What is considered a "Small Gold Nugget?"

• Admin

Hello All,

I just seen on another post where Kamakazi (Gaine) asked about a dink. I guess the questions is, "What is considered a small nugget?"

I consider anything that I can find with the Minelab GP3500 a nugget. :P With the Coiltek 10x5 Joey Mono Searhcoil I can find them down to a grain and even slightly smaller if the shape is right. I know a "one grain" piece might not be considered a nugget, maybe more of a "Picker."

A "Dink" to me is anything under about 6-8 grains. The word "Dink" is just an expression for small gold nugget.

I will take all the dinks I can find even though it takes 50-100 of them to make one Troy Ounce. :( Small nuggets under a pennyweight (1/20th of an ounce) are 1000's to 1 vs. 1/4 ounce + nuggets. Obviously the larger the nugget the more scarce they are.

I'm sure I will find a few more dinks this weekend. :rolleyes:

Take care,

Rob Allison

The term has changed over the years for us. There was a time when anything over 10 gr was a nugget, then as we started working better gold it changed to 25 gr and if we couldn't pick it up with thumb and index finger it got tossed back or just added to the con's bucket. That's how we still run things and just don't have the time to mess with the fines.

It's different for everybody and some will sit hunched over a tub of water panning hours to pan a dollars worth of flour gold. :blink:

:D:P:D

I agree with Rob, the smallest piece for me 0.4 dwt, with platypus DD pro.

Take care,

Ed

"My dinks are bigger than your dinks!"

"OH YEA!!! I can detect a Dink smaller than yours!"

"How many Dinks does it take to make a flock of Dinks?"

"Caution! Dinks on Edge!"

"Dinks Crossing"

"Papa Nugget to Mama Nugget....Would you get your Dinks in a row!!"

"Walk on right side of road...ok; walk on left side of road....ok, but walk in middle....get squashed like DINK!"

"Who the Dink cares?"

Ahhhhh! Some great T-Shirt designs!

No more coffee for me this late!

LOL

Karl

Rob,

I'm somewhat confused now. Evertbody weighs they finds in grains and grams, my problem is this: I weigh everything in dwt :lol::lol:. So to me a picker is 1/2-1dwt. Anything above that are nuggets :D:D. Anything above 10dwt is considered OH MY GOD or HOLY MOLY!!!! :lol::lol: .

Bob

Dearest "Dinksters",

The term "dink" is reffering to the SOUND of a small piece of AU in a water filled GLASS vial.Shake that vial and what do ya hear?Dink!Dink!Dink!Theres been other terminology that refers to bigger pieces IE: "Clunkers" which refers to a bigger piece that hits a metal/plastic gold pan......."CLUNK"!Clunkers are harder to find and usually refer to pieces that wont fit into a 2oz. vial(this is a problem we wish we all had).

Then there are pieces that only produce one sound when dropped on just about any surface and that sound is ......"THUD" this refers to ONE SOLID PIECE or NUGGET(kids ,dont try this at home with quartz/au specimens).These are simply called nuggets(not thuders,thumpers or bonkers)to which I've only had the pleasure of only finding once .........so far. <_<

BIGFOOT

post-774-1155409450_thumb.jpg

Dearest "Dinksters",

The term "dink" is reffering to the SOUND of a small piece of AU in a water filled GLASS vial.Shake that vial and what do ya hear?Dink!Dink!Dink!Theres been other terminology that refers to bigger pieces IE: "Clunkers" which refers to a bigger piece that hits a metal/plastic gold pan......."CLUNK"!Clunkers are harder to find and usually refer to pieces that wont fit into a 2oz. vial(this is a problem we wish we all had).

Then there are pieces that only produce one sound when dropped on just about any surface and that sound is ......"THUD" this refers to ONE SOLID PIECE or NUGGET(kids ,dont try this at home with quartz/au specimens).These are simply called nuggets(not thuders,thumpers or bonkers)to which I've only had the pleasure of only finding once .........so far. <_<

BIGFOOT

Bigfoot,

I think by far that the picture you have is one of the best nuggets I've seen. I have found plenty that would not fit in a 2oz bottle, but not as pretty as yours