impedence of the gp3000

hello all,

I was hoping if anyone knows the impedence coming out of the headphone jack on the gp3000. Ive been looking at new headphones and would like to match the headphones to the machine (ohms).I got about 200 ohms out of the jack!!!! anybody else got anything??????????????????????

any help would be appreciated,

thanks :blink: ..........................................airboy

• Admin

Hello Airboy,

I'm not sure what the impedence is on the headphone jack, never tried to test it. I'm sure it can be done though. Being a dealer Minelab don't really give us much technical information. However, it would be nice to have since many people/customers like to know more about the detector's specs.

I can tell you that the DetectorPro Black Widow Headphones will work great for the GP3000. I believe they are 150-200 ohm headphones and everyone I sold a pair to loves them. These are probably the best headphones that I have found for the SD/GP series. I have tried everything from "El-cheapo's" to the most expensive.

The stock Koss-UR30's are a good mid-line headphone, but there are much better out there. What's nice about the DetectorPro phones is you get a limited lifetime warranty. Not sure what limited means, but Gary Storm at DetectorPro has always backed his product 110%!

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hello Airboy, the Koss UR 30 headphones are 100 ohm impedance and is what is sold to Minelab customers when purchasing their detectors. They also come with the Explorer II but I have used SunRay and various models of Detector Pro's on the Explorer. Just my 2 cent's and take care. God Bless.

John Tomlinson, CET ;):D;):D;):D

well I got the multimeter out and the impedence of the gp3000 phone jacks was around 200 ohms +-5ohms, the Ur30s were indeed 108 ohms, Black Widows (and most other Gray ghost headphones)claim to be 150 ohms.

From what Ive gatherd, the impedence of the headphones should be as close to the machines impedence to get full use of your machine. So indeed the "Black Widows" having an impedence of 150 ohms,is much better matched to the gp3000 (200 ohms).

Now if we can find a set of headphones @200 ohms we would be in "Hog Heaven" :rolleyes:

Does any one have anything to add????????????

Wirechief,

thanks I guess I didnt pay attention in electricity that day! <_< Am I going about this the wrong way? Im just trying to figure out what headphones would be the best choice, and Im really bored! :unsure: I really like to know how things work, so thats why Im doing this! I could just go out and by the "Grey Ghost" phones but I want to know why there better than the Ur-30 from an electronics standpoint!!!!!! I dont consider my self an electricion,(or a great speller) :rolleyes: Im Just bored, and enjoy talking with others!

so keep um cumin :D

Ok Airboy the impedance is considered as an opposition a speaker produces to the AC from an amplifier. So in theory the closer you bring the impedance value of the headphones to the impedance of the amp the more power is transferred to the headphones. I think in some cases this is overplayed. So obviously it is apparently not a real critical issue with Minelab if they sell you a set of 100 ohm headphones for your 3000 that has an output impedance of 600 ohms. Like I said it is not going to hurt if you use SunRay or Detector Pro or Koss ur 30. I have a multitude of detectors here at my shop and I use the SunRay Pro Gold headphones on all of them, and the SunRay's are 150 ohm impedance. Ok Airboy I hope this has helped a little more for you.

John Tomlinson, CET ;)

• Admin

Hello Airboy,

Not telling what you need to purchase, but I used all the Gray Ghost Headphones (Original all the way to Ultimates) and they don't match up to the Black Widow's. If you're looking for the best audio response, I would seriously consider the Black Widow's. However, the Gray Ghost Ultimate's are a close second, but the price is the same. :(

Hope this helps,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob, I'm not trying to move in on your turf but thought I would try to help Airboy out a little. I also like the Detector Pro headphones and they work fine on everything too. Yes Gary is a very nice fellow. I will bugout if you would like Rob. So God Bless you my friend and I still hope to get that way someday.

John Tomlinson, CET ;)

• Admin

Hello John,

You're not stepping on anyone's toes my friend. I appreciate the information you posted. I'm just stating, that if you're going to purchase DetectorPro headphones over any other brand you should go with the Black Widow's. The retail price on the Gray Ghost Ultimates are $130, and the Gray Ghost "No Down Time" are $140. The Black Widow's also retail at $140, but are discounted down to $126.

Spent 10 years trying to find out the right combination of headphones that would match the Minelab SD/GP series. Years ago I really liked the Koss TD80 & 81. The stock Koss UR-30's are even better than them.

People assume the higher the ohm's, the better the headphones. Well in most cases that is correct, but many claim their low ohm headphones work better than some of the higher ohm's. I believe it comes down to individual hearing, as some even have to use amp's/boosters to make up for the hearing loss they might have.

I've done enough side-by-side comparision to know what is the best for me and what is the best for people that have decent hearing still. People with severe hearing lose might have to experiment around with headphones and amps/boosters to find the best combination for them.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Hey Rob, ok I'm glad everything is cool and I don't ever want to interfere with any of your deals Rob. But your right everyones hearing is a little different and so we have to find what fits us as individuals. Ok Rob I will chat to you later and God Bless ya. I wish you much success Rob in your business. CU later.

John Tomlinson, CET

Thanks everyone for your oppinions(thats why this is the best site)

Ive been out prospecting new spots, havent found what Im looking for yet.

Boy this is alot differnt than dredging, when you get "skunked" you really get "skunked"

well thanks again and Ill be posting more new posts...................thanks airboy

• Admin

Hello Guys,

John - I always wish you the best of success. Helping others become successful is a great thing. I have given you the best advice for your business as I could in the past. I'm hoping you can capture some of the coin/relic business over there, which is much larger than the gold prospecting market. Just remember, everything comes back around full-circle. When you become "big-time" don't forget about me. :D

Airboy - Yep, detecting is much different than dredging. Although, you have a much better shot at finding a larger nuggets, at least here in Arizona. I have a true passion to dredge and hopefully I can get enough time free to give California or maybe Alaska a dredging run. The advantage of detecting is the fact you can cover so much ground in very little time. Kind of like "Cherry-Picking" the shallow areas for nuggets! :lol: The old-timers might have shot us down knowing we could just run across the ground and scan for shallow nuggets rather than having to dig and sample everywhere.

Did you ever decide on a pair of headphones?

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison