ounces total. This has been the best weekend of detecting in my life. Maybe we found too much though the owner of the lode mine was with us, and he is going to be ripping the hill that we scored on with heavy equipment this week to run through his processing plant :(

I guess the honeymoon is over for us, but we all had a great time over the last three weeks. Many thanks to our buddy Rick for giving us the opportunity of a lifetime. I will be posting lots of pics soon on here.

• Admin

Hello Arizonaregional,

Wow, sounds like you had an awesome weekend. I've nuggethunting the Southwest, most Arizona from one end to the other and never found or seen a Platinum nugget found here. I've pesonally found thousands of gold nuggets, and hundreds of copper and silver pieces. I would love to see a real Platinum from Arizona, so hopefully you can post the pictures here.

I'm sure you're positive they are Platinum and not Galena or Silver, which is very common around gold bearing areas. Can't wait to see them.

Wishing you much more success.

Rob Allison

Hello Arizonaregional,

Wow, sounds like you had an awesome weekend. I've nuggethunting the Southwest, most Arizona from one end to the other and never found or seen a Platinum nugget found here. I've pesonally found thousands of gold nuggets, and hundreds of copper and silver pieces. I would love to see a real Platinum from Arizona, so hopefully you can post the pictures here.

I'm sure you're positive they are Platinum and not Galena or Silver, which is very common around gold bearing areas. Can't wait to see them.

Rob Allison

I know what most people are thinking when it comes to platinum nuggets they are SO rare, and can easily be mistaken for something else. I am by far not an expert. What we found was off a WORKING gold lode mine that has been producing a little platinum with gold they mill for quite awhile. We are mostly amature prospectors, but we are under the supervision of the mines geologist, and the mines owner. The PT nuggets we found were tested by a mine geologist, and I a few buy a jewlery store where a friend works just to let him test them (mostly just to pick on him for having to work on our prospecting weekends). I did get lucky with the first couple of nugget finds. Every time we find a PT nugget we log the GPS cords. So after about a dozen finds we found a hill they were coming from as well as what mine shaft, and tailings pile. I don't think the hill will exist after this week or the mine shaft. After getting many gold nuggets, and some PT nuggets the owner of the mine moved ALL his big equipment to harvest the gravel through his processing plant. At least the mines owner said he will still let me use my key to prospect on weekends : )

Next time we make it down to Phoenix I will bring a few PT nuggets along with me, and drop by your business for show and tell.

Oddly, the first nugget of anything I ever found was a small platinum nugget while panning in Sugar Creek, in N. CA, on my own property only a few miles from the Trinity County line...There is an old platinum mine about a mile and a half away but on the other side of the Scott River...It was in 1978 and I was just learning how to pan ... At the time I didn't know what it was but kept it and it was identified as Pt. by an old timer a year or so later ... I sold it and now wish I hadn't ... These nuggets you've just found are awesome...Cheers, Unc

Very interesting. It looks almost like some sort slag because of the "bubble marks" or did you hit it with your pick? If it is indeed pt, that is a heck of

a find.

Matt

PS-I'll be your friend... :D

me too, me too :P

Here are some pics for y'all from last weekend. Since the weather was terrible this weekend up here in Mohave County we took the weekend off. It SNOWED here today (Sunday) ughhh. This pan of goodies has some pt nuggets with bands of gold on some of them. Kinda strange a gal up here that does some assaying, and testing found this VERY odd. Anyway if anyone has ever seen anything like this let me know.post-31182-129823981037_thumb.jpgpost-31182-129823986901_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hello Arizonaregional,

Very hard to see the pics since they are so huge. You might want to try to resize them down to like 1000x1000 pixel or less for the forums.

Platinium and Gold banded together does seem strange, but if that is really what it is, you have something good going there. Would enjoy to see more pics and stories behind the deposit.

Rob Allison

• 12 years later...

I have a huge nugget and specimen of platinum I found on my second prospecting adventure, it's the size of a human brain and the nugget looks like a Norwegian Stag or British perhaps with a full bust, chest and head turned looking at you with it's left eye and has black crystals in it, which is why I stopped try to break off the highly rich ore and make rings and jewelry with, I just don't have the chemicals or space for proper ventilation of PGM dangers, I have a mask for my forge but that's all I have...Pleas help me with this. I can only seem to get one picture up on my Facebook page Andy Snow from Gresham, OR. outside Portland towards the Gorge

• 4 months later...